Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Training for the old(ish) and broken(wish) fellow

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Having been following that class through FB, that looked like a really good bunch of folks to train with, and with some great pair-ups. It sounds like you had the best of times, and I'm glad for that!
    Thanks very much. It really was a great time. This morning was a ibuprofen/coffee sort of day, but nothing I could not handle.

We had a super class. And a lot of folks are going to be back for Tac-Con in two months, so we'll have a chance to get together for a cup of coffee and see how our training has progressed.

That's one of the things I love about the training community - it really is a community. It's not just show up at a class and see the usual suspects. But you make great friends that want to help you, and find mentors that deeply care about your motivation and success.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Could not not agree more. I finally got to take my first Shivworks EWO class this weekend. I'm 62, and was not the oldest person there. I was probably tied with another fellow in his 60's as having the lowest level of fitness, as he has an active case of asthma. I'm just old, fat and beat up. Plus, I have plenty of orthopedic issues from decades of injuries that did not always receive skillful treatment.

One of the folks in the class turns 74 this year. He participated in every evo, and did very well. He rang my bell in the final evo, and was awesome!

Every single person in the class was supportive and helpful, and was able to dial up and dial down the intensity as needed with each training partner. I could not have found a better group or better mentor to train with. I was plenty tired, believe me! But I left very enthusiastic, and even more committed to training and fitness.

If you have concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly. You can call me and I'll be happy to answer any question you have.

You can do this.

I have been trying to convince you of that for years and trying to needle you into one of mine when I am there! I am glad you took the plunge with this and Larry's.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Sounds like there is hope for me (age 60) one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

That's one of the things I love about the training community - it really is a community. It's not just show up at a class and see the usual suspects. But you make great friends that want to help you, and find mentors that deeply care about your motivation and success.
    Briefly: this. You learn a lot about someone’s character, heart, humor, and kindness by banging in FoF type drills with them. I’m in fairly regular text with a number of folks that I met through ECQC/EWO/IAJJ work, and I can tell you that they have proven to be the types who will get your back when you need a hand. I’m pretty damn fond of both the student and instructor cadre at this point.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I have been trying to convince you of that for years and trying to needle you into one of mine when I am there! I am glad you took the plunge with this and Larry's.
    Which is why you are a Professor and why I am a student.

It seemed like every year I would either have a broken limb (not kidding) or have another class already scheduled. I remember hobbling into your class for the first time on a cane, nursing a torn Achilles in my left foot. Then the next year I had a broken right ankle and right wrist. That deprived me of your class, a Hackathorn pistol class and a Haught shotgun class that year.

I'm trying to get free for your Oklahoma class next month, but I have to get two new minions up to speed for that to happen. If I do, I'll bring a giant Bag o' Guns (trademark). I had two small duffle bags of stuff for Craig to fondle Sunday morning before class. I gots me some new stuff I think you'll like.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sounds like there is hope for me (age 60) one of these days.
    Do it, young fella. We'll talk more in March.

Old Guys...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm 52
    Just a Baby.

Well I'm new to this forum but not new to martial arts. 40+ years.

Yep... 65... hip replacement...foot surgery... time catches up.

But, you can still do quite well. I just finished my workout at Planet Fitness.

I do the cardo in their 30 min Cardo room. They let me shadow box.

So what I do is using the steppers I do a step routine then when both feet are on the floor I do, what Bruce Lee would call a two timing.

I do a high block and cross simultaneously followed by a shovel and then hook.

I cross back over the stepper and do the same with the opposite hand. Repeat till the green light they have goes red (3 min.)

Then I do a low block and 'tiger paw' simultaneously. I follow with a backfist and overhand. Again repeat on the other side of the stepper and do this till the green light goes red.

Then I do a low elbow block followed by a cross and hook. Repeat on the other side of the stepper and again... till the light goes red.

I have about a dozen of these combos I use on the stepper. Other times I practice bobs and weaves, other times dodging and slipping.

Other times footwork (shuffling and sliding)...

Just lots of good cardio while shadowboxing.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm 50 so age and a fear of getting my ass handed to me aren't my limitations at this stage. Fitness level needs work, but the biggest limits are the mileage. I have a screwed up Achilles, partially torn ACL, torn MCL, a few lumbar disks that aren't happy, and a torn bicep insertion that all have their unique issues. Biggest PITA, which I assume I will have to get cut and fixed, is a torn labrum in my dominant shoulder. The labral tear is the biggest limit on contact type activity. Rehabbed once and was able to keep going till second injury put me into the "you can lead a normal life without surgery" or you can get cut on to keep going with the contact related stuff (BJJ included) Opted for the no surgery route for as long as possible. I'm doing the rehab work, cardio and strength training, but the whole gym thing is about as enjoyable to me as a root canal, so was looking for some options.

There is a boxing gym down the street from the house. Will swing by to see what the have to offer.
    You read like a bad fall waiting to happen. Even if you have the foot speed to catch yourself if you slip or stumble, do you have the eccentric strength and stability to stop yourself? A big chunk of the non-contact injuries out there are really contact injuries with the ground via gravity.

Outside of a fall assessment from a PT and an all clear with a doctor, at least with BJJ you can start on the ground and negate some fall risk.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    You read like a bad fall waiting to happen. Even if you have the foot speed to catch yourself if you slip or stumble, do you have the eccentric strength and stability to stop yourself? A big chunk of the non-contact injuries out there are really contact injuries with the ground via gravity.

Outside of a fall assessment from a PT and an all clear with a doctor, at least with BJJ you can start on the ground and negate some fall risk.
    LOL.. I'm a wreck, but not there... yet anyway. Certain things are just beat up more than normal. I have full ROM and stability, so its not like Im crumbling. By the discussions here it seems that I may need to check my ego a lot more and not push as hard and find a gym or time that has a more diverse students The classes I was working in had lots of MMA types who were doing their stint at BJJ, so they were pretty aggressive. Plus I was going 3-5 days a week. Looking back it was overkill.

I'm thinking that for the next few months I will continue doing the gym routine and build up my fitness and strength levels before trying anything contact related. Work up from 1 day a week into 2 and so forth. Maybe I can find a happy medium where I have sufficient rest days to not ache and cause permanent issues but still get some training in.

Thanks again

User Tag List