Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Peart RIP

Likewise Badlanders I saw them many many times, was my second concert after BOC back in 1979.... All the Worlds A Stage ....

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Fuck me I'm weepy as shit. Rush was the first band I really got into. I brought all their albums, memorized their lyrics, saw them a few times in concert, they were basically my touchstone throughout high school.

Glad to have a place were people understand.

Dammit. This literally is the end of an era. The guy was an icon; I saw them live several times.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Neal Peart was one of the first two drummers who I recognized as not only being excellent at his craft, but also making the band around him better. Phil Ehart of Kansas was the other at that time, and I've found very few others since then. There may be others who can work the drums as well as or better than Peart, but very, very few who I listen to and think damn, he's an integral part of what makes them sound so good. Most bands, you could unplug drummer A and plug in drummer B and not notice the difference. Neal Peart wasn't like that. Rush would never have sounded like Rush without him. I saw more Rush concerts than any other band, probably because they toured so much. I don't think I missed a tour between 1984 and when they retired except for their last go. Peart once said "The only thing worse than touring is not touring", which probably explains why they actually performed so much over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Neal Peart was one of the first two drummers who I recognized as not only being excellent at his craft, but also making the band around him better. Phil Ehart of Kansas was the other at that time, and I've found very few others since then. There may be others who can work the drums as well as or better than Peart, but very, very few who I listen to and think damn, he's an integral part of what makes them sound so good. Most bands, you could unplug drummer A and plug in drummer B and not notice the difference. Neal Peart wasn't like that. Rush would never have sounded like Rush without him. I saw more Rush concerts than any other band, probably because they toured so much. I don't think I missed a tour between 1984 and when they retired except for their last go. Peart once said "The only thing worse than touring is not touring", which probably explains why they actually performed so much over the years.
    I'd add the Who to that list. Who covers without Moon's drum style (or Entwhistle's bass) tend to sound anemic and bland.

I got to see Rush live back in '92 (with Primus opening), and it was amazing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Something about Rush and Neil Peart that always struck me was how hard they worked. Some bands would have one or two openers and maybe play ninety minutes -- and not sound good. For the entire latter portion of their career, Rush had no opening acts and played two ninety-minute sets while sounding amazing and playing very challenging pieces. My wife is amazed at how many versions of songs like "YYZ", "Limelight", "Subdivisions", and "Driven" I have on our iTunes account. Everyone of them is from a live album.

The same dedication to live playing went into songs and albums. And the band members are (and were) so modest.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Something about Rush and Neil Peart that always struck me was how hard they worked. Some bands would have one or two openers and maybe play ninety minutes -- and not sound good. For the entire latter portion of their career, Rush had no opening acts and played two ninety-minute sets while sounding amazing and playing very challenging pieces. My wife is amazed at how many versions of songs like "YYZ", "Limelight", "Subdivisions", and "Driven" I have on our iTunes account. Everyone of them is from a live album.

The same dedication to live playing went into songs and albums. And the band members are (and were) so modest.
    Don't forget their self-depreciating sense of humor.
    How many bands have toured with stacks of clothesdryers instead of amps? Or done polka versions of their own songs?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Fuck Cancer

I echo a lot of Farscott’s thoughts. Great memories of Rush in the late 70’s and early 80’s as they hit their peak and I was a teenager in high school then. Saw them many times back then and brings back great memories. Was our favorite band back then. Cancer sucks!! God bless him and his family.

Never been the biggest fan of Rush, but the world is a little darker without the shining light of Peart’s talent.

Site Supporter
    I had more than one formative moment as a youth set to a copy of 2112 playing in my walkman or a cassette deck.

RIP Neal

User Tag List