Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    We have them on all our work shortys.
    Thank you, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    What would you guys suggest for flash suppression on a 11.5 upper? I dont have a can and cant see getting one in the near future. I'm leaning twords the warcomp, Would a blow forward comp be a better option?
    Black River Covert Comp was mentioned up thread as well
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have a closed tine Surefire Warcomp on my BCM 11.5 and cant tell the difference between and a flash hider for blast and concussion. It also does a great job at hiding flash.
    I can not say the same for the BCM comp that was on it, that thing was miserable!

Site Supporter
    I've got a 10.5" 5.56 in an LMT MRP CQB (that is quite the pile of acronyms!) upper on an Aero pistol lower.

I already owned the complete LMT upper/lower with a 16" when I lived in CA. When I moved into my first apartment in a free state, I trashed the bullet button for a regular mag release before I even started unpacking boxes. I was knocking together a pistol lower and had a 10.5" barrel on order within a few days.

So, why 10.5"? At the time, LMT wasn't making their proprietary barrels in 11.5" and I didn't want to convert to a piston for their factory 12" barrel or wait months to have someone like Nefarious Arms convert a standard barrel for me. It has an Aimpoint PRO, X300U-B, and a BFG sling for no other reason than I had those parts available. It's fun to shoot, but the concussion is a bit much indoors.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to Form 1 the original lower and buy a 10.5" 300blk barrel. Nearly 4 years later, I still haven't gotten around to it.

Upper #5 on this lower and what I think I'll stick with: 12.5" SOLGW barrel, triarc 11" wedgelok handguard, NX8 in a Geissele 1.93 mount, Geissele SD-C, Streamlight protac 1 on an arisaka inline mount. Easily <1.5MOA for a 10 round group with IMI 77gr shooting prone off the mag, should have enough velocity to upset with that load out to 350-400 yds dpending on the altitude. This will make for a really good do it all setup out here in CO. It is noticeably harsher than the 18" BCM barrel I had on this upper previously, but I also took over 1lb off the front end. I might get an adjustable GB or carrier key, or I might just remember to pull it into my shoulder with more authority.

Great thread. Dumb question, maybe, do you need a different kind of lower to build a pistol than a normal rifle? I didn't think you did, but I've seen a couple references to "pistol lower," and now I'm not sure if the actual lower receiver is different or if those comments are just referring to the buffer tube/stock/brace situation.

I'd also be interested in any thoughts people have on 9mm vs. 5.56 in this size factor. A 9mm gets a lot out of a 7-10" barrel relative to its standard (4"), whereas 5.56 is handicapped in a 10-11" barrel relative to its standard (16-18"). I suspect the answer is still 5.56 being superior, assuming it is able to tumble/fragment, which probably means one is limited to shorter ranges. But I think there may (or may not) be something to say about "supercharged" 9mms?

Sorry if this is hijacking, don't think so though since OP expressed interest in both.
    Join FPC

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    The lower is the exact same. You just have to fill out your 4473 as "handgun" or "other". What you may not do is take a receiver on record as a rifle and build a pistol out of it. So if you bought a rifle at the gun store, you can't sell all the parts except the lower and build a pistol with it. I bet a lot of people don't know that, and I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for doing that...but you're not supposed to.

Edit to add: pretty good and quick info here, without information overload: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...-legal-limits/
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 01-22-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Great thread. Dumb question, maybe, do you need a different kind of lower to build a pistol than a normal rifle? I didn't think you did, but I've seen a couple references to "pistol lower," and now I'm not sure if the actual lower receiver is different or if those comments are just referring to the buffer tube/stock/brace situation...
    Same lower. The only actual difference is stock or no stock. The buffer tube doesn't matter, but some are set up for braces and some are set up for adjustable stocks.

Also, you can have a pistol, change it to a rifle (add stock and longer barrel), and back to a pistol. But you can't have a rifle and change it to a pistol. I build all my ARs as a pistol first and then to a rifle if I want. (A pistol does not need a brace to be a pistol either.)
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

I like 11.5" as they seem to be less finicky than 10.3-10.5"s.

The Colt 11.5" heavy is the KING of short barrels. The only reason I run anything shorter than 14.5" is to keep it handy suppressed.

I've been shooting BCMs for over a decade and their barrels are consistently the worst I've ever seen in accuracy and fouling.

I've been shooting Colts for two decades and their barrels are consistently the best. As are Daniel Defense, Centurion, Noveske, Spikes, Criterion. Although some of those can be gassy.

Great thread. Dumb question, maybe, do you need a different kind of lower to build a pistol than a normal rifle? I didn't think you did, but I've seen a couple references to "pistol lower," and now I'm not sure if the actual lower receiver is different or if those comments are just referring to the buffer tube/stock/brace situation.
    Anytime I've bought a stripped lower it's been listed as "other" on the 4473 so it could be built either way initially but once a rifle, technically always a rifle unless you SBR. My question is unless you took pics, told a bunch of people or only have 1-2 lowers, how will anyone know if you initially built that stripped lower as a rifle or pistol? But that question is outside the scope of this thread.

I'd also be interested in any thoughts people have on 9mm vs. 5.56 in this size factor. A 9mm gets a lot out of a 7-10" barrel relative to its standard (4"), whereas 5.56 is handicapped in a 10-11" barrel relative to its standard (16-18"). I suspect the answer is still 5.56 being superior, assuming it is able to tumble/fragment, which probably means one is limited to shorter ranges. But I think there may (or may not) be something to say about "supercharged" 9mms?
    JMHO, but I don't have any reason (or the experience) to buck the current wisdom. If my plan is for it to be a primary HD piece, I'm OK with a PCC with JHP it likes because it's probably not going to be suppressed. If it's going to be in a "get back home" bag, I'm OK with an 11.5-12.5 rifle caliber which should be OK out to ~300m (I'm a bigger limitation on range than the equipment).
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List