Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Of Taking A Stroll Back To The Glock World After Years Away (Glock 19X?)

Shoot better with it compared to what?

I've kinda been keeping track of a 19X that's been making the rounds with the guys I shoot with and it ain't no 34 or even a 17...

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Shoot better with it compared to what?

I've kinda been keeping track of a 19X that's been making the rounds with the guys I shoot with and it ain't no 34 or even a 17...
    Only other Glocks I have to compare to are a 34 and 19. Obviously the full grip makes a big difference compared to the 19.

It’s very possible I need more time behind the 34, admittedly.
    Last edited by tlong17; 01-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    Only other Glocks I have to compare to are a 34 and 19. Obviously the full grip makes a big difference compared to the 19.

It’s very possible I need more time behind the 34, admittedly.
    We haven't found the grip to make a measurable difference between a 19 and 19X.

I, and others, have found a 34 to be about the same as a G17 out to 15 yards or so, then the 34 pulls ahead as a little easier to make make a low probability hit with.

I think I can rip a mag dump faster with a 19 than a 17, but I've never put it to a timer. Making shots count, I do measurably better with a 17, but it's close.

My gen 4 have fairly erratic ejection, although btf isn't a common thing to happen to me. I usually shoot +p ammo through them. Anyway I don't know if anyone mentioned it on here or not but I bought some gen 5 trigger housings with the 47021 ejectors in them. I pulled out those ejectors and put them in my gen 4 trigger housings and get pretty dang good ejection. A constant 3 to 4 feet at about a 3:30 - 4:00 angle.

So, a bit of an update here. I am leaning towards the G19X for a number of reasons, firstly it's just a cool gun and I absolutely am fed up with all black guns. Secondly, according to Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions... who usually has his fact checked... claims they went 200,000 rounds in testing without a stoppage. If that is true, I am ridiculously impressed... assuming I understood what he said correctly in his YouTube video. I do have experience with the G17's so I feel that I have a leg up the fact it uses the same basic frame shape.

I am leaning towards getting a Mitch Rosen Stylemaster Express for carry, as it suits my needs these days and I am ok with it's limitations. I've come to appreciate all day comfort and not having a tight belt on all day makes a big difference. These holsters are supposed to be fantastic BTW, I don't doubt it... Mitch's shop makes great stuff in my experience. Also, if I end up really not liking the pistol... I could probably still run a P-10C in this same holster I would imagine given what CZ claims on holster fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Given 20 each of G19X and G45, I don't see an obvious difference in ejection, and no difference whatsoever in functional reliability across ammunition.

This oft-discussed breechface machining is not anywhere near as significant as the internet makes it out to be.
    I suspect this may be quite true, I am guessing if it were needed on the G19X they'd have been making the recent ones with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IMO there's two ways of looking at this:
    1) Go with the standard
    Get yourself a Gen 5 standard Glock 19 off the showroom floor. People hate when I say this, but if that gun doesn't work for you...
    2) Try and find perfect
    Read through this thread and others, go to the gun shops and gun shows and try to put your hands on every version, agonize over MOS or not, FDE or not, which factory sight options to choose...

Look, I've done, and still do, both. In my head I *know* that option 1 is correct (not just with guns but with just about everything in life), yet I get sucked into the rabbit hole of #2 more often than I'd care to admit. I try to remind myself to just go shoot the gun, but it doesn't always work.

I will say that typically I go down the rabbit hole, and then eventually wind up with #1. Sometimes before I wasted a bunch of time/money, others before I make a snowflake purchase. Just as examples, here's one where I did it "right" IMO. Here's another recent example where I'm doing it right. Here's one where I'm spiraling down the rabbit hole. Here's another one where I, and a bunch of other folks, continue to circle the drain.

The point is, sometimes it's the chase that's the fun. I personally take great pleasure and pride in trying to find "perfect" and then feeling good about the purchase I made. What I also often find is that the route to option 1 is a true need/use, while option 2 is generally based in fantasy land to begin with.
    This is sage advice, though for myself... I'm going to probably go for the G19X in that I don't mind the slightly longer grip. I also appreciate that the two extra spare mags are 19 rounds so I don't have to buy more to start carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    I absolute love my 45. The entire concept of the full size grip on the compact slide has really won me over. Which is interesting because at first I thought it was the stupidest thing ever. I consistently shoot better with that combo for whatever reason. You can’t go wrong with any of the Gen 5’s though in my opinion. I don’t see a reason to get the 19x other than for the cool factor. Which is worth something!
    I have to admit when the G19X came out I thought it was completely a dumb thing to do, since everyone always says we need shorter grips rather than shorter slides. That said, I've come to find that the slide length does matter for concealment and comfort at times. Also, it does lend something different from a physics standpoint that should make it shoot differently.

I say go for it.

I want a 19X just for a place to hang my FDE Surfire light and suppressor!

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I say go for it.

I want a 19X just for a place to hang my FDE Surfire light and suppressor!
    I have been looking at getting one of the FDE X300 for a while now, this may put me over the edge finally.

A 19X is a good choice, especially if you like a different color. Mitch Rosen has, in my limited experience, always built quality gear. I have a 19X, and found a Streamlight TLR1 in FDE/tan/sand which I put with it. A Surefire is an upgrade by almost any measure.
    The 19X reportedly did well in all testing, and I had zero issues with my sample. My only note would be the Gen5 mag base plate with its little lip won’t seat in the 19X frame. No big deal-just be aware.
    Let us know how it works out!

You will not go wrong with the 19X as I have 2 of them and really like the peanut butter look of them compared to the boring all black gun Glock is notorious for. Of course the X has some features that their other guns do not and that also makes it a neat gun to have and shoot. For the price, you cant go wrong. Mine shoot poa/poi and are flat shooting guns as well. I shoot my gen4 19 a little better but that I think is because I have had a 19 since I could buy one at 21 so I have allot of time behind the 19 so I need to give the 19x some time so I can get there with that platform as well. I am trying too though and enjoying the process and so will you...
    Last edited by Eagle1*; 01-14-2020 at 05:52 AM.

So 19X has a color other than black which makes up for the lack of FCS, magwell, and the addition of that stupid lip that makes it incompatible with Gen 5 mags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List