Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Flashlight Tech

Old Flashlight Tech

I thought some folks might find this interesting/amusing.

these are, as I recall, the original 3 models of Surefire handheld lights. The 6P came first, but I can't recall if the 6Z or the 3P came after that, but according to the link the 6Z came out in 1997 so that was probably first. I don't think I ever bought a 9P, but if I did I don't still have it. Looks like the 3P did a whopping 15 lumens, and at the time everyone thought that was like holding the sun in your hand. the link above says that the 6P did 65 lumens, but I'm not sure that's accurate given the 15 of the 3P.

Name:  IMG_1575.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1576.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  35.4 KB

Later on, 2001 according to the link, came the 6P Polymer lights, called "Nitrolon". Lots of folks modded them like you see in in the pics to put different heads and tails on them ("clicky" caps) as well as things like the flipup red filter you see. There were replacement/upgrade lamp assemblies for all of these that came in the little plastic tube like you see in the pic.

Name:  IMG_1580.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  72.2 KB

I also stumbled on a bunch of mounts in the same box. I don't think any of these are near as old as the 6P, 6Z, and 3P.

Name:  IMG_1581.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  58.2 KB

I literally went through my box O stuff last night. Mine is almost identical. I even have all but one of the light mounts that you do..

I blame the 6P thread

Super cool lights. I have the same 6P. There was one light before the 6P... maybe the 6D? At any rate, the "P" stood for pushbutton (on the tailcap) which was pretty rad at the time. 65 lumens was indeed the rating.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    At any rate, the "P" stood for pushbutton (on the tailcap) which was pretty rad at the time.
    oh yeah, I forgot about that. Everyone up to that point was still using various maglights so the tailcap switch was revolutionary.

Cool stuff. Modern LED drop-ins and 16650 rechargeable cells breath lots of life back into these old work horses.

Site Supporter
    I have that same 6P with the "Laser Products" branding. I bought it in 91 or 92 IIRC right after I bought an Earnie Hill Leather Belt and a Blackhawk (USA made) nylon belt.
    It sat in my drawer at work until last month when the legos thread inspired me to drop in a Malkoff M61. I have been carrying it nearly every day since.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Cool stuff. Modern LED drop-ins and 16650 rechargeable cells breath lots of life back into these old work horses.
    you have any specific links? googling anything related to "tactical lights" virtually impossible these days.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have that same 6P with the "Laser Products" branding. I bought it in 91 or 92 IIRC right after I bought an Earnie Hill Leather Belt and a Blackhawk (USA made) nylon belt.
    It sat in my drawer at work until last month when the legos thread inspired me to drop in a Malkoff M61. I have been carrying it nearly every day since.
    I totally missed that on the tailcap on my own lights. Makes me think I must have bought the "Z" much later.

ETA:
    is this really the price of an M61?
    https://www.amazon.com/Malkoff-M61-L.../dp/B01CPRVYCI
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-11-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    I paid about 45.00 shipped. I ordered direct from Malkoff. They had a sale for "new" customers read new email associated with the order and I may have found another coupon out there.

The drop in screams quality given its fit, finish and weight. I have no doubt that it is the 400+ lumens as advertised based on comparisons to a 200 Lumen G2s, 250 Lumen 4 Sevens and a 600 Lumen Streamlight.

If you can source a 6 series light for free to 35.00, and add the drop in, you have a 400 Lumen light that will last forever, made in the USA and has more "soul" than a 600 Lumen G2 for similar money or a bit more.

FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I paid about 45.00 shipped. I ordered direct from Malkoff. They had a sale for "new" customers read new email associated with the order and I may have found another coupon out there.

The drop in screams quality given its fit, finish and weight. I have no doubt that it is the 400+ lumens as advertised based on comparisons to a 200 Lumen G2s, 250 Lumen 4 Sevens and a 600 Lumen Streamlight.

If you can source a 6 series light for free to 35.00, and add the drop in, you have a 400 Lumen light that will last forever, made in the USA and has more "soul" than a 600 Lumen G2 for similar money or a bit more.

FWIW.
    well, i obviously already have the bodies, so I suppose it's a $50 400 lumen light.

I've spent more on stupider shit, so I suppose it's worth grabbing one.

while I'm on the "spend stupid money for no real reason" kick I think I'm going to start with the one for the 3P.
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/m31-to-fit-vme-head

the idea of 350 lumens from that little thing does make me giggle (although if you'd asked me back int he '90s how bright the stock light was I'd have told you "one million lumens!" )

User Tag List