Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudy

Rudy

I am retired and I am somewhat new to shooting. After trying out a number of pistols for IDPA use, I seem to like the way the M&P pro series 5" feels and fits my hand. When I shoot off of a rest at 15 yds. I can shoot 3 inch groups with several guns, even though they don't feel as good as the S&W. My question: the M&P simply won't shoot that small a group. It shoots larger inconsistent groups.

I have been told my several knowledgeable people, that average accuracy is inherent in this make and model of gun. Please advise!

Rudy

Welcome Rudy. My name is Rich.

Approximately when was your M&P Pro manufactured? Would you happen to know if it was a ‘1.0” or a “2.0”?

Has anyone other than your self shot it? If so, what were their results?
    Last edited by RJ; 01-10-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Rudy

The gun in is a gen 1 and was purchased about 2017. I have had a couple of good shooters try the gun, and they feel it could shoot better.

The accuracy of GEN1 M&P pistols had been the subject of a great deal of discussion on this forum a few years back. They were known for having poor 25yd accuracy compared to competitors.

ETA: Here is a dated 36 page thread on the topic.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....p-P-9-accuracy
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-10-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by rdm78633@gmail.com View Post
    The gun in is a gen 1 and was purchased about 2017. I have had a couple of good shooters try the gun, and they feel it could shoot better.
    The thread referenced above is good. There should be a lot of info to digest.

Bottom line though is some early M&Ps in 9mm are consistent, and some are not. Sounds like yours might be one of the latter.

I’m sympathetic, because I bought a M&P 9mm in 2013 for very similar reasons. It was very comfortable to shoot and it fit me well. It also did not shoot groups very well. I sold it and bought a different gun.

I had the same pistol new in 2015. Accuracy was anything but consistent. I finally traded it back to the shop where I bought it. I own several pistols that are much more accurate at 25 yards: Glock 19 Gen 5, Beretta M9, any of my 1911’s, and Sig P226/P229.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm78633@gmail.com View Post
    As mentioned, the generation one guns in 9 mm tended to be inconsistent and have accuracy issues at 25 yards.

Some had accuracy issues with all types of ammo, others shot OK with heavier bullet such as 147 Green ammunition but shot poorly with the lighter bullets. .

If you like the M&P and don’t want to switch to a different platform You have two options.

Option one is to sell or trade your generation one gun for a generation two, which generally have good accuracy as well as better trigger pull and grip texture.

Option two is to purchase an aftermarket fitted barrel from Apex and have it fitted by gunsmith.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-10-2020 at 10:29 PM.

I don't see gunsmith fit barrels on the Apex Tactical site, only semi drop-in barrels.

Did they stop making the gunsmith fit barrels?

Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The thread referenced above is good. There should be a lot of info to digest.

Bottom line though is some early M&Ps in 9mm are consistent, and some are not. Sounds like yours might be one of the latter.

I’m sympathetic, because I bought a M&P 9mm in 2013 for very similar reasons. It was very comfortable to shoot and it fit me well. It also did not shoot groups very well. I sold it and bought a different gun.
    What gun did you buy to replace the M&P?

Site Supporter
    I competed and carried M&P Gen 1 9mms for years with no issues. I still have multiple M&P Gen 1 9mms but moved on to the M&P Gen 2 9mms - Compacts for carry - FA and 5 inch for play. Around Atlanta - you can find M&P Gen 2 9mms for $350 to $400. Many are satisfied with the Gen 2 trigger - if you are not, $50 to $100 in APEX trigger parts will make a very nice trigger. Mags, holsters, etc. ate cheap.

User Tag List