Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomer Support Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'd love to have one of those. It'd be an awesome road trip car, far better than my '16 Ford Focus. Then again, the Focus gets 38 mpg on a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    When I was in operations and working with network devices around the world, I was able to remember all sorts of IPs (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX format for those not familiar). The length of the number is not an issue, it's not having to read/input the number on a regular basis.

Chris
    Yeah, when you have the IP addresses of all the root DNS servers memorized - (A through M), along with their owners and locations but can't recall your next door neighbor's cell number......

My daughter told me last month "Dad, you can remember a 32-character firewall password, but won't go to the grocery store without a shopping list!"

Because that firewall shit is important, dearie.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm amazed you didn't get disgusted and give up driving!

Hey, X- Man! Ford didn't have a V-6 in 1966!

For the record, I don't consider myself a Boomer or Gen-X. I'm a little bit of both, yet neither one. I fall into the cracks in between.
    Had to down-shift to go up hill (88hp) but I was 16, it had wheels and went from A to B...freedom!

2nd car was a '66 Mustang GT, huge change!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Man, I so want one of those bad boys! I'd be blasting the Peter Gunn theme from the stereo, and smoking a cigar big enough to give an entire Latin American country emphysema.

With a blued steel and walnut pump shotgun in the gun rack, natch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Are younguns always running around your cart at WalMart?

Do they make fun of you when you clear jams in your 1911 at a USPSA match?

People ignoring your sage advice on ammunition and reloading threads?

THIS IS THE THREAD FOR YOU!!

Here you can get advice on all these issues, and more!

We’ll help you find a replacement pair of White Velcro sneakers like they used to make!!

We’ll suggest ways to make whippersnappers respect you in discussion threads!!

We’ll be here when you get up more than 7 times a night to pee!!

We’ll give you tips to smugly bring key “Tide Pods”, mention student debt and “your generation couldn’t start a lawnmower” catchphrases into any conversation with millennials!!

We’ll help your 1911 run like a Glock!! (Sorry, we can’t do that one).

...ALL THIS AND MORE!!

Post your question here for immediate support!!

Our operators are standing by.

Void where prohibited.

No purchase necessary.

I do pretty much all of this as is - it took me over 2 months to convince a friend that his reload issues of not chambering was being a hair too long in OAL (someone else set it up for him), and shortened .015 and no more issues. He still won't case gauge because "i like to see the primers". I also really like 2 stroke motors with pull starts, and FJR/Goldwing motorcycles over naked liter bikes. I prefer J frames and 1911's. I still don't know what the right click on a mouse does.

My two 9mm 1911's do run like most people's Glock's (at least around here).

I'm 35.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't have to remember that far back for that. I know we're an odd breed anyway, but a lot of us wore hats in Investigations. I still bust one out on occasion. The Stetson Stratoliner is my favorite.
    I have a Stratoliner that belonged to my grandpa. He told me he donated blood for a guy (in the 40s or 50s I think). He said the guy took him to a hat shop in Dayton and told the clerk to give him the best hat in the store.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It used to be letters and digits...like LI4-5027 or BO3-7500

It was mind boggling when it went to seven digits and no letters.
    Or like Fleetwood 4551 which was flw 4551.

For decades Mississippi had only one area code. So you could call anybody else in the state by dialing 1 and then their number. Before area codes and associated technology, you dialed the operator and told her the city and state and then the phone number. All operators were female. In a small city, the operator knew everybody. Mary might dial 0 and ask Jane to ring Mabel. There was a good reason not to say certain things on the telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Or like Fleetwood 4551 which was flw 4551.
    Boomer stuff:

Beechwood 4-5789

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    When I was growing up the McColgan Hotel was a whorehouse located on the main street near two churches and the police station. As a joke we would might say that somebody's phone number was MCG xxx. One night a Baptist preacher fell dead on top of a prostitute at the Hotel. I was called upon to help carry him across town so he could be found elsewhere. I had one end. A cop had the other.

We would call "Chicken Delight" and order a dinner to be delivered to some hapless soul. Funny, how when we were kids we didn't realize how much the things we did and thought were funny would not be funny once we were older.

Laying on the hoods of cars, (sometimes taking emblems! ), and a bunch of other stuff I prefer not to remember since becoming somewhat more respectable.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List