Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @RancidSumo

What is so heavy about your 11.5"? I'm not seeing anything about that gun from the pictures that would make it particularly heavy, unless you're running an SBR'd HBAR......
    Its not like its too heavy to carry around or anything like that, just heavy enough to notice/definitely heavier than my 16" iron sight gun. I think as pictured its 9.x lbs. Barrel is a medium contour stainless Noveske.

I have to imagine the can is a lot of that weight. Work rifle is a Colt Commando lower with BCM 11.5” standard profile barrel and 10” MCMR. Name:  1B9A9CB5-A8D0-41DF-8074-5E314C2456DE.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  71.5 KB
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I have to imagine the can is a lot of that weight. Work rifle is a Colt Commando lower with BCM 11.5” standard profile barrel and 10” MCMR.
    I can't find my scale to confirm and I can't remember if I weighed it with or without the can. Can is under 1lb - something like 14oz I think. I think its the LAW that makes such a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    it is a heavy MF. I'd like to cut some weight, but not sure where/how.
    Name:  LifeHackz.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  26.9 KB

Barrel is a medium contour stainless Noveske.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Name:  LifeHackz.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  26.9 KB
    Well I'm not pulling the barrel so instead I'll just continue to complain (though I admit I didn't actually know that barrel was particularly heavy).

Edit: Ok - damn. Looked it up and the weight difference to a BCM ELW is something like 10 ounces. Mystery solved.
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 06-15-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Well I'm not pulling the barrel so instead I'll just continue to complain (though I admit I didn't actually know that barrel was particularly heavy).

Edit: Ok - damn. Looked it up and the weight difference to a BCM ELW is something like 10 ounces. Mystery solved.
    I'm getting old and I don't recognize that can. What is it?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I'm getting old and I don't recognize that can. What is it?
    EA Vox S with a Q Plan B mount.

EA Vox S with a Q Plan B mount.
    kids these years

Overall weightwise, I agree the LAW and barrel are probably what's killing you. Sometimes balance can throw a thing off too. This is a 10.3 Colt barrel (gov/MK18 profile) with AAC M42k (17 oz vs your Vox's 12), G MK4 rail (not sure what that Triarc(?) you have weighs (ETA: just looked it up; if Triarc, then 9oz same as G rail), STD RE, H2 in the butt, pretty basic. It balances pretty much right at the magwell and feels great to handle.

Another thought based on the optic you have on that gun: getting short SS barrels hot with rapid fire + suppressor is a good way to make them into smooth bores. Not sure what you do with that gun, but you may do better to either put more glass on it and relegate it to a more precision-ish role with a lower ROF or pull the barrel, and replace with CMV.
    Food Court Apprentice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    kids these years

Overall weightwise, I agree the LAW and barrel are probably what's killing you. Sometimes balance can throw a thing off too. This is a 10.3 Colt barrel (gov/MK18 profile) with AAC M42k (17 oz vs your Vox's 12), G MK4 rail (not sure what that Triarc(?) you have weighs (ETA: just looked it up; if Triarc, then 9oz same as G rail), STD RE, H2 in the butt, pretty basic. It balances pretty much right at the magwell and feels great to handle.

Another thought based on the optic you have on that gun: getting short SS barrels hot with rapid fire + suppressor is a good way to make them into smooth bores. Not sure what you do with that gun, but you may do better to either put more glass on it and relegate it to a more precision-ish role with a lower ROF or pull the barrel, and replace with CMV.
    Yeah, its probably not ideal but I doubt I'll be shooting it out anytime soon with the relatively low amount of shooting I do with a rifle these days. If barrels are ever in stock again, I'll give it some more serious thought. Or I'll scrap the 12.5 LPVO idea, put an LPVO on this upper, and get a different 11.5 upper for the dot.

Or I'll scrap the 12.5 LPVO idea, put an LPVO on this upper, and get a different 11.5 upper for the dot.
    I think that'd really be your winner.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List