Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Flashlight Tech

Site Supporter
    I still have my circa 1994 Streamlight Scorpion on my dresser. Still has batteries in it.

I never did find upgrades for it, so it just sits there.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    you have any specific links? googling anything related to "tactical lights" virtually impossible these days.
    Nice collection, Rob. I'm especially envious of the 3P!

Take a look in the 6P Lego thread, but here are the pertinent links;

EDC+ Plus X60LT P60 - 560 lumens, an estimated 18,000 candela. I believe this module is made by Lumens Factory (I might be wrong), decent quality and an excellent beam for self-defense use. I put one in my SF Z2 Combat Light and thinks it's perfect for the application.

Malkoff M61 - 450 lumens, an estimated 9,000 candela. Superb quality with a smooth, general use beam.

Both of the above modules can run on a pair of CR123A batteries or a single Li-ion cell (16650 in the 6P or a 16340 in the 3P).

Things changed so fast back then I don't remember what they were anymore. I had a big rechargeable Streamlight that would last a few minutes, big and little MagLites, and then a Surefire with CR123s incandescent bulbs that didn't last long and wouldn't survive a drop.

I had a Surefire that was about 8" long with a tape switch on the broomstick VFG and a molle pouch with a dozen batteries and a couple spare bulbs. That would generally last for a whole night of training.

I didn't have a pistol light until the X200.

I may be stuck in my ways on some things, but I don't mess with old lights. Surefire adds a lumen, I pull out the card!

Sunday night, for a class, I drug out my original 6P. Recently I put the original tail cap and lanyard ring on it and chucked the Cree LED bulb for an original incandescent one. This has the original smooth, short button. Kind of cool to see how far we've come - especially since these were the other lights I was using.

And, I've got a box of old SF parts, bulbs, etc.

(not sure why the image won't insert???)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 01-15-2020 at 12:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I paid about 45.00 shipped. I ordered direct from Malkoff. They had a sale for "new" customers read new email associated with the order and I may have found another coupon out there.

The drop in screams quality given its fit, finish and weight. I have no doubt that it is the 400+ lumens as advertised based on comparisons to a 200 Lumen G2s, 250 Lumen 4 Sevens and a 600 Lumen Streamlight.

If you can source a 6 series light for free to 35.00, and add the drop in, you have a 400 Lumen light that will last forever, made in the USA and has more "soul" than a 600 Lumen G2 for similar money or a bit more.

FWIW.
    I have two of these old Surefires. I think I will resurrect them. I carried one through thick and thin for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Sunday night, for a class, I drug out my original 6P. Recently I put the original tail cap and lanyard ring on it and chucked the Cree LED bulb for an original incandescent one. This has the original smooth, short button. Kind of cool to see how far we've come - especially since these were the other lights I was using.
    That Laser products tailcap is very cool!

How do you like the Modlite? Is it the PLH or OKW version?

Site Supporter
    This thread just reminds me how crap Surefire's handheld lights are now. No modularity, no repairability, ugly, weird shapes that don't lend themselves well to weapons mounting...

Site Supporter
    RAM

That might be a bit harsh. The Single output G2 at 200 or 320 or 600 Lumens mounts easily with a Viking Tactics mount for the causal "carbiner" I had no durability issues in either an EAG 3 day class or a 20 Hr. Carbine Adoption/Transition Course with my local PD.

While there was a time when SF CS seemed to have challenges, I would offer the following from a post I made recently on another forum:

"Sample of one. I emailed Surefire on 11/14/19 re a Circa 2009 G2 tailcap that had stopped working well and whose rubber had split etc.

I got an auto response for a bit more info on the same day. On 11/19/19, I got an email from a real person who said they were mailing out a new tailcap.

I received said tailcap by 11/21/19. In short, my case was resolved to my satisfaction with 7 days.

Perhaps SF has rounded the corner re its CS."

FWIW

David Barnes

vcdgrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    RAM

That might be a bit harsh. The Single output G2 at 200 or 320 or 600 Lumens mounts easily with a Viking Tactics mount for the causal "carbiner" I had no durability issues in either an EAG 3 day class or a 20 Hr. Carbine Adoption/Transition Course with my local PD.

While there was a time when SF CS seemed to have challenges, I would offer the following from a post I made recently on another forum:

"Sample of one. I emailed Surefire on 11/14/19 re a Circa 2009 G2 tailcap that had stopped working well and whose rubber had split etc.

I got an auto response for a bit more info on the same day. On 11/19/19, I got an email from a real person who said they were mailing out a new tailcap.

I received said tailcap by 11/21/19. In short, my case was resolved to my satisfaction with 7 days.

Perhaps SF has rounded the corner re its CS."

FWIW

David Barnes

vcdgrips.com
    Yeah a G2 or 6P has been my go to light solution on a carbine for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That Laser products tail-cap is very cool!

How do you like the Modlite? Is it the PLH or OKW version?
    Yes, yes it is. That was sort of why I restored it;
    Have the OKW. Tremendous throw. Take the cost out of it & I'm really happy with the light. At some point, I'd like to work with a PLH head and see the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    This thread just reminds me how crap Surefire's handheld lights are now. No modularity, no repairability, ugly, weird shapes that don't lend themselves well to weapons mounting...
    I'll disagree. After turning in my work shotgun, I drug out my old 870 with an SF 618 forearm (embedded tape switch on the right, rocker switch on the left). My older (early, mid-00s) SF weapon lights would hang up and drag on the ring around the mag tube. Just to see, I took a P2X Fury, removed the tail-cap, and screwed it into the 618. Viola! Prett damn bright light set-up on my 870.
    The only odd shaped light of theirs I have is that Stiletto.

User Tag List