Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCY CPX-RD: worthy of consideration?

SCCY CPX-RD: worthy of consideration?

SCCY, maker of very inexpensive 9mm DAO pistols, is coming out with a factory red dot option on all their guns. They use the Crimson Trace 1500 MRDS, which as far as I know is new for 2020, and the factory front sight is visible through the notch in the red dot sight. For those unfamiliar these are copies if the KelTec P11. They use a 10 round staggered magazine sort of like a G48, with a chassis system and a grip frame that is a bit thicker than a G48. The MSRP is just $100 over the normal models, so street price should be $300 out the door.

I have been searching for a DAO or DA/SA option for when I dont feel like packing my P07. One big problem with every option I have looked at is the sights. DAO pistols arent "in" right now and, besides the Springfield XDE, no one even makes a DA/SA in this size class. If this proves to be shootable and reliable, and the Crimson Trace MRDS acts like my Holosun, this little pistol could potentially change that. Additionally the price is one half that of a Kahr P9 with aftermaket sights, which seems to be the only legitimate option on the market right now.

I have never fired a SCCY pistol. I did handle one in a gun shop. The gun felt cheap, too big for a pocket pistol, and with its crappy sights I didnt think of it as a serious consideration for an IWB/AIWB pistol and lost interest.

Anyone have info on the durability, reliability, etc. Of these guns? Can the triggers be smoothed out with some polishing?

It's a gun that I'd like to see someone else do a 2k test on, but wouldn't want to spend my own money to do so.

If you want to do so, please do, and post the results.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Claude Werner has shot them.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/tag/sccy/

I think he is still a member here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    SCCY, maker of very inexpensive 9mm DAO pistols, is coming out with a factory red dot option on all their guns. They use the Crimson Trace 1500 MRDS, which as far as I know is new for 2020, and the factory front sight is visible through the notch in the red dot sight. For those unfamiliar these are copies if the KelTec P11. They use a 10 round staggered magazine sort of like a G48, with a chassis system and a grip frame that is a bit thicker than a G48. The MSRP is just $100 over the normal models, so street price should be $300 out the door.

I have been searching for a DAO or DA/SA option for when I dont feel like packing my P07. One big problem with every option I have looked at is the sights. DAO pistols arent "in" right now and, besides the Springfield XDE, no one even makes a DA/SA in this size class. If this proves to be shootable and reliable, and the Crimson Trace MRDS acts like my Holosun, this little pistol could potentially change that. Additionally the price is one half that of a Kahr P9 with aftermaket sights, which seems to be the only legitimate option on the market right now.

I have never fired a SCCY pistol. I did handle one in a gun shop. The gun felt cheap, too big for a pocket pistol, and with its crappy sights I didnt think of it as a serious consideration for an IWB/AIWB pistol and lost interest.

Anyone have info on the durability, reliability, etc. Of these guns? Can the triggers be smoothed out with some polishing?
    I have put 56 rounds through one. I hated every moment of it.

It ran the 50 ball rounds I forced myself to complete just fine, but couldn’t get through the magazine of JHPs. Got hung up just trying to load the rounds from the magazine into the chamber, every single round. Blech.

I can see the design similarities to the P11 as I owned and carried a P11 for several years, but if it is a copy, it is a poopy one. My P11 ran with everything I ever fired through it, the magazines were vastly superior, materials and workmanship were superior, trigger was better and it was more accurate. I sold it to get something I wanted more that was easier to shoot well, but it was a reliable and functional gun I’d carry again (after replacing the crap sights). I have a P32 I won’t get rid of, as when I need a functional gun smaller than a cell phone, there it is.

I won’t fire another round through a SCCY, let alone subject myself to the punishment of a 2000 round test. The only reason I still have the one I fired is that it belongs to a friend who needs me to host his firearms in my safe. I’d sooner run a 2k round test with a S&W SD40 or SD9. Those are a pleasure to shoot in comparison.

The one I had, a SCCY-2, recoiled a lot harder than a G26, it's pretty hard to shoot one handed especially with sweaty hands. There aren't any WML made for it either so you'd be forced to shoot it one handed, at night.

While I carried it I couldn't wait to switch to a different gun. It's kind of a pain in the ass to carry AIWB for some reason, I think because of the shape of the muzzle end most of the pistol carries outside and over the belt line.

edit: When they go on sale I might buy a one as a 'stash gun' but never a carry gun or even a loaner.
    Last edited by pooty; 01-12-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Site Supporter
    Back when I carried a Kel-Tec P11 these had pretty bad rep for breaking even more the Kel-Tec.

The rds is a cool option though and maybe they have fixed the problems now with the 4 generation.

There are trigger kits for them now
    https://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/c...cy-cpx-pistols

Shooting the P11 wasn't fun, it's up there with jframe level of not fun OMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had one I purchased from a fellow locally back in 2018. I don't even know if he ever shot it.

I put a bit over 1000 rounds through it before giving it to my Son. (He doesn't carry but wanted an inexpensive "house gun". "Free" was well within his budget.)

I had several failures to feed within the first 100 or so rounds handloaded ball ammo (7 or 8). The handloads included 130 gr powder coated we cast, 124 gr plated Berry's and 147 gr FMJ. The feeding issues disappeared after the first 100 rounds, the majority were within the first 50 rounds.

I tried several SD type rounds with varying success... 124 & 147 gr HST, 147 gr Golden Saber, 124 gr Black Hills 124 gr +P (Gold Dot bullets), 124 gr and 147 gr Speer Gold Dots... it was hit or miss as far as the feeding went. The old Corbon Pow'RBall feed great, but is pretty darn snappy in this light weight gun, expensive as well.

The trigger, as mentioned, is very revolver-like requiring a full length release/reset. But I warmed up to it pretty fast, but definitely admit to short stroking it at first.
    I blacked out the rear dots and put orange Testor's paint on the front sight.

For such a light gun I didn't find it punishing to shoot, especially with range fodder (handloads or WWB etc).

It it no ways compares to my Glock 26, but that would be an "apples to oranges" comparison imho. For the less than $200.00 I paid for it I considered it a decent bargain.

If/when one of these shows up locally I plan to give it a lookover.

I put 50 rounds* through my CPX-3 (380 ACP, came with three 10-round magazines, no manual safety), today. It's up to a 500+ rounds in my hands, both kids, wife, several friends of various experience, friend's novice wife. Little thing runs reliably if the barrel and breech face/extractor are brushed every fifty rounds or so and slide rails lubed every hundred or so. Has not shown to be ammo sensitive, so far. Will chamber an empty case more often than not so I use one for ball and dummy drills. Also carries well at the range in a homeroll kydex clip-on AIWB.

The trigger did get very gritty and heavy early-ish on. Returned to mothership and came back quickly with a new trigger and no comment regarding all of the modifications done. Blacked out rear, glitter red nail polish over white primer coat on the front sight, reprofiled slide stop to prevent me riding it, corners hogged off the trigger and smoothed to round it out. Immediately reshaped the new trigger as I had the old and it's been running well for a couple hundred rounds since return. Not setting my USP40c or LCR aside to carry it but quite happy as a range toy/new shooter into piece for the price and how well behaved it is for everyone. No one has disliked it to date.

All stoppages have been while dirty or while screwing up the mags while loading (possible while they break in). Well, except one PPU hollowpoint but those have choked several other 380 ACPs in the safe.

All of that to say that I'll be ordering the RDS equipped CPX-2 when our tax return comes in. Even if I don't carry it, be an entertainment value and way to play with red dots on pistols.

With the wife's M&P 380 Shield EZ. The snout of the SCCY's frame is much more black, now.

Front sight.

Clean Wizard Drill from AIWB under a plaid flannel when testing the service work.

And the OPOTA handgun qual for funsies. QIT equivalent traced from a cardboard stencil made from a P-T target, 6" CoM ring, and 4" headbox.

* Modification of the "Short Class for those new to Concealed Carry" in Claude Werner's Advanced Pistol Practice e-book. Traced CD's for the circles at five yards, last six-round string dropped to five shots, and N.R.A. MQP Defensive Pistol I Pro-Marksman level added at the end. Ran through to both play with a fun gun and practice the course of fire to have it on mind when taking a novice friend out shooting soon.

Edit: The trigger on my CPX-3 is genuinely good. Light and smooth. Not quite Beretta 92D good but good nonetheless.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-12-2020 at 10:24 PM.

I believe the red dot versions are now striker fired.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I believe the red dot versions are now striker fired.
    Negative. Just the standard CPX-1 (safety) and CPX-2 (no safety) milled for the dot. Someone has a decent test unit on Youtube, right now:

https://youtu.be/SRvaA32JsoA

Just looked at the video comments after letting it run in the background. SCCY is releasing a striker-fired gun in 2020. It will be called the DVG-1 and available with plain irons or milled-in RDS in addition to the DAO linr-up:

https://www.sccy.com/handguns/dvg/

No personal interest in that one but will be curious to hear what others think.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-12-2020 at 10:49 PM.

User Tag List