Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Holster Recommendation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    It's true, they have closed up. Not a great loss as far as leather is concerned, since they never really put out a decent product after Lou passed.

There are several makers who make an Alessi style ankle rig - Prince, 5 Shot Leather (me) and a few others.

I got two from John and they are great (26 and 42). I found two weeks of wear and getting something on the other ankle made the weird feeling go away. Also seeing Heidi Smith with Glock 19's on one ankle and a revolver on the other made me de-pussify and get over it.

I do want to eventually have some ankle rigs made up with thumb breaks because I am a paranoid mofo and my experience with raising my boys has put me in positions and circumstances (upside down on playgrounds, rocketing down five story slides, and four to five toddlers climbing all over me) that make me think it is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    ...Only downside I know of is it requires you to thread your belt through it; no clipping to gym shorts for a trip to the mailbox if that is important to you...
    Wake up, put gun on; at bedtime, remove.

/solved

Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    When Lou died, one of his partners took over; that gentleman died not long back and his daughter and her husband, if I recall, took over. Over the last several years online complaints about excessively long waits and poor communication piled up. A while back, website down and crickets.

If you can find any indication they're still in business, I'd like to know; their Deep Cover is the best J snubby IWB ever.
    Tom never worked with or for Lou. He made a lot of claims that were totally false. Lou's partnet was Skip Ritchie, but Lou bought him out of the business like 30 years ago.

Do you carry something on the opposite leg to offset the weight? I'm considering trying an ankle holster. I will be carrying a 26 or a j frame. I didn't know if I would need something on the other ankle to correct balance

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Do you carry something on the opposite leg to offset the weight? I'm considering trying an ankle holster. I will be carrying a 26 or a j frame. I didn't know if I would need something on the other ankle to correct balance
    I never felt the need. For 20 years I pretty much either had a Model 36 or a Glock 26 on my left ankle.

There were a few rare times I carried a spare mag on the opposite ankle for my primary gun.
    Last edited by blues; 01-14-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Of those two guns, I strongly encourage a lightweight J-frame. I have occasionally carried a Glock 26 on my ankle, and it is NOT something I want to do frequently or regularly. I have also heard second hand accounts of runners who developed limps after wearing ankle holsters carrying guns like a Ruger SP101 (not while running).

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I never felt the need. For 20 years I pretty much either had a Model 36 or a Glock 26 on my left ankle.

There were a few rare times I carried a spare mag on the opposite ankle for my primary gun.
    I don't carry anything to balance on my hip. I don't know why ankle should be different but always figured it would adjust my stride.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Of those two guns, I strongly encourage a lightweight J-frame. I have occasionally carried a Glock 26 on my ankle, and it is NOT something I want to do frequently or regularly. I have also heard second hand accounts of runners who developed limps after wearing ankle holsters carrying guns like a Ruger SP101 (not while running).
    This would be 5 days a week so may try 60 or my 642.

I don't carry anything to balance on my hip. I don't know why ankle should be different but always figured it would adjust my stride.

This would be 5 days a week so may try 60 or my 642.

Everyone may be different. During those years I always worked out, (as I still do), and used to run, (which I no longer do), but I never had any ill effects from carrying daily on the ankle for 20+ years. (And I have scoliosis, though pretty much asymptomatic.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Ankle Holster Recommendation

I would strongly encourage the 642 as opposed to the 60.

Edited after quoting the wrong post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-14-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I know a good number of dudes do it but a 26 is a brick, a 42 is less brick like. I would like to try a 43.

I put other stuff on the other leg as an balance of the mind thing, having each leg different just f’d with me for some reason and I felt bad ass carrying and double reload on the other leg. It felt good carrying around almost 4 boxes of carry ammo (20 round boxes).

I am far from expert as much work has me wearing muck boots most of the time. Ankle carry is just not that concealed with pants tucked into boots.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 01-15-2020 at 12:28 AM.

User Tag List