Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front sight - press

Front sight - press

Was screwing around with different things at the range today, shot this

This is a walk back drill from 10 to 25 yards. Three shots were fired from 25 yards, including the single miss. The circle is 4 inches. The gun is an old Kimber in .45, veeery broken in trigger, .110 front with a fiber post inside a tight TTI rear sight notch. Pace faster than bullseye, slower than Bill Drill.

None of that is impressive or interesting. What's interesting is that this was shot with a target focus, every single shot. I've started to play with it about 18 months ago, after a Stoeger class, then I went slide mounted optic route on almost everything I shoot so all target focused there, and now when I shoot irons, I try to go all in too. The hardest part is to get rid of the habit after which this thread is titled.

That's all.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Hammertime
    So you allow sights to be blurry?

At this point they almost always are whether I want them to be or not and I have found that a blurry front sight really doesn’t matter much. This has delayed my interest in a dot a bit.

Yes. The target is as sharp as my -2.25 OD / -4.75 OS, uncorrected, would allow. Front sight's blurry, in this case it was indoors so the fiber didn't matter. When I do this outdoors, I use fiber as a dot. I used to dull my fiber with a sharpie, now it is opposite. I want it as a bright as possible.

Two things in this case were helpful in getting such result. First, no time pressure so I was able to correctly reference the front sight to rear notch, even though both were blurry. When I do it at speed, I tend to just shoot just the front sight and we know that in many cases this is fine. Sometimes it does bite me in the ass and serves as a reminded that solid index is needed not only for the RDS shooting. Second, the setup was in a contrast scheme that my eyes like the best for accuracy shooting. This doesn't matter much for USPSA since their targets, whether paper or steel, give me enough contrast. This does matter for carry guns, and what I like for my carry irons today is quite different from one year ago.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Following as this is something I am struggling to accommodate myself, a blurry sight picture.
    I have taken a liking to the Heine sights with a diy orange over white hi-vis front. Interested in hearing what sights others have found to work well for those of us with presbyopia. I shoot HK exclusively so that does limit my choices.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Making an accurate shot requires a lot less on the sights than people think. It's mostly about trigger. All we are looking for is "enough" sights to make the hit. If you can get away with a target focus and still make the hit, go for it.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    Interested in hearing what sights others have found to work well for those of us with presbyopia.
    Choice #1: reflex sights
    Choice #2: narrow front fiber optic, plain serrated rear

When it comes to choice #2, my eyes prefer the front blade to be about .025 - .030 thinner than the rear sight notch.

For years my front sight vision issue (near sighted plus presbyiopia after correcting for near sightedness) was fixed with monovision contacts but in the last year, diminishing returns hit. By the time I got a dominant eye dialed in for a sharp front sight, the target was stupid blurry.

Then last year I got Varilux X progressive multi-focal glasses. I don't know how they do it. But if the lighting is decent (outdoor in daylight) front sight and target ie B8 is sharp. They are spectacular lens with incredible clarity.

That all said, really good shooting can be done with target focus. I was pretty pleased with playing around with it last year. A Hi-Viz front sight is pretty helpful for quick work and transitions with the color blob working like a red dot.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Making an accurate shot requires a lot less on the sights than people think. It's mostly about trigger. All we are looking for is "enough" sights to make the hit. If you can get away with a target focus and still make the hit, go for it.
    How much "Sights" are enough for a low probability shot though, think 15 yards and out on a 3×5 eye box will the trigger, and target focus allow one to make that hit consistently?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Choice #1: reflex sights
    Choice #2: narrow front fiber optic, plain serrated rear

When it comes to choice #2, my eyes prefer the front blade to be about .025 - .030 thinner than the rear sight notch.
    I have heard that reflex/rds can be problematic in the rain, I have been thinking of trying a fiber optic front but I have seen them fly out of other people's guns or break during a match, being that all my guns are carry guns bombproof reliability in all conditions is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    How much "Sights" are enough for a low probability shot though, think 15 yards and out on a 3×5 eye box will the trigger, and target focus allow one to make that hit consistently?
    Totally shooter dependent. A perfect press will allow less sight refinement. An imperfect press requires more sight alignment. Also dependent on target size. A B8 bull at 15 yards is more forgiving than one at 25.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List