Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    A couple of weeks ago the guy at my preferred LGS told me they're running about 155 days right now...
    They're creeping over that.

Going by what i'm seeing in tracking threads, the ATF seems to be approving forms from mid to late February now. That's pushing north of the 200 day wait.

I must have been extremely lucky as I submitted an individual eForm 1 on 7/6/22 and it was approved 8/19/22. I submitted another end of August, who knows when I’ll get that one.

My Form 4 was submitted 7/8, hoping to get back by January.

That said, I’m not sure the approval process is linear despite the specific results reported by individuals or businesses online.

I’m kicking around if an intermediate-9 might be a fun and useful “Ranch Rifle” for here in the swampy or piney south.

My first centerfire rifle was a long-since-stolen 7600 in .35 Whelen, and my most recent is a 16” 9mm AR-RDB. I always wanted, but never tried, loading .357 Magnum bullets into Whelen cases for light loads.

It looks like an upcoming project will be a SBR in x39 boltface AK, and I wonder about 6.5 Grendel necked to 9mm? I’ve got guns I can buy ammo by the case for, this would also be rifle-as-handloading-excuse. Ranges really aren’t that long out here and the toughest critters are the hogs.

I loved the power of the Whelen back in the day, and I’ve come to realize that a part of that was the terminal ballistics of old-school cup-and-core at close range on the higher impact speed of their design parameters. What happens with either the round nose or pointer 180-225grain stuff, out what’ll necessarily be closer to, uhhhh, 30-30/9mm wildcat out of a 13.7-10” barrel? Would it still be nasty out to 100m? Or maybe as far as 250m range? With .357 Magnum bonded pistol bullets, just how hard and fast could they be pushed?

I wouldn’t be unhappy with 30 Gremlin, instead. Light to midweight 30-cal rifle bullets match up weight was pretty close to .357 pistol bullets, and I guess(?) that 300 BLK popularity has given us a deep enough selection of rifle bullets with terminal performed towards lower velocities than -06 or 308. Or maybe jump all the way smallbore to the 6ARC. I don’t want a bunch of rifles, I want just few that I really like. Any way of it, I’ll get my jollies of designing and making ammo for the gun.

Is this .35 Grendel an idea with real terminal ballistics potential, or is this just riggings of heartstrings for 9mm rifles?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Name:  20220925_170851.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  43.8 KB

Most of my 5.56 AR's in the 10.3 to 12.5 inch format... Most are SBR'd, I kept the KAC as a pistol so it could travel a bit easier even though with e file it isn't hard to file the out of state forms....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Most of my 5.56 AR's in the 10.3 to 12.5 inch format... Most are SBR'd, I kept the KAC as a pistol so it could travel a bit easier even though with e file it isn't hard to file the out of state forms....
    Nice looking group of shorty's.

Really like that bottom one - details?

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Nice looking group of shorty's.

Really like that bottom one - details?
    Police trade in factory ban era Colt SBR with an 11.5 barrel. Originally a flattop. Came from Arms Unlimited a few years back for 500 bucks plus the stamp. I swapped out the uppers for a old Colt A1 I had laying around in the parts bins. It spends most of its time hanging out with my other HEAT themed long guns...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Police trade in factory ban era Colt SBR with an 11.5 barrel. Originally a flattop. Came from Arms Unlimited a few years back for 500 bucks plus the stamp. I swapped out the uppers for a old Colt A1 I had laying around in the parts bins. It spends most of its time hanging out with my other HEAT themed long guns...
    Great buy and looks extra cool with the A1 upper.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I’m kicking around if an intermediate-9 might be a fun and useful “Ranch Rifle” for here in the swampy or piney south.

My first centerfire rifle was a long-since-stolen 7600 in .35 Whelen, and my most recent is a 16” 9mm AR-RDB. I always wanted, but never tried, loading .357 Magnum bullets into Whelen cases for light loads.

It looks like an upcoming project will be a SBR in x39 boltface AK, and I wonder about 6.5 Grendel necked to 9mm? I’ve got guns I can buy ammo by the case for, this would also be rifle-as-handloading-excuse. Ranges really aren’t that long out here and the toughest critters are the hogs.

I loved the power of the Whelen back in the day, and I’ve come to realize that a part of that was the terminal ballistics of old-school cup-and-core at close range on the higher impact speed of their design parameters. What happens with either the round nose or pointer 180-225grain stuff, out what’ll necessarily be closer to, uhhhh, 30-30/9mm wildcat out of a 13.7-10” barrel? Would it still be nasty out to 100m? Or maybe as far as 250m range? With .357 Magnum bonded pistol bullets, just how hard and fast could they be pushed?

I wouldn’t be unhappy with 30 Gremlin, instead. Light to midweight 30-cal rifle bullets match up weight was pretty close to .357 pistol bullets, and I guess(?) that 300 BLK popularity has given us a deep enough selection of rifle bullets with terminal performed towards lower velocities than -06 or 308. Or maybe jump all the way smallbore to the 6ARC. I don’t want a bunch of rifles, I want just few that I really like. Any way of it, I’ll get my jollies of designing and making ammo for the gun.

Is this .35 Grendel an idea with real terminal ballistics potential, or is this just riggings of heartstrings for 9mm rifles?
    Though it doesn’t sound exactly like what you’re after, 9x39 might be worth a look. Wolf sells factory subsonic ammo, and I think there are some 140gr class bullets out there for reloaders.

You are absolutely onto something. I was thinking a .358 Grendel (name??) could use .357 Magnum stuff at rifle-low/moderate speeds that would still give high-end subgun level performance, and then also being able shoot the actual rifle-caliber .358 bullets, probably the 180s-225s, including the roundnoses. There's just not going to be a ton of velocity with about 38 grs. H2O case capacity and 10.5-12.5 barrel length.

If the bullets will still provide quality terminal plus some-minimal exterior ballistic performance to 100m, or maybe even as far as 250m, if it could clearly be a world of ballistics far beyond 9x19mm PCC, then... hey!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Most are SBR'd, I kept the KAC as a pistol so it could travel a bit easier even though with e file it isn't hard to file the out of state forms....
    I don't believe you've ever been able to e-file Form 20s. As of posting, you certainly can't. You can email a filled out Form 20, but it's not really the same.

ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6A, 9, 10 and 5300.11 are available for eForms submission.

Source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/applications-eforms

User Tag List