Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Front sight - press

Site Supporter
    This will prove I'm a Boomer, and possibly annoy all the smart kids here, but I was taught as far back as 1977 by a guy named Cooper that you focus on the front sight for every dry fire and every round fired in practice and training. That way, when the stinky brown stuff hits the air circulation device your hands, arms and shoulders know how to align the handgun with where your eyes are looking, no matter if you can see the sights or not.

My experience over the years proved that to be true, but I suspect it's all out-dated now. OK, I'm going to take my meds and go lay down for a while. (smile)

Dave

Site Supporter
    Is there an optimal or recommended iron sight setup that works best for target-focused pistol shooting? Any specific brands/models of sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    That way, when the stinky brown stuff hits the air circulation device your hands, arms and shoulders know how to align the handgun with where your eyes are looking, no matter if you can see the sights or not.
    I think that most people call this "index" these days, and it must be present regardless which part on the four-point line you choose to keep sharp or blurry. Obviously, you'll hear no argument if you prefer a hard front sight focus on each and every shot.

Just curious, and that's an honest question: in 1977 how much shooting did Cooper do while moving rapidly, or at rapidly moving targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Is there an optimal or recommended iron sight setup that works best for target-focused pistol shooting? Any specific brands/models of sights?
    That's really a great question. For competition use, which in most instances also means "outdoors", there is not much debate that a fiberoptic sight of your preferred color is the way to go. For the defensive gun to me it is a much harder question. I've lost fiber on my game guns so many times that I won't consider it on a carry gun. Worse, in a low light scenarios (but good enough to ID the target) I've found zero visual difference between FO and plain black sights. Adding a third variable, low light, fiber sight, and non contrast target, and I had to resort for front sight focus because I couldn't make the dark front against dark target in a dark room when target focused.
    I now prefer tritium sights with bright outlines. A year ago I was blackening the bright outlines with a sharpie to give a bold definition of top font edge. Now I want that outline pop out against all backgrounds and to me it is usually bright yellow. I generally use Ameriglos.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Just curious, and that's an honest question: in 1977 how much shooting did Cooper do while moving rapidly, or at rapidly moving targets.
    My December 1977 250 class was a shake-down before they officially opened to the public. I was lucky in that the guest instructor helping Cooper was the legendary holster maker Bruce Nelson. Their emphasis when we moved was more about tactics than speed.

Going through the Donga, a kind of assault course through a many channeled wash, and the Fun House, the indoor building clearing exercise, they were very critical of our use (or non-use) of cover and our foot-work. They emphasized not getting caught with your feet crossed in case you had to move suddenly. Another biggie was running your gun dry. A locked back slide or the click of a revolver's hammer on an already fired chamber was punishable by purchasing a case of beer for the school.

The back porch on Cooper's double wide trailer (he hadn't started construction on his house yet) was stacked high with beer. After the final exercises on Saturday we all had a few beers and celebrated our graduation and the awarding of certificates.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 01-16-2020 at 08:48 PM.

My first Gunsite class was 1991, API 270 the rifle class, taught by Jeff. It was memorable as was he.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    My December 1977 250 class was a shake-down ....

Cool life experience. I was 9 years old then and played with toy guns literally at the opposite side of the globe.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Most of what we do today with a pistol can trace its roots to Gunsite.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Putting all the dogma aside, hitting your intended target is simply a function of achieving adequate muzzle orientation and then pulling the trigger in a manner that doesn't unacceptably disrupt that orientation.

There are many ways to achieve adequate muzzle orientation, some of which don't even involve the use of the sights. When the sights are used however, the degree in which they are utilized (sight focus vs target focus) can be best described as a continuum - NOT an absolute.

Along those same lines, there are many ways to pull the trigger and we all know how the variables (weight of pull, arc & range of movement, trigger shape, etc) effect us all in generally subjective ways.

Lastly, the more hand/eye coordination you have "naturally", the less any of this seems to matter. For most of us however, predictable performance is best achieved with proper training and practice and the proof is in the pudding …. not the process.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Just curious, and that's an honest question: in 1977 how much shooting did Cooper do while moving rapidly, or at rapidly moving targets?.
    From reading him, a lot of the latter, to include clay pigeons and jackrabbits. Not much of the former; he was very focused on making a good shot (if you can get... steadier, get steadier).

He was also a relatively good point shooter. George or some of the others may know better, but I think you could substantiate through his writing that he believed in something very like index shooting / target focus at the level of mastery.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Are there any tips that would help someone develop their target focus ability if they have never consciously utilized it before?

User Tag List