Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The big 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Negative, but I have a local shop with a good reputation that I wouldn’t mind giving some business too for assembly.
    If you can assemble, pick your barrel: colt, DD, FN. Check Arms Unlimited, Shark Arms, and Thoroughbred Armament regularly. $260-$300

BCM blem upper for $59. These are great and have a much tighter barrel fit.
    Centurion BCG @ $125
    Pick your rail and charging handle and you’re still well under a grand. Gas block is something to pay attention to. I like barrels with FSB’s so I can chop them and have a secure gas block. Something low pro set screwed and pinned isn’t bad either.

I’ve also used ADCO to cut to 10.3 and port at .070 when I wanted a SOCOM profile. That’s about $100 all in with shipping, but if you have or can find a Colt takeoff barrel for around $200 it’s about the same thing.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment. I've never really dove into tapered bores beyond HK and am mostly unlearned on the current options.
    Word, honestly tapered bore isn’t that important, I’d just like a 10.3 in the Colt/DD/LMT/BCM quality range with chrome lining, proper spec gas port, and probably a pinned FSB that I can keep or grind depending on the handguard I decide to go with.

ETA: you were posting while I was @ASH556 thanks for the info.

I may have posted this before in another thread, but this one fits nicely into the central topic of this thread. After a lot of deliberation over putting together a suppressed 11.5" gun and listening to numerous podcasts, I came to the decision that a 12.5 was a better choice for me. I don't remember all the details, but I believe it was one of Chuck Pressburg's videos during which he discussed the 12.5 being the shortest one can go and still use an SF Mini somewhat effectively—with 11.5 and shorter, the optimal can would be the full-size RC2, but you end up with a similar overall length to the 12.5 while losing an inch of barrel (and an inch of handguard, meaning you're more cramped on the gun). There was probably some benefit with muzzle velocity, too. Still breaking this in, with just under a thousand rounds fired at this point. She feels fairly heavy, especially compared to my 14.5" BCMs with ELW-F barrels and the now-unobtainable magnesium-aluminum handguards. Throw an LPVO on this gun it would really be a great jack of all trades, but as this is a primary home defense gun, I'm happy with the T-2.

Overall length is about the same as my 9" .300 SBR with SOCOM762-RC2 attached, interestingly. Although that gun fits in a backpack with the stock folded and can removed...

BCM upper (assembled by Dave Laubert)
    BCM lower (registered SBR)
    BCM 12.5 standard carbine barrel
    Hodge Wedge Lock 11.5" handguard
    SLR Rifleworks Micro Gas Block
    SureFire WARCOMP-556
    SureFire SOCOM556-MINI2
    Modlite PLH-v2 18650 w/SF DS00 tailcap on Arisaka M-LOK Offset Scout Mount
    SureFire SR07 modded to fit Cloud Defensive LCS Mk2
    BCM MCMR QD Sling Mount
    Magpul M-LOK Rail Covers, Type 2
    Condition Gray Sling Retainer Catch Gen2
    Magpul Pro Offset BUIS
    Aimpoint Micro H2 on Geissele 1.93" mount
    Geissele Super Charging Handle
    Geissele SSA trigger
    Forward Controls Design EMR-H
    Forward Controls Design ABC/R-F
    BCM Mod2 pistol grip and Mod3 vertical grip
    AR Gas Vent
    BCM Ion Bond BCG
    Geissele Super 42 spring and buffer (configured as H2)
    Law Tactical Gen3-M folding stock adapter
    Magpul SL stock w/enhanced buttpad

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    @ASH556 @karmapolice

How is the SF mini on the 11.5? I'm thinking it's not as effective as the full size, but is the performance decrease small enough to make it a viable option?
    The mini is rated for anything > 10” in terms of durability. It’s not going to be hearing safe on an 11.5” but it’s still better than an unsuppressed SBR. If you normally run active hearing protection like @Karmapolive that plus a mini is GTG.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The mini is rated for anything > 10” in terms of durability. It’s not going to be hearing safe on an 11.5” but it’s still better than an unsuppressed SBR. If you normally run active hearing protection like @Karmapolive that plus a mini is GTG.
    Yep, a lot of teams,units, groups, agencies whatever already do it on 10.3" and 11.5" like I do. Cuts the blast, reduces noises, hides flash etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

I may have posted this before in another thread, but this one fits nicely into the central topic of this thread. After a lot of deliberation over putting together a suppressed 11.5" gun and listening to numerous podcasts, I came to the decision that a 12.5 was a better choice for me. I don't remember all the details, but I believe it was one of Chuck Pressburg's videos during which he discussed the 12.5 being the shortest one can go and still use an SF Mini somewhat effectively—with 11.5 and shorter, the optimal can would be the full-size RC2, but you end up with a similar overall length to the 12.5 while losing an inch of barrel (and an inch of handguard, meaning you're more cramped on the gun). There was probably some benefit with muzzle velocity, too. Still breaking this in, with just under a thousand rounds fired at this point. She feels fairly heavy, especially compared to my 14.5" BCMs with ELW-F barrels and the now-unobtainable magnesium-aluminum handguards. Throw an LPVO on this gun it would really be a great jack of all trades, but as this is a primary home defense gun, I'm happy with the T-2.

Overall length is about the same as my 9" .300 SBR with SOCOM762-RC2 attached, interestingly. Although that gun fits in a backpack with the stock folded and can removed...

BCM upper (assembled by Dave Laubert)
    BCM lower (registered SBR)
    BCM 12.5 standard carbine barrel
    Hodge Wedge Lock 11.5" handguard
    SLR Rifleworks Micro Gas Block
    SureFire WARCOMP-556
    SureFire SOCOM556-MINI2
    Modlite PLH-v2 18650 w/SF DS00 tailcap on Arisaka M-LOK Offset Scout Mount
    SureFire SR07 modded to fit Cloud Defensive LCS Mk2
    BCM MCMR QD Sling Mount
    Magpul M-LOK Rail Covers, Type 2
    Condition Gray Sling Retainer Catch Gen2
    Magpul Pro Offset BUIS
    Aimpoint Micro H2 on Geissele 1.93" mount
    Geissele Super Charging Handle
    Geissele SSA trigger
    Forward Controls Design EMR-H
    Forward Controls Design ABC/R-F
    BCM Mod2 pistol grip and Mod3 vertical grip
    AR Gas Vent
    BCM Ion Bond BCG
    Geissele Super 42 spring and buffer (configured as H2)
    Law Tactical Gen3-M folding stock adapter
    Magpul SL stock w/enhanced buttpad
    That's a slick setup man. I'm looking at a Triarc 12.5 for that reason. Not sure if I'm going to run an RC2 on it or get a MINI. All my dedicated suppressed guns are going to run the RC2/KAC QDC. But I might squeeze 1 Mini in there for this reason. I like how short/effective it is. You also pick a lot of the same parts I do when doing a build so I'll be interested to see your continued feedback on this setup. Very well put together.

Not a bad paint job either.

Scratch this, found my answer in a later post down the page.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Scratch this, found my answer in a later post down the page.
    Glad we could help!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I resolved my quandary of 10.3” vs 11.5” and ordered a Geissele Super Duty pistol with an 11.5” barrel.
    I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Colt 6920 fsb upper cut down to 10.3 by ADCO, raptor LT ch, DD rear sight, streamlight rm-hlx, magpul handguard & light mount, aero precision lower, umbrella Corp lpk w/grip 23, alg qms, law folder, pws ratchet tube & h2, talihook brace, bfg sling, da flash hider and sandman k

Aero precision pistol m4e1 8in 300blk, DD fixed sights, bcm bcg, raptor LT ch, streamlight rm 1, magpul offset light mount, sb brace, reptilia corp cqc grip, MI sling mount, h2, bfg sling, and da flash hider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List