Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bergara BMR bolt action rimfire rifles... Anyone have one?

Bergara BMR bolt action rimfire rifles... Anyone have one?

A search here only brought up one short previous thread on the subject.

I've been on the prowl for a new .22 rimfire rifle for a while now, to end up as a host for a YHM Phantom rimfire can that should be approved any time now (89 days today, e-file Form 4 on a trust... fingers crossed). Originally, I was looking at Rugers American line (I have a bunch of 10/22 mags), but availability is spotty, and I've read a lot of mixed reviews. CZ is also on the short list, but most of their rifles don't "speak" to me... the precision trainers are interesting, but a bit heavy if I decided to hike around with it. A switch barrel .22/.22 Mag/.17 HMR is interesting though.

This brings me to last weekend. I was out of town, and poking around a new shop I hadn't ever been in before, and they had both the Bergara BXR 10/22 clones, and also the BMR bolt action in standard steel barreled models, alongside the carbon fiber barrel model. Picking them up and futzing with them a bit, I started really liking the standard steel BMR. Cleanly threaded muzzle on on a not too heavy taper barrel. It was light, and felt well balanced (bare, no scope) while also feeling a bit more like a "real" rifle than some other bolt action .22's I've put hands on. The stock seemed quite solid, despite its very light weight. Light weight is a good thing, if I ever want to get the kids shooting this gun. I'm not a big fan of the idea of a plastic magazine, but it comes with 5rd and 10rd mags (the CZ's seem to only come with one). Downsides: no irons, and no provisions for irons that I am aware of, so I'd have to buy a scope for it. No irons isn't a deal breaker, but having the option is nice. I'd also have to buy another magazine or two to have on hand, but they are apparently somewhat hard to find and expensive.

I held off on buying one on the spot, despite my wife's encouragement to "just buy it!"... but I'm still looking at them online. Does anyone have one of these? How has it been? What about the .22 Mag and .17 HMR models?

Related question: Does the BXR semi-auto 10/22 clone have a cleaning port drilled on the back of the receiver, to allow cleaning from the breech end? I may end up with one of these down the road as well.

I have not handled a BMR but I have a B14R. I would think that the quality would be pretty similar

It was purchased at a reduced price due to it being a barreled action that a guy won at a shooting event. I put it in a Boyd's At One stock so it had adjustability for me and my wife to shoot it. The nice part about the B14R is that they are based on a Remington 700/40X pattern so the same triggers and stocks will fit.

Most of the time I just plink with it using Automatch or CCI Standard Velocity.

Rifle
    Name:  20210409_121509_resize_96.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  99.1 KB

Playing around in the backyard at 50 yards
    Name:  20210424_202342.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  28.3 KBName:  target_image (2).jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  63.0 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I believe the BMR also uses a Remington 700 style trigger like the B14R... but I think the factory one is adjustable, and pretty good. That's some pretty good accuracy, for just playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I believe the BMR also uses a Remington 700 style trigger like the B14R... but I think the factory one is adjustable, and pretty good. That's some pretty good accuracy, for just playing around.
    I have left the factory trigger as it arrived. It is a good trigger but I shoot a 7.5 lb LEM in my pistol so the Bergara pales in comparison

The accuracy iss pretty satisfying for 5cpr ammo. SK Standard is nearing 15cpr, and other 22LR match ammo is even more, which makes shooting a 22LR less appealing.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I bought a carbon-barreled BMR a few months ago, rationalizing it was to be my grandson's trainer (he's, um, three). I intended it to be a trainer for my centerfire bolt guns. Put a largish 6-24X Athlon scope on it; otherwise it's stock.

I'm enjoying it, as part of the larger process of getting back into rifle shooting, something I've not done much of since I was a kid shooting squirrels. The BMR is cheap to shoot, relatively, and its light weight really accentuates any errors on my part, thus it is a bit unforgiving of any slacking of technique on my part. That said, it is a pretty accurate little gun. It'll punch tight holes at 50 yards, and I have (once) shot a sub-half-inch 5-shot group at 100 yards with it (I did use some SK match ammo). It'll usually shoot one-inch groups, assuming I can hold still.

I've had no issues with it, other than accuracy was degrading once, which I tracked down to the factory-installed scope base having worked loose (you'd think I'd have learned to "never assume" by now). Removed, cleaned, Loctite applied, and back to shooting well.

I'm well satisfied, and might even let my grandson shoot it . . . in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I bought a carbon-barreled BMR a few months ago, rationalizing it was to be my grandson's trainer (he's, um, three).
    I buy guns for my grandkids, too.

They're not even born yet.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I bought a carbon-barreled BMR a few months ago, rationalizing it was to be my grandson's trainer (he's, um, three).
    Totally legit reason. My Grandfather bought me a Winchester 94 .30-30 at the same age.😁
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'm well satisfied, and might even let my grandson shoot it . . . in a few years.
    That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply. I have used my kids as excuses for a few guns or accessory purchases over the years. The light weight of the gun is one of my current ones.

Any issues with the magazines? I saw someone complaining their ten round mag didn't work as well as the 5 round one.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Any issues with the magazines? I saw someone complaining their ten round mag didn't work as well as the 5 round one.
    I haven't noticed any issues at all re: the 10-rd magazine. Loading that 10th round in the mag is a little tough, but feeding is no problem. Well, if you work the bolt too slowly and lightly, a round will occasionally FTF, but that happens on the 5-rd as well as the 10-rd. A "normal" smooth cycling of the bolt results in good feeding. I'd note that I ordered a couple of extra 10-rd and one 5-rd mag (vaguely recall I ordered them from EuroOptic), and there is no difference in feeding; they're all consistent.

Whatever slimy lube SK puts on their match ammo does make feeding smoother yet. And it's certainly more accurate than bulk pack ammo.

I bought a bunch of guns for my kids, but they don't seem to care about them, so now I am stuck.

I have a B14r that shoots really well. If the Begara makes the BMR as nice as the B14r, than I think you will be very happy with buying one.

@WDR Did you think the BXR was nicer than a standard 10/22?

User Tag List