Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Importing Steel Cased 300 Blackout

Tangential, but I had a nice chat with a gentleman in the LGS last week who was picking up his Remington 700 build in .300BO. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do with it, either.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Remington 700 build in .300BO.
    He must not be a reloader. Because if you are, there's almost no need for that cartridge in a bolt action rifle. Not even for suppressed use.

I'm glad to see a lower cost ammo options becoming available, but it may be a little late in the game. Other than subsonic, 6.5 Grendel is a better step up from 5.56.

I've been having success with .300 BLK taking wild hogs, but the range is somewhat limited.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    What are the mag options for the other intermediate cartridges like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8spc.?

One of the attractions to me for .300 blackout is that most standard ar mags work well but iirc there’s only a couple of
    companies making suitable mags for Grendel and 6.8 and they weren’t 30rds.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-11-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Crappy ammo for the poors......

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What are the mag options for the other intermediate cartridges like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8spc.?

One of the attractions to me for .300 blackout is that most standard ar mags work well but iirc there’s only a couple of
    Ruger has now released the American Ranch in 6.5G and is offering several different capacity mags. There several makers offering them. As I am only interested in it for hog shooting, the capacity isn't a big issue for me; however, I do see your point about mag interchangeability.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I like .300BO, I’m considering only building in that caliber going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    6.5 Grendel is superior for what I want an AR to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I agree with Alpha Sierra - 6.5G does everything and more .300 BO does that I am looking for (not subsonic).
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Other than subsonic, 6.5 Grendel is a better step up from 5.56.
    Have we done a "The big 5.56 vs 6.5G vs .300 in a 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread" thread yet? If not, I'll start one in the carbine forum later today because that's exactly the debate I'm having in my head right now with ammo price and brass vs steel case being part of my thought process.
    Last edited by awp_101; 01-11-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Have we done a "The big 5.56 vs 6.5G vs .300 in a 10.5"-12.5" general purpose pistol/SBR thread" thread yet? If not, I'll start one in the carbine forum later today because that's exactly the debate I'm having in my head right now with ammo price and brass vs steel case being part of my thought process.
    Here's another to add to your comparison:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.277_Wolverine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

I have 6.8 and 6.5G ARs - no issues getting mags. The cartridge's are fatter so the hicaps are usually around 25 do they are similar in length to standard 223 30 rounders. I tend to use the 10 round shorter mags as my 6.5G is focused on long range steel and my 6.8 is a hunter.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The Grendel forum and the 6.8 forum are full of SBR threads. The 6.8 and 6.5G crowds are like cats and dogs, oil and water, Mustang vs Camaro, etc. The 6.8 and 6.5G lovers tend to unite only to hate on 300BO!

In a very general, stereotypical statement - the 6.8 crowd focuses on hunting, self defense, and tactical applications while the 6.5G crowd tends to focus on target shooting (steel out to 1000) and longer range hunting with some tactical and HD discussions.

I have both - a 14.5 (pinned to 16) 6.8 for hunting out to 200+ and a 20 inch 6.5G for longer range hunting (Antelope in Wyoming) plus target work. I reload for both but also use Hornady, Federal, and Prvi factory as available.

User Tag List