Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

I have an SR16 and if my Geissele order gets here one of their 11.5's I'm eager to try out. I hate anything less than 11.5 for sure. I'm also eyeballing the Triarc 12.5 very seriously. Which is all ironic because my go to guns are 16" and 14.5". I had zero interest in running anything this short because of my experiences with 10.3 and 10.5. But the 11.5 has been a wholly different and rewarding experience for sure.

Here's baby girl till the Geissele gets here.

Name:  70686903_449124809021231_3370128895775866880_n.jpg
Views: 7281
Size:  40.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have a pair of “big pin” 6933 factory SBRs. They haven’t been shot in a great long while but when they did I never had an issue. One is a dedicated suppressor host, the other is a dedicated ultralight. I think when I got mine you could just about only get them from Clyde Armory, if memory serves? Maybe it was someone else. They specialized in Colt parts when you couldn’t get them anywhere else, and I think the owner taught Armorer courses and was wideLy regarded as the Colt SME?
    That's where mine came from but it's not a big pin. They also had some agency trade in 6933 uppers a couple years back for a song. Unknown round counts, but based on how the internals looked I'd guess it wasn't shot much.

They're all looking great so far!

I like the setups with the sling going around the grip, how is that done? That's what I need to do for storage in the safe.

Other than running a suppressor or a dedicated .22LR, are there any muzzle devices that keep blast and concussion below "Sweet Mother of Pearl, I just had a flash-bang go off next to my head!" levels? I know indoors that's going to be impossible without a can but for range use what's a good choice? How's the VG6 with a CAGE? I've already got the device, just haven't popped for the CAGE yet.

Name:  9mm SBR change my mind.jpg
Views: 3420
Size:  85.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    They're all looking great so far!

I like the setups with the sling going around the grip, how is that done? That's what I need to do for storage in the safe.

Other than running a suppressor or a dedicated .22LR, are there any muzzle devices that keep blast and concussion below "Sweet Mother of Pearl, I just had a flash-bang go off next to my head!" levels? I know indoors that's going to be impossible without a can but for range use what's a good choice? How's the VG6 with a CAGE? I've already got the device, just haven't popped for the CAGE yet.

Name:  9mm SBR change my mind.jpg
Views: 3420
Size:  85.4 KB
    The Black River Tactical Covert Comp is the best blast forward device I've tried and it's basically the same length and weight as an A2 birdcage.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Top is an 11.5" DSG Duty grade upper; bottom is 11.5" Aero upper. Not a ton of rounds through them yet but no issues so far.
    Oh, forgot the "why" part...

I wanted short, maneuverable, general purpose carbines that will eventually be suppressor hosts. Aimpoint PROs + magpul MBUS seemed like the right price/value point for sights that are still duty grade. Have LPVOs on my 16"s. Purchased assembled uppers as I am still new-ish to AR platform; the DSG is a nicer build overall and gets used with brass ammo only. Bottom gets a mix of steel and brass ammo and is mostly a trainer for the above.

I also have a PSA 11.5" upper that I got for cheap on black friday. Joined the extra PSA pistol lower I had kicking around. Holosun optic, FSB and used MBUS rear for sights. Beater for general abuse/loaner use at range.

Very happy with 11.5" barrels (hence why I have 3). Strike the right balance of length, reliability, and muzzle velocity. The 12.5" BCM Kino is tempting though... may snag that upper down the road.

11.5" BA barrel (5.56) on a BCM upper. Runs nice. Next one will be a 12.5" though.

Name:  P1110628.jpg
Views: 4093
Size:  63.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I tried a KWP linear comp on the 10.5", it seemed to reduce concussion a little (I put the birdcage back on to try on my next range trip to compare again). I was using a VG6 Gamma on the 11.5 (brutal) and a VG6 Epsilon on the 14.5 (not quite as brutal) but have gone back to regular 'ole flash hiders as recoil mitigation seemed negligible.

I always liked to save the SBR/braked guns on the range until "that guy" showed up...you know, the one when there's a dozen empty lanes and he comes all the way to the right where you are and takes the bench right next to you, and immediately starts throwing brass on you and your kids while trying to zero his new tacticool AR. I just gave 'em a sly smile and a "Whelp...you asked for it" look while pulling it out of the bag. Usually takes less than 20 rounds to get them to move.
    Last edited by kwb377; 01-12-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Aero M4 marked lower
    Geissele SSA trigger
    Geissele SCH
    Vltor A5 system
    Magpul MS1 sling with QD swivels
    Magpul MBUS Pro
    BCM 11.5" MCMR upper
    Giving the Holosun 503g ACSS reticle a try with the magnifier on a QD mount. So far I dig this setup over a LVPO for my needs.

Attachment 47123

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I also have a PSA 11.5" upper that I got for cheap on black friday. Joined the extra PSA pistol lower I had kicking around. Holosun optic, FSB and used MBUS rear for sights. Beater for general abuse/loaner use at range.
    Here is "el cheapo"

Here is "el cheapo"

"Did we just become best friends?" My surplus 6933 upper on a PSA Stealth lower. The SL handguard works pretty well for a $30 option.
    Attachment 47140

The one on bottom is my wife's. Aero lower and upper receiver with a Spike's CHF barrel made by FN. Brownells Wrenchman free float rail.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 01-12-2020 at 04:16 PM.

User Tag List