Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SCCY CPX-RD: worthy of consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    ...Granted $300 is more than $200, but maybe $100 is the difference between thrifty and cheap.
    You have a point on this forum and for a lot of people, at least. Among many of my coworkers and local codgers living on Social Security, $100 is exactly the difference between a trailer loan payment and the bank taking their home to end up living in their car. Or could be spent on 500 rounds (make it 400 and then could also add a cabled lockbox for some level of secure storage) of 9mm/.380 to have a handgun and half-case of experience under their belt in the time it would take to save for a posurp striker gun. Given that my CPX-3 went back to maker within a few hundred rounds (still worked just way gross trigger that started instantly out of nowhere) I'm still not sure it's a worthwhile expenditure on a gun someone'd need right now. But if they were just getting one with time for mothership to sort any issues that may well crop up, I wouldn't personally be the rain cloud over their parade. My FFL would though as he refuses to so much as order one in even for the customer he knows will grind on stuff until there is either no more problem or no more gun. I had to order online and transfer through him.

With the income many P-F users have, and several have listed as equaling two range trips of ammo, it hardly be a sacrifice to try one out if only out of curiosity if one were so inclined. I'd be interested to see if opinions softened or were confirmed with more personal trigger time behind a meaningful number of units in experienced hands. All I can say is that, in my minimal experience (sample of one) and economic state of many around me, SCCY seems serviceable. And being serviceable while coming with 2-3 magazines, comprehensive warranty, quick warranty service, 10-round capacity, compact size, and costing only a hair over the non-ambi boat anchor that is a Hi-Point which comes with one or two magazines is a better use of some spare discretionary budget than I initially expected.

Setting up targets for the next range trip this morning, noticed a used backer from the autumn I hadn't cleared off before putting away. I don't like giving myself higher scores by the grease ring so counted the rightmost hit as a nine-pointer.

https://www.swatmag.com/article/five...hooting-drill/

It's a new year so revisiting a couple L.E. agency qualifications to photo and have a friend witness should happen soon. Wasn't feeling the F.B.I. or my state's qual. Neither did I desire to clean fouling off my carry guns (which didn't work out as I shot the Four Corners Drill and some ball and dummy against the 2" circles and 1" squares with the LCR in my pocket afterward) so decided to just have some fun with the SCCY on a drizzly day and a course of fire noted in my range cards.

Shot the Kansas CPOST handgun qualification clean with my CPX-3. All shots within the bottle count same so I ran both reps of the the 1.5-3 yard stage as a failure to stop, both reps of the third 7 yard stage as a failure to stop, and shot the 25 yard stages first so I could mark hits and be accountable for misses rather than guess within a chewed-up center:

50/50 100% as-scored against the 35/50 70% minimum requirement. Landed 3/4 of my headshots within the 3"x5" headbox (let front sight sit proud of the rear on a 7 yarder). Dropped no shots outside the 8" grey ring in stages closer than 25 yards. Landed half the 25 yard shots within the ring. Crammed 37/46 center-of-mass aimed shots within the 6" white circle I personally prefer to tag. So 38/50 76% passing run if scored by my personal ideal. Forgot to mention all shots well within par times.

All ammunition was from a single box of Winchester Service Grade* 95 grain full metal jacket flat point. No stoppages with either Service Grade or White Box to date. Gun was carried in my homeroll kydex AIWB under a fleece vest. Used the flush floorplates for all but the last ten shots fired. Didn't use the pinkie extension magazine for any reason other than it having been loaded while prepping for the range trip. No point to any of this post other than that I had photographed the target after a timed/scored course of fire and this thread is still active so might as well.

* Anybody know if this is made to different specifications or tolerances than White Box or just repackaged?

I don't know if their RDS equipped guns are a great idea, depends on how robust the electronics will be, which someone here said they might not be, so much.

I have a CPX-2. I like it. I am a Glock guy, but this gun has its place in our battery.

I had searched for a gun this small, smaller and lighter than a G26, for example, but with a decent capacity (double stack).

Beyond this, and its clone-brother, the P-11, what else is there? Everything this small is less capacity, and everything with this capacity is bigger/heavier. I guess the industry hasn't sensed a need for this animal...

Just a little over 600 rounds through it now. 4 or 5 failures to go all the way into battery during the first 50-60 rounds (classic break-in kind of thing, I think). Quick smack of the slide, and carried on.

Since then, it's been fully reliable. It's run with the same variety of fodder I've put through my Glocks, i.e. JHP, FMJ, and plated 115, 124, & 147 gr. It's loaded with the same thing our other pistols are at the moment, RA9T.

For me, it is absolutely a pocket gun. Cheap Uncle Mike's does the job. Carried this way, support side, as a BUG only. Doesn't come out of the pocket as smoothly as a Jframe, but it works fine. I can meet the two second standard with it.

Only time it's carried as primary is running, in clip-on Kydex made from a shell from holsterbuilder.com. Just did 3 more miles with it this morning before work. Works great for that, nice having 10 rounds on board.

Trigger is long and heavy, sort of revolver-like, typical DAO. No big deal. Not crazy accurate, but serves its purpose.

I have not seen the need to baby it, cleaning or lubing while shooting, mine isn't finicky like that.

Longevity? We'll see. Not gonna be running it in any "1,000 rounds in a weekend" courses.

I've found the factory recoil springs are weak as hell, they seem "spent" and mushy after 50-60 rounds. P-11 spring from Kel Tecs website are stronger, work great, and cheap.

Decent gun for the money, IMHO. I will say I think I got lucky with mine though, as there are alot of less than stellar reports about them out there.

Waiting for delivery

Yesterday (2-8) I ordered the 9mm non-safety version of the SCCY. Black frame with stainless slide. I hope to have it maybe next week. Still waiting on shipping confirmation.

I have read this thread and just gonna roll the dice and see how things work out. A friend of mine has one and so do his family members. Positive reviews on the pistol.

Decades ago I purchased a .32acp North American Arms pistol.........think Seecamp. I shot the crap out of it vetting function. Its been 100%. Don't carry it, although it is small enough. For its size, its quite heavy, especially compared to the LCP .380.

Delivered!

So I picked up my SCCY Tuesday. Haven't gotten to the range due to copious amounts of rain. I am impressed with the workmanship. As far as I can tell, flawless appearance. Slide machining looks great with no obvious shortcuts.
    Disassembled, cleaned and lubricated and ready to shoot. I prefer the pinky extension on the grip.........provides a secure full-fingered grip. As of now, no regrets on purchase. Will get to the range ASAP when the rain lets up. Then we will see how she functions.

Mine works well whether it's raining or not. Jess sayin'!

Put a MCARBO Spring kit in your Sccy pistols you will be surprised at the improvement in the trigger pull.

I looked at that. Not sure I would want it, but the installation video in the link is a really cool way to see all the internal workings of the design itself. Well worth a look:

https://www.mcarbo.com/sccy-cpx-2-tr...pring-kit.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I looked at that. Not sure I would want it, but the installation video in the link is a really cool way to see all the internal workings of the design itself. Well worth a look:

https://www.mcarbo.com/sccy-cpx-2-tr...pring-kit.aspx
    If you try it you will not be disappointed.

User Tag List