Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AI Drone Kills Operator. Skynet is Born.

Site Supporter

AI Drone Kills Operator. Skynet is Born.

USAF Chief Says AI-Drone Killed Human Operator During Simulation Test

“We were training it in simulation to identify and target a [surface-to-air missile] threat,” Hamilton said. “And then the operator would say ‘yes, kill that threat.’ The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat, at times, the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective.”
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

AI Drone Kills Operator. Skynet is Born.

Wow, that was fast. Also I was hoping that your comment about skynet was an exaggeration but it feels pretty reasonable after reading that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well that's awkward.

But putting a live warhead on a device while it's in test seems like a...dumb idea if you ask me.

Site Supporter
    Rereading the linked story I realized that it was unclear that it was a simulation. No humans were actually harmed, but, it's still chilling to know what could have happened if it was not a simulation.

https://twitchy.com/aaronw-313234/20...man-commander/

Now, we will point out that all of this is in simulation. No actual humans or even SAMs were destroyed in this test. And the story goes on:

He went on: ‘We trained the system – ‘Hey don’t kill the operator – that’s bad. You’re gonna lose points if you do that’. So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target.’
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

something something something shoot the toaster.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Rereading the linked story I realized that it was unclear that it was a simulation. No humans were actually harmed, but, it's still chilling to know what could have happened if it was not a simulation.

https://twitchy.com/aaronw-313234/20...man-commander/
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Apparently used the movie Speed as reference material!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    something something something shoot the toaster.
    With full knowledge and awareness, as a species, we are engineering our own destruction.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    This isn't a case of AI going rogue, it's a case of inadequate software design. Even an old school finite state machine could be set up to avoid the problems described.

User Tag List