Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Something to keep an eye out for: Hydra-Shok Deep .380

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Does "heavy clothing" always refer to 4 layers denim, or are they allowed to use whatever they want for that definition?

cc
    "Heavy Clothing" refers to FBI standards established in 1989: (1) layer of Denim (14.4 ounces/yard), (1) layer of Polartec 200 fleece, (1) layer of cotton dress shirt (3.5 ounces/yard) and (1) cotton T-shirt (5.25 ounces/yard) layered firmly on the face of the ballistic gelatin block.

The 4 layers of denim standard is from the IWBA in 1998 and was developed by Duncan MacPherson because the California Highway Patrol kept having bullets that passed FBI standards fail to expand in the real world.

For a more detailed history see: http://thinlineweapons.com/IWBA/1998-Vol3No3.pdf
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-22-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Hammertime
    I like the idea of this round. Hopefully it is a well built cartridge for defensive reliability. By the photos, I assume they appear to be limiting the expansion to a modest amount so that they get the penetration desired. It won't expand like a 9mm, but will get deep enough. But then 9mm doesn't expand like .40 or .45 either.

Nice to see a manufacturer developing the .380 a bit intelligently as opposed to trying to get massive expansion at the expense of penetration.

13.5" in bare gel is very good. Probably 14.5-15" through denim. 380 sales will likely get a nice little boost from this round alone.

Between this, it's post-free cousins called "Punch", 10mm HST, and the Syntech Defense line, Federal is doing a good job at expanding offerings.

I like the idea of this.

I've weighed the Hornady Critical Defense's slick nickel cases and QC but shallow penetration against the XTP's penetration but brass cases and....supposed...lesser QC of the American Gunner or Custom lines. This could be the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 01-22-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

FWIW, a brief discussion of the genesis of this load as well as design of the Punch line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzM1...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by BeckerBrain View Post
    I seem to remember a thread on another forum a couple years back where a confirmed medical examiner and avid shooter agreed to answer a few questions and give his opinions on various calibers and bullet types. Anybody else see this? I could be wrong but iirc I think he said that a huge majority of the .380 he sees is FMJ (because those shot with SJHP’s tend to survive?). Hydra Shok deep seems pretty promising in other calibers, so if can really reach 12” consistently that would be very interesting indeed. There’s been so much talk the last few years about ammo tech advancement leading to much much better performance in 9mm, I always wondered if this would trickle down to .380 as well. . .

Ah yes! This post colored my opinions about caliber/load selection for many years, basically from when I bought my first handgun around 2014 until I discovered PF. An enjoyable and interesting read:

http://southernoutdoorlife.com/mouseguns/deadmeat.htm

Federal's new video on the differences between HST, Hydra-Shok Deep and Punch:

Anyone seen the 380 load available anywhere?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Anyone seen the 380 load available anywhere?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Curious also

User Tag List