Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomer Support Thread

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm only 45, but I've blown out two retinas (we saved one), wear bifocals, have a 35db deficit in my left ear, and my PT guy says he's surprised I'm still walking and functional. I'm self-identifying as a Boomer. I'm not cool enough to be the parent of a Boomer
    You sound more like a Ka-Boomer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm only 45, but I've blown out two retinas ...
    Does your ophthalmologist let you shoot? I've always wondered about what they will and won't allow with retina and macula conditions. When I had a C-spine fusion I wasn't allowed to shoot for a year. Rumor has it I did anyway. A little.

Quote Originally Posted by delphidoc View Post
    Does your ophthalmologist let you shoot? I've always wondered about what they will and won't allow with retina and macula conditions. When I had a C-spine fusion I wasn't allowed to shoot for a year. Rumor has it I did anyway. A little.
    When I was 8 and was heading into surgery to repair my left retina, my dad asks the surgeon (a Texan), if I can still shoot. The doc said it would depend on what I intended to shoot. My grandfather had just given me his 300 Weatherby Magnum, and the doc gave an emphatic "HELL, NO". Even though the surgery was a success, I retained very little vision, and I've shot whatever I've wanted since. I did shoot that weatherby later that year. My dad says I cried.

After this last surgery on my right eye, I've limited myself to handguns and 5.56 AR's. I have no restrictions imposed by the doc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Anybody still have records or 8 tracks?
    A bunch of classical LPs from the '70s and '80s during my years in music school. Still play them occasionally as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Can't forget about the everpresent haze of cigarette smoke in most locations.
    Especially our house. Dad was a two plus pack a day smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I've been known to take cell phone pictures - with flash - of menus in dimly lit restaurants, much to the embarassment of companions. But I can then zoom in on the picture to read the damn thing...
    Where do you attach the flash bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Where do you attach the flash bulb?
    I believe like so:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MFNSZ2...ogi&th=1&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Lead and asbestos. Breakfast of Champions.
    I used to be on the lighting crew in junior high (high school as well). The insulation was disintegrating all around the lights in the top of the auditorium. Big pliles everywhere.

EPA came and ripped out all that asbestos a few years later in hazmat suits.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Especially in winter.

My dad would yell out the window to tell me to turn it a little more to the left or right on the roof of our apartment building. Or knock the snow off.

My late father-in-law wouldn't let anyone else in the family adjust his TV or the antenna on the roof. I seemed to be the only one that could tune to the Italian language stations on the UHF band.

Old TV's were like old cars. There was room to work inside the cabinet and parts you could replace.
    I remember those things at electronic shops where you could test tubes for your TV.

Name:  430017-f9487afd-retro_1950s_utestm_drugstore_tube_tester.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  70.1 KB
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List