Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCY CPX-RD: worthy of consideration?

How would you compare your Shield the to the SCCY?

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post

While I carried it I couldn't wait to switch to a different gun. It's kind of a pain in the ass to carry AIWB for some reason, I think because of the shape of the muzzle end most of the pistol carries outside and over the belt line.
    That is one concern, the 3" barrel is just unnecessarily short for IWB carry, and I could see it tending to tip outward due to all the mass being in the grip. However, I would think good holster design could mitigate that. Would be nice if they released a 3.75" barreled version, or at least a threaded barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post

There are trigger kits for them now
    https://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/c...cy-cpx-pistols
    Neat upgrade. Price is very reasonable. However, I find it hard to believe you can reduce trigger travel in a DAO gun by 50%. I am also unsure it would be desirable. I do strongly prefer metal trigger shoes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I tried several SD type rounds with varying success... 124 & 147 gr HST, 147 gr Golden Saber, 124 gr Black Hills 124 gr +P (Gold Dot bullets), 124 gr and 147 gr Speer Gold Dots... it was hit or miss as far as the feeding went. The old Corbon Pow'RBall feed great, but is pretty darn snappy in this light weight gun, expensive as well.
    That is very dissapointing. If it cannot feed Gold Dots or HST's, that would be a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I put 50 rounds* through my CPX-3 (380 ACP, came with three 10-round magazines, no manual safety), today. It's up to a 500+ rounds in my hands, both kids, wife, several friends of various experience, friend's novice wife. Little thing runs reliably if the barrel and breech face/extractor are brushed every fifty rounds or so and slide rails lubed every hundred or so. Has not shown to be ammo sensitive, so far. Will chamber an empty case more often than not so I use one for ball and dummy drills. Also carries well at the range in a homeroll kydex clip-on AIWB.

All stoppages have been while dirty or while screwing up the mags while loading (possible while they break in). Well, except one PPU hollowpoint but those have choked several other 380 ACPs in the safe.

Edit: The trigger on my CPX-3 is genuinely good. Light and smooth. Not quite Beretta 92D good but good nonetheless.
    Needing to clean every 100 rounds would be a dealbreaker for me....

Negative. Just the standard CPX-1 (safety) and CPX-2 (no safety) milled for the dot. Someone has a decent test unit on Youtube, right now:

https://youtu.be/SRvaA32JsoA
    I will check that out. I really like his channel.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    How would you compare your Shield the to the SCCY?
    Very much not my Shield EZ so limited trigger time. The rollpin holding the loaded chamber indicator walked out the side and I had to re-center and flare the ends to hope it holds going forward. Also seems to run an assortment of ammo just fine. Bit less fussy about being kept squeaky clean. Borh slides are very easy to rack though my meathooks are less cramped on the taller SCCY slide. Recoil also comparable. Smith sights seem to drive the dot versus a dead center hold on the CPX-3. Would absolutely not consider the safetyless EZ. That is a rather light and short trigger so it'd creep me out.

However, and a big however for the target market, the Shield EZ is intolerant of limp-wristing. The CPX-3 runs for people that get stovepoes in the Smith:

I prefer DAO or DA/SA to SAO in general so like my little cheapie. Wife adores her Shield EZ after years of trying to accept the recoil and muzzle vlast of 9x19mm pistols. Her timed shooting has improved more in a few range trips using the EZ than years of 9mm frustration in several guns.

I now have a problem:

https://www.sccy.com/handguns/cpx-3rd/

Do I get a 9mm with red dot as initially planned or the 380 ACP with red dot that I just learned about? Already have a .380 and the mags would all interchange. Also show me more meaningful stuff on a timer while playing around. But the 9x19mm would likely have more oomph to slam the slide around and be less needy about keeping clean.

The concept of a medium-ish sized 380 ACP with light recoil, healthy capacity, smooth trigger, easy racking alide, and easy to use red dot really seems nice for a lot of under-served folks. And another option in my safe for new shooters to try.

My daughter also wants my CPX-3. If the red dot works out, she could maybe have my current ironed gun. That's a lie now that I've typed it. She'd get a purple iron sighted .380 later because I like my little blue derp.

Well darn. I might just pick one of these up for my wife. She very new to shooting and is learning on a .380 S&W Shield (that she picked out). But she's mentioned she is interested in a RDS handgun. This might be an affordable option. As I've "restarted" handloading .380 it'd be affordable to shoot as well.

She has a lot of health issues and upper body strength issues/weakness. But most of this could be overcome with proper technique as long as this gun is subjectively manageable.

Interesting.

Didn't realize how much smaller the grip on the 380 model is!

@Tamara wrote a bit about the base CPX-3 pistol for Recoil and summarized at her blog at https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspo...-all-time.html
    Last edited by farscott; 01-15-2020 at 05:03 AM.

I just can't get past the un-adjustable in any manner "backup sights". If the red dot goes out, those become primary sights. And red dots going out isn't exactly uncommon.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Little thing runs reliably if the barrel and breech face/extractor are brushed every fifty rounds or so and slide rails lubed every hundred or so.
    This sounds oddly specific. How did you settle on these maintenance intervals? What happens if they are not followed?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal
    Has not shown to be ammo sensitive, so far. Will chamber an empty case more often than not so I use one for ball and dummy drills.
    I wish people would quit using this as a proxy for feed reliability. Especially in a tilting-barrel short-recoil-operated pistol, chambering an empty case proves nothing except that the gun will chamber an empty case. Since chambering empty cases isn't a thing I normally need a pistol to do, I don't care if they can.

Meanwhile, have a picture of a failure-to-eject...

Name:  ECB65520-EF85-4EAB-AA5E-E32CC331B83A.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  38.4 KB

EDITED TO ADD: I'm especially unenthused about the "Crimson Trace" optic. Since AOBC acquired the Crimson Trace company from its original owners several years ago, they've been plastering the brand name on crap generic Chicom-sourced electro-optics of the sort usually seen with labels like "Barska" and "UTG". This especially hurts because I was formerly an unabashed Crimson Trace fangirl, as their products were well-engineered and U.S.-made at their Oregon factory.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-15-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    1) This sounds oddly specific. How did you settle on these maintenance intervals? What happens if they are not followed?

2) I wish people would quit using this as a proxy for feed reliability.
    1) Not much. The cheapest ammo I buy and my powderpuff handloads fail to eject now and then if it's dirty so brushing it down like I would my wheelguns and lubing like I do my carry autos is easy to remember. Rather than run hotter handloads or more expensive ammo, I just keep it clean it. First stoppage was binding the mag when the follower caught the slide catch cut-out, swelled the body, and went wonky before it wore in. Second was a PPU hollowpoint hung up on the feedramp as the only feedway stoppage. After about 250 rounds, got a couple FtE and cleaned the thing. So fifty rounds is an easy number to schedule a quick brushing with lots of leeway if I forget. Granted my handloads use Unique and home cast range scrap lead so are rather dirty.

2) I didn't. Just handy to save me remembering to bring dummies and then chase them around National Forest clearings. For playing games with feed reliability, do plan to cast, powdercoat, size, and load some Lee 105 grain semi-wadcutters the next warm day to load over a middling charge of powder for my own amusement.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-15-2020 at 09:55 AM.

User Tag List