Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomer Support Thread

Site Supporter
    My 1st car was a '57 Triumph TR3. Bought in '64 for $500. Drove that car through 5 years of college and two years of Army. (Vietnam draftee). Started first with Rallys and then auto-X. Did all my own work, modifying it for competition. That car took me to two auto-X championships.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    When they got rid of human telephone operators and just recorded your name for collect calls you could do this:

That was a common one when we had a payphone at school. Lotta rejected charges for "Imdonepickmeup".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    If you have and use a turntable, that makes you a modern hipster.
    He said that he *still* has records, not that he buys new ones and scrounged up his parent/grandparent’s hifi system.

First car I was allowed to drive on the road was dad’s ‘69 Coronet 440, which actually had a 318 V8. Later, I had a ‘74 Duster with the same engine.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-11-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Ok people, so what was your first car?
    Gen Xer here, but a 3/4ton 1975 Chevy. 454 with a Holley 750 Double Pumper, Hooker Headers, Posi-Rear End. 4-6 MPGs maybe 8 or 9, if I stayed out of it. But, I was 16, so it would pass everything but a gas station. But it was OKLAHOMA so gas was cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    He said that he *still* has records, not that he buys new ones and scrounged up his parent/grandparent’s hifi system.
    1) That's why I said "if".
    2) More LPs sold last year than CDs. Vinyl is back, man!

My first car was a '67 Mustang, 289. Mostly rust colored...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Did I miss mentions of black and white TV?

The whole family went to the living room to watch the first channel to show color.
    Our neighbors had the first color TV on the block we knew about. We kids all piled over there in 1969 to watch the moon landing. Reception was bad that night, the video feed was lousy, and the TV itself wasn't all that good anyway. We ended up going home and watched the moon walk on our black and white TV. Reception was marginally better.

Our cat Stripey used to paw at outfielders on that TV screen on Sunday afternoons. Lastros, Disastros, whatever you cared to call them. Perennial cellar dwellers.
    Last edited by delphidoc; 01-12-2020 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    8 pages in and nobody has mentioned rotary phones? You guys are slacking.
    Beta Max and Laser Discs too along with my apple IIe that literally sucked for an 8 year old

User Tag List