Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Front sight - press

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    From reading him, a lot of the latter, to include clay pigeons and jackrabbits. Not much of the former; he was very focused on making a good shot (if you can get... steadier, get steadier).

He was also a relatively good point shooter. George or some of the others may know better, but I think you could substantiate through his writing that he believed in something very like index shooting / target focus at the level of mastery.
    You just made me remember a story about Jeff boondocking in Mexico, carrying a 1911 in .38 Super, because .45 was verboten there. Some large bird flew over, and he shot it with his 1911, which featured notably in a chapter of one of his books.

In the Gunsite rifle class, we shot moving clay pigeons with our .308 bolt rifles. Also did that at his Whittington reunions. My proudest rifle moment was breaking two successive clay pigeons with Finn Aagard’s Mauser .30-06.

Despite his later displeasure with IPSC, Jeff was one of the original gamers, and loved technical shooting challenges.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    Are there any tips that would help someone develop their target focus ability if they have never consciously utilized it before?
    Please dont take this as a qualified advice or tip. I dont have anything to show for to claim any sme on this. Below is my frame work to improve this.

1. You still need your sights aligned but now your visual plane is way out of front sight's, and waaaaay out of year's. I work on index which to me now means front sight pointing where I look AND front and rear aligned.

Side track: when people cant pick their dot fast, it automatically means they dont bring their irons up correctly aligned too. I never realized how much micro adjustments I had to do with my irons alignment even if front sight was on target.

So, whatever exercises or modalities i use, i need to be sure that when I bring my irons, they are aligned. I use dot shooting and SAFE exercise for that.

Once I am reasonably sure of the above, I just try to commit to go all in on it but avoid point shooting. Easier said than done.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Without a distinctive aiming reference on that, a "pattern" is normal.

Try it with an actual B8 down there and see how it do. Goal is just keep the irons in the black, work the trigger.
    I will try that. Interestingly, the last time I shot group in a class setting the instructor (Steve Anderson) specifically advocated a 'zone' aiming technique and did not advocate an aiming point such as a paster on a USPSA head box. Results were good from 25 yards and in with a dot. Over the years I have heard many different opinions on this, and both have worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    Are there any tips that would help someone develop their target focus ability if they have never consciously utilized it before?
    I'd say just go out and try it. Use a B8 like I did so you can have something crisp to focus on the target at a reasonable 7-10 yards. Shift your focus from the front sight to the target and back, fire a few shots and see how it goes. Adjust distance as you go.

Target focus on a single static target with iron sights seems unnecessary. I get the most out of target focus shooting with irons on an array of targets, a moving target, or when I'm shooting on the move.

Here's a good way to train target focus: 6 shots on a standard 3 target array: shoot 2 on one target, look at the center of the scoring area on the next target, then and only then move your gun to engage that target, etc.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Target focus on a single static target with iron sights seems unnecessary. I get the most out of target focus shooting with irons on an array of targets, a moving target, or when I'm shooting on the move.

Here's a good way to train target focus: 6 shots on a standard 3 target array: shoot 2 on one target, look at the center of the scoring area on the next target, then and only then move your gun to engage that target, etc.
    Crawl, walk, run

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Context is king! Thanks for that tip. I'm looking forward to this Sunday.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

All 175 rounds of my range trip yesterday were fired with the target focus.

I posted some particulars on a couple of the DoW results. This one for example.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....348#post983348

I was very aware of a feeling that I was able to better concentrate on a good trigger press without any concentration going into managing even light bars around the rear sight etc.

I shot it with contact lens - that are wearing long on their 30 day life span, a condition which results in their correction being less acute than when new. Therefore my sights were distinctly fuzzy. Next week I'll try it with the Varilux X glasses and clear sights, but still focused on the target.

I think I preferred this exercise with the HD yellows on the G17 vs the black with tritium Warren front sight on my G45 but my hits were really equal between the two.

I also did some two and three target transitions which I was pretty satisfied with.

These DoWs and the transitions were not shot like I was trying to go full speed. The DoW had their par times which allowed for a classic "rapid fire" cadence which leaves some time for "patience" which is a weakness of mine.

When all was said and done over 90% of the hits were in the upper third of the lower A zone which I liked.

From 25 yards with the G22 I fired the three hits marked with green sharpie and connected for the upper A zone/headbox slowfire and I'll take that any day shooting Glocks.

Attachment 47500
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I try to shoot target focus as much as I can for any action/defensive pistol shooting. I find myself dropping back into a comfortable front sight focus occasionally in matches when i'm shooting like a b#%!&, but my practice sessions tell me I can get away with target focus on any difficulty of target presentation in USPSA at any level. One of my biggest take-aways from nationals this year was that I shot too conservatively on several difficult stages, and found myself falling back on a hard front sight focus when I didn't need it. At local matches, I make a conscious effort to target focus everything.
    Based on your record of shooting discussed on these pages, this counts for a lot. Follow up question: do you suppose that target focus enhances general SA concerning a target, assessment and such things?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Based on your record of shooting discussed on these pages, this counts for a lot. Follow up question: do you suppose that target focus enhances general SA concerning a target, assessment and such things?
    Yes definitely. There are a lot of benefits of training to shoot target focus that crossover into real world application, this being the primary one. I think most individuals in deadly force encounters tend to focus on the target anyway, which contributes to the poor hit ratio among law enforcement officers and concealed carry holders who are likely looking over their sights, having never practiced shooting with a target focus on the range and likely not even realize they are shooting target focused when under tremendous stress/pressure.

In my experience if you regularly train to bring your sights to your point of focus and shoot that way without transitioning your focal point back to your sights, you are going to be able to make accurate shots with a target focus sight picture under stress.

Site Supporter
    Tested this out last week and realized that I actually bring my sights to what I am focused on. I can't believe I have been target focus shooting all this time and didn't know it.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List