Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Training for the old(ish) and broken(wish) fellow

Site Supporter
    I took my first ECQC at 52 and got my ass kicked by a 60 year old.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Thanks for the replies. I'm 50 so age and a fear of getting my ass handed to me aren't my limitations at this stage. Fitness level needs work, but the biggest limits are the mileage. I have a screwed up Achilles, partially torn ACL, torn MCL, a few lumbar disks that aren't happy, and a torn bicep insertion that all have their unique issues. Biggest PITA, which I assume I will have to get cut and fixed, is a torn labrum in my dominant shoulder. The labral tear is the biggest limit on contact type activity. Rehabbed once and was able to keep going till second injury put me into the "you can lead a normal life without surgery" or you can get cut on to keep going with the contact related stuff (BJJ included) Opted for the no surgery route for as long as possible. I'm doing the rehab work, cardio and strength training, but the whole gym thing is about as enjoyable to me as a root canal, so was looking for some options.

There is a boxing gym down the street from the house. Will swing by to see what the have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm 50 so age and a fear of getting my ass handed to me aren't my limitations at this stage. Fitness level needs work, but the biggest limits are the mileage. I have a screwed up Achilles, partially torn ACL, torn MCL, a few lumbar disks that aren't happy, and a torn bicep insertion that all have their unique issues. Biggest PITA, which I assume I will have to get cut and fixed, is a torn labrum in my dominant shoulder. The labral tear is the biggest limit on contact type activity. Rehabbed once and was able to keep going till second injury put me into the "you can lead a normal life without surgery" or you can get cut on to keep going with the contact related stuff (BJJ included) Opted for the no surgery route for as long as possible. I'm doing the rehab work, cardio and strength training, but the whole gym thing is about as enjoyable to me as a root canal, so was looking for some options.

There is a boxing gym down the street from the house. Will swing by to see what the have to offer.

Your body will far far more trauma doing boxing than BJJ. The only way to minimize that trauma is to do just solo work - pads, bags, shadowboxing, etc. - which has uses, but is not that great at prepping you for a self-defense scenario where you actually have to use your boxing. And even with solo work, you will be putting an inordinate amount of trauma into your wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

Any legitimate BJJ academy will accommodate someone who has physical issues. At our gym, we had a dentist who was in his late 50's when he started, and he got his black belt at 72. He has to watch how hard and often he rolls, but he can do it. You also can do positional sparring which mitigates a lot of the risk, and even at times if the injuries are flaring up, you can just drill, even at a light intensity. Any academy that already has a wide variety of students, to include older ones, will have no issue with someone going at their own needed pace.

AS well, Craig is an expert at making sure the intensity and pace of someone's personal experience in ECQC or EWO is safe while still being functionally useful. I do the same thing in my courses. I have had numerous students in their 70's, as well as small girls as young as 13, and I have never had a serious injury.

It can be done as long as you go to the right place and keep your own ego out of the way.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

The one thing I hate the most about the promotion of the classes offered by the Shivworks guys is that people only post the evos. Some folks see a total of less than a few minutes of final evolution time, and that's optional and set up to what you can do and what you need. No one is better at pairing up the right people to get you the right stimulus to test your ability to perform the techniques taught.

In a 20 hour course (1200 minutes), you're seeing less than one half of a percent of the class in a highlight reel video.

Damn near any of these classes you'd go to now will have seasoned students who can safely challenge you and throttle up or down.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    No one is better at pairing up the right people to get you the right stimulus to test your ability to perform the techniques taught.

In a 20 hour course (1200 minutes), you're seeing less than one half of a percent of the class in a highlight reel video.

Damn near any of these classes you'd go to now will have seasoned students who can safely challenge you and throttle up or down.
    Absolutely. The Shivworks classes are *so* much more than the evo's.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm 52
    But death fears you.

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I went to Shivworks ECQC while recovering from slipped discs in my neck. I sat out about half the evolution, but did the standing start and in the car ones.

I'm no expert, nor even a good amateur, but I was well satisfied I got a lot out of the class even with limitations.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Fitness level needs work, but the biggest limits are the mileage.
    Taz, regarding a fitness level, one has to start somewhere. I began my adult journey about ten or so years ago with "Convict Conditioning" (Paul "Coach" Wade). It's written to appeal to pubescent boys who think super-hero is a job description rather than an expression of character. But it begins each of the recommended six body weight exercises at the therapeutic level and over time, in ten appropriate steps, introduces the exerciser to serious levels of strength.

The ten sections of the pushup chapter, for example, are (01) against the wall pushups, (02) incline (hands on a table top) pushups, (03) kneeling pushups, (04) half pushups, (05) full pushups, (06) close pushups, (07) uneven pushups, (08) 1/2 one-arm pushups, (09) lever pushups, (10) one-arm pushups. T
    he first level of the pushup lessons begins with the exerciser performing 10 against the wall pushups. The highest tier (i.e., the 10th level) involves 100 one-arm pushups (each side). But I suppose it's not really as hard as it might seem because you only have to do one set. <Grin>

The beginning recommended program is pushups / leg raises on Monday, followed by pullups and squats on Friday. You can see that both the exercises and the program start at a modest level. You progress at your own pace.

Time for a Caution: While the first book was splendid, its sequel was valueless. I bought it because I am both foolish and trusting, and was very much disappointed. Only the first book (below) is recommended here.

Link:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Convict-Con...s%2C911&sr=8-2

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Take one of SouthNarc's Shivworks EWO classes.
    Could not not agree more. I finally got to take my first Shivworks EWO class this weekend. I'm 62, and was not the oldest person there. I was probably tied with another fellow in his 60's as having the lowest level of fitness, as he has an active case of asthma. I'm just old, fat and beat up. Plus, I have plenty of orthopedic issues from decades of injuries that did not always receive skillful treatment.

One of the folks in the class turns 74 this year. He participated in every evo, and did very well. He rang my bell in the final evo, and was awesome!

Every single person in the class was supportive and helpful, and was able to dial up and dial down the intensity as needed with each training partner. I could not have found a better group or better mentor to train with. I was plenty tired, believe me! But I left very enthusiastic, and even more committed to training and fitness.

If you have concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly. You can call me and I'll be happy to answer any question you have.

You can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Could not not agree more. I finally got to take my first Shivworks EWO class this weekend. I'm 62, and was not the oldest person there. I was probably tied with another fellow in his 60's as having the lowest level of fitness, as he has an active case of asthma. I'm just old, fat and beat up. Plus, I have plenty of orthopedic issues from decades of injuries that did not always receive skillful treatment.

One of the folks in the class turns 74 this year. He participated in every evo, and did very well. He rang my bell in the final evo, and was awesome!

Every single person in the class was supportive and helpful, and was able to dial up and dial down the intensity as needed with each training partner. I could not have found a better group or better mentor to train with. I was plenty tired, believe me! But I left very enthusiastic, and even more committed to training and fitness.

If you have concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly. You can call me and I'll be happy to answer any question you have.

You can do this.
    Having been following that class through FB, that looked like a really good bunch of folks to train with, and with some great pair-ups. It sounds like you had the best of times, and I'm glad for that!
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List