Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I like 11.5" as they seem to be less finicky than 10.3-10.5"s.

The Colt 11.5" heavy is the KING of short barrels. The only reason I run anything shorter than 14.5" is to keep it handy suppressed.

I've been shooting BCMs for over a decade and their barrels are consistently the worst I've ever seen in accuracy and fouling.

I've been shooting Colts for two decades and their barrels are consistently the best. As are Daniel Defense, Centurion, Noveske, Spikes, Criterion. Although some of those can be gassy.
    I had not heard about BCM inaccuracy issues. I shoot only BCM’s. I also shoot mostly match type settings where I don’t get far out enough to notice and I’m shooting with RDS and Iron Sights. So, I just always thought I didn’t know what I was doing - still may be true...

I’ve found them to be decently accurate - more than me.

Are you shooting their Hammer Forged, ELW, SS, or traditional barrels?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I had not heard about BCM inaccuracy issues. I shoot only BCM’s. I also shoot mostly match type settings where I don’t get far out enough to notice and I’m shooting with RDS and Iron Sights. So, I just always thought I didn’t know what I was doing - still may be true...

I’ve found them to be decently accurate - more than me.

Are you shooting their Hammer Forged, ELW, SS, or traditional barrels?

All of 'em. Since they were marked MOS back on '07 or so.

The stainless ones shoot well. The chrome lined are ho-hum. I honestly think the CHF are the worst.

Site Supporter

The stainless ones shoot well. The chrome lined are ho-hum. I honestly think the CHF are the worst.
    I use the Chrome-lines - I also shoot wolf and other 55 gr 5.56 FMJ’s predominantly.

It grouped well when zeroing 77 gr TMK for me, but anyway.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter

I've noticed this with mine (11.5" BFH bought circa 2011)...out of my personally owned and work issued AR's, it has shown the least accuracy and consistency.

Looks like I'll have a 12.5" build underway soon. Picked up this pistol lower kit from PSA last week and after chasing specials and sales looking to piece together the upper, I just said screw it and hit the easy button by ordering THIS a few minutes ago.

As much as I enjoy the build process my time is becoming more and more limited. I'd have ordered an assembled PSA pistol lower instead of the kit but I've still got a couple of stripped lowers that need something to do.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Just finished putting this together today; 11.5" pistol with Geissele, Surefire, Trijicon, Magpul & SB Tactical. Can't wait to take it out.

So far, 5.56 is dominating the conversation. The OP, @awp_101, mentioned 300 Blackout. Should this be taken that 300 isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be, or that it’s ideal workspace is in barrels shorter than 10.5”? Would anyone here consider a 10.X +” 300 as too long for general purposes and that 5.56 is a better choice? I’ve had limited time shooting a 10”, unsuppressed 5.56 with an A2 hider. The gun ran, but it was, uh.. unpleasant. Never having fired a 300 Blackout, I don’t have a reference point. I think I want an AR pistol, just not certain which way to go. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Anderson lower, SBA3 brace, Adams Arms 11.5” piston upper, with a SIG Romeo5. Other highlights, MOE-K grip, KVP Linear Compensator, MBUS sights (Pro up front for heat with gas block), and a nickel-Boron trigger group. Might swap the trigger for a Fostech Echo II, if all good when it comes back from Fostech (C/S is awesome with them). Only difference from picture is actually have an ambidextrous selector, opposed to one that had stripped threads.

Comes out to just under 26”, which is a nice setup to have just leaving NJ. My new truck gun, so I set it up to be used if there ever was an active shooter or another type of threat when I’m not working. The Echo trigger would be a nice addition... if it functions 100%. SIG red dot is good enough for what I need, with the battery life I’d want in this role. I do have a LaRue mount on order for it, in case I ever had to pull it from the gun. TLR-1 is one of my standard lights, and running Gen 2 PMAGs in it (straight 20 is the one in the gun for profile sake).

I wanted to stick in the over 10” range, mainly for velocity. I run two types of ammo; Hornady Critical Defense (73 grain) and M855. Hornady is in the gun, and have a four magazine pouch holding two Hornady and two M855. Also tossed an extra magazine of each in the center console. My theory... CD does well out of short barrels ballistically. Not too sure on hard barrier penetration, which I am sure on M855. If CD works well through barriers, I’ll dump M855 and go all Hornady... but too early to tell.

I considered a 9mm pistol, and probably will get a CMMG Banshee when we move over to Glocks... but only benefit is magazine compatibility and less noise. Personally, I rather a rifle round over a pistol round... but both likely would work.
    which larue mount for the romeo 5?

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    which larue mount for the romeo 5?
    LT-751...

Pic is a couple years old but it's mostly the same gun these days. DD MK18 (10.3") upper on a VLTOR F/A demo lower with VLTOR A5 recoil system, which I think is a great fit on SBR's.

I shoot everything from 77 OTM to 55gr Wolf. It's been mag dumped F/A, cooled with bottled water, and tossed in a case I don't know how many times. Still shoots about 3MOA using brass case ammo and I can't remember a single stoppage with this gun. I keep thinking it's time to swap the barrel but every time I settle in to recheck the zero it's shooting just fine. I haven't checked the POI shift with the suppressor in a long time, because the suppressor basically lives on this gun, but when I initially set it up it was imperceptible at 100 yards and I think the short/stiff barrel has a lot to do with that.

If I were doing it again today I might look for an 11.5" barrel, but I don't think it matters all that much. I've owned a bunch of different rifles and barrels, and I have never had an issue with a DD barrel and bolt combo. Given the track record, especially with this rifle, I can't see spending money on anything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List