Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

Found how it looked when I first decided to turn it into an ar pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post

Colt 6920 fsb upper cut down to 10.3 by ADCO, raptor LT ch, DD rear sight, streamlight rm-hlx, magpul handguard & light mount, aero precision lower, umbrella Corp lpk w/grip 23, alg qms, law folder, pws ratchet tube & h2, talihook brace, bfg sling, da flash hider and sandman k

Aero precision pistol m4e1 8in 300blk, DD fixed sights, bcm bcg, raptor LT ch, streamlight rm 1, magpul offset light mount, sb brace, reptilia corp cqc grip, MI sling mount, h2, bfg sling, and da flash hider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I've shot this but here's my lego build and parts list from the top of my head. Scope and lower and its parts are for a recce setup. It shoots ~1 MOA or better with match ammo.

Centurion 12.5" w/ chopped FSB
    Centurion CMR 11"
    Bushnell LRHS 3-12x on a NF Unimount 1.375
    Smith Vortex or TBAC 30P-1 w/ thread adapter

LMT lower
    VLTOR A5 tube
    JP SCSS
    B5 Bravo stock
    LaRue MBT-2S (only had one range trip last fall but it's nice)

I found a pic of when I first put together the build from about 9 years ago. The cerakote was supposed to match the MK18 RIS II but I eventually sold it because I chopped down the FSB to go with a longer handguard.

As for the why and thought process, I heeded the advice from Failure2Stop (Jack Leuba) and grinch (Monty LeClair) on M4C concerning the different barrel lengths of ARs in 5.56. It could be outdated but it seems that Centurion still only sells 12.5" and 16" barrels a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop
    Quality 16" middie and 12.5".

A good quality 16" barrel will let you do anything you should be doing with 5.56.

I like 12.5s because they tend to run better, have slightly better terminal performance, and you can use longer handguards, and gaining 2" of handguard makes more difference than losing 2" of barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch
    I chose 16in and 12.5in as I feel these are the best lengths for the cartridge. The 16in for me is the most versatile. Its the minimum legal length with out giving up the ability to change flash hiders and breaks and try new cans ect. I feel that a 16in give me what I need in performance from a 5.56 rifle if I need more that what that offers I'm in an environment that its time to step up to a 7.62. The Recce rifle that later turned into the MK12 program started as a 16in precision rifle and does a great job as a precision weapon in 5.56. If I wanted a carbine as an assaulter or as a general purpose carbine then I'm a fan of the 12.5in barrel its the shortest you can get and still have good terminal performance out of a large variety of ammunition that is on the market. The 12.5 also gives you enough dwell time to be reliable with a wider variety of ammo and in a wider variety of environments it just has a wider operation envelope then the shorter barrels and is a GREAT all around length.
    LMT Defender 2000 Lower
    Magpul MOE Grip
    Noveske QD End Plate
    Vltor A5 RE Kit
    Vltor IMOD Standard

Vltor MUR-1A
    Centurion 12.5" w/ pinned FSB
    Bravo Company BCG
    Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II FSP
    Troy Folding Rear
    Gear Sector QD Sling Mount
    Blue Force Gear VCAS Padded

Total length is just under 30" with the stock in the 2nd position. The IMOD does not collapse all the way with this A5 extension.
    Name:  IMG_1815-1.jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  70.1 KB

I picked up another Law folder from Optics Planet last week and it arrived today. I wanted another one so I could have a dedicated backpack/truck gun and not have to keep swapping uppers and pistol braces. It also gave me an excuse to build another 11.5" upper and use the Geissele OD green MK4 Fed rail that I bought Black Friday 2018.

LMT Defender lower
    Law Tactical gen 3 folder
    Geissele SSA trigger
    VLTOR A5 kit
    OD green SBA3

BCM blemished upper receiver
    BCM 11.5" CHF barrel w/ BCM gas block
    Geissele 10" MK4 Fed rail
    Aimpoint T1 on a Larue LT660
    MBUS PRO back up irons
    Attachment 56832

Zeroed in a new DDM4 V7s 11.5" upper this morning. Definitely a blast cannon with standard M193 + Q Cherry Bomb. I have a Whistle Tip on the way, but won't ever shoot it unsuppressed again if I can help it. Using a standard action spring and H2 buffer, it's way overgassed with the can. I'll probably try one of the BRT EZTune gas tubes when the right one comes back in stock.

The SiCo Omega is just 6.5" long with the Plan B, but every pic I take makes it look huge.

Happy Independence Day PF.

Last edited by StraitR; 07-04-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Finally collected all the parts I needed and got the pistol put together. I'm hoping I can get to the range Friday to function check it. This is first upper I have assembled so I'm a bit apprehensive about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thought I would add this here for those not watching or considering the LAW folder and how it affects rifle/pistol function.

Took my 11.5" out this weekend to shoot/test/verify it with different buffer weights as had been talked about here since I added the LAW folder.

For specs:

11.5" (all)BCM upper
    PSA lower with cmmg lpk
    Larue MBT-2S trigger
    VLTOR/A5 RE with mil rifle spring and SBA3
    H2 and H3 buffers.

It shot pretty much how I expected it to with the H2 considering the barrel length and to check/gauge the reliability of the buffer/Folder combination. I tried the H3 and she shot so smooth I thought I was shooting an airsoft rifle. I also shot his silencerco hybrid 46 suppressor (direct thread), and even with the extra length it still felt very light and maneuverable. Altogether we shot about 300 rounds through it (all 62 grain M855), with no issues. So it looks like continuing the use of an H3 is indeed possible. I plan to do more testing with this combo with a few different ammo types(M193, Mk262, a few other SD loads, etc), and will get back with the data.

Also, now I'm putting together a trust for a suppressor lol.

What discreet backpacks or bags are you guys carrying these in? I need one that's 26" inside the bag

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    What discreet backpacks or bags are you guys carrying these in? I need one that's 26" inside the bag
    Vertx Gamut plus for my 11.5" with Law folder. It's only about 23" inside though. The Commuter Sling XL 2.0 is 27". https://vertx.com/commuter-sling-xl-2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I just ordered the Vertx Gamut Overland Backpack for my Springfield Armory Saint Edge Pistol which is 24 3/4 overall.

The Overland main compartment according to the Vertx website is 26.5 by 16 wide and diagonally is 27.5. I'll let you know how it works and include photos once it arrives.

it's $239 on the Vertx website, but if you use the WARPOET discount code you get 25% off.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List