Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCCY CPX-RD: worthy of consideration?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Having to scrub the bore and breechface and re-lube the rails multiple times in a range session...to say nothing of three or four times a day in a training class environment...would seem to seriously hinder the utility of a pistol.

In their defense, the guns are not marketed to customers likely to run into those problems.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-15-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Edit: Whoops.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 01-15-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    SCCY, maker of very inexpensive 9mm DAO pistols, is coming out with a factory red dot option on all their guns. ... Anyone have info on the durability, reliability, etc. Of these guns? Can the triggers be smoothed out with some polishing?
    I'm glad that you've asked. A friend asked me about SCCY, and I know nothing about them. I'm tempted to invoke the line of @Lester Polfus of "I can't afford guns that cheap," so I'm interested in learning about them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    1) Not much. The cheapest ammo I buy and my powderpuff handloads fail to eject now and then if it's dirty so brushing it down like I would my wheelguns and lubing like I do my carry autos is easy to remember. Rather than run hotter handloads or more expensive ammo, I just keep it clean it. First stoppage was binding the mag when the follower caught the slide catch cut-out, swelled the body, and went wonky before it wore in. Second was a PPU hollowpoint hung up on the feedramp as the only feedway stoppage. After about 250 rounds, got a couple FtE and cleaned the thing. So fifty rounds is an easy number to schedule a quick brushing with lots of leeway if I forget. Granted my handloads use Unique and home cast range scrap lead so are rather dirty.

2) I didn't. Just handy to save me remembering to bring dummies and then chase them around National Forest clearings. For playing games with feed reliability, do plan to cast, powdercoat, size, and load some Lee 105 grain semi-wadcutters the next warm day to load over a middling charge of powder for my own amusement.
    I’m sorry dude, but so far in 2020 I have:

Ran 500 rounds through a SIG P320 X-Carry in a single day and did nothing except load the magazines and shoot it. No cleaning, no lubing, just load and shoot. That was New Year’s Day.

On Jan 16, I ran 500 through a Beretta PX4 pistol.....same deal as the SIG. Load mags, shoot drill, repeat. No brushing, cleaning, lubing nothing.

Neither gun had any stoppages of any kind. The pistols just worked. That’s what I want in a centerfire pistol. If I have to clean it out, say, 10 times in a range session then I’m not interested. I’m there practice shooting, not handgun maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I’m sorry dude
    Sorry for what? I bought it because I was curious how terrible a milled steel pistol at the $hi-point price tag could be. Got a fun range toy with nice trigger. If the cheap thing is fussy about cleaning, it's hardly a surprise.

Site Supporter
    Sorry for what? I bought it because I was curious how terrible a milled steel pistol at the $hi-point price tag could be. Got a fun range toy with nice trigger. If the cheap thing is fussy about cleaning, it's hardly a surprise.
    I think your screen name may lead some of us to believe you are more enthusiastic about the pistol than you really are.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm glad that you've asked. A friend asked me about SCCY, and I know nothing about them. I'm tempted to invoke the line of @Lester Polfus of "I can't afford guns that cheap," so I'm interested in learning about them.
    Sample size of one. A friend ignored the advice of everyone involved to get a Glock 19 and bought one of the SCCY models. Not sure which one.

It wouldn't reliably make it through the amount of ammo you might reasonably expect to need a one-felon fight. We replaced his cheap ass 115 grain commie ammo with some decent brass cased stuff and it didn't help.

Not sure if he's tested their warranty policy. I suspect he took at home and put it in a drawer and tried not to think about it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Honestly, your screen name makes it sound like you’re pretty high on the product. That, in turn, made me want to at least try to be polite while I countered that I wouldn’t put up with that level of required maintenance even in a range toy. If you’re happy with it, you do you. I put up with the various foibles of 22LR handguns because I value the cheap ammo thing and find there is training value in a rimfire.

Center fires are a different story. For the price of a SCCY, I’d rather buy a case of 9mm ball or a bunch of bullets/primers/powder. If I’m gonna shoot a centerfire, I want the thing to work. About all I’m really willing to accept is a quick brush under the extractor star on a revolver every so often, and the revolvers I really shoot a lot don’t need that every 50 rounds.

I get what the SCCY offers, an inexpensive pistol. Truthfully though, if that was my budget, I’d start scouring the used gun racks or wait on a coworker who needs cash right now to find something that has a better reputation for reliability

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Truthfully though, if that was my budget, I’d start scouring the used gun racks or wait on a coworker who needs cash right now to find something that has a better reputation for reliability
    This week I saw an auction on GunBroker for a new Beretta APX compact end with no bids. The no reserve starting price for the pistol was $279. I know this is more than a SCCY, but you can buy a really solid new pistol pretty inexpensively right now. Granted $300 is more than $200, but maybe $100 is the difference between thrifty and cheap.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I only know of one person that bought a sccy, first time he shot it he had 30 some ftf in 50 rounds of two different brands of ammo. He didn't bother shooting it anymore that day. He called sccy and told them the problem and they sent him 2 new magazines. He said there has been no more problems. He said something about looking up info on them and the magazines are usually the culprit. I don't know if it is packing grease or just sloppy tolerances on the magazines or what.

I believe he said he has shot another 300 ish rounds through it since they gave him new magazines, so take that for what it is worth. Oh and it was the 9mm no safety version.

User Tag List