Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WWSD Rifle- anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    What’s the LOP comparison of the (assuming a1 length of the inrange lower) and the various position on a (4?) position M4 stock?
    " MK3 : A1 Length 13” Length of Pull "
    http://www.kearms.com/mk3-polymer-receiver.aspx

What’s the LOP comparison of the (assuming a1 length of the inrange lower) and the various position on a (4?) position M4 stock?
    The fixed stock is an A1 length from Fulton Armory and the collapsible is a 6 position tube from PSA set one position in from fully extended. Keep in mind I didn't take the time to line them up perfectly, they're different barrel lengths and gas systems, angle of the pic, ect. But a collapsible stock set to it's second most extended position is same as an A1 or close enough to not matter. Assuming it's a standard carbine setup and not an A5 or have a LAW folder or something.
    Name:  stoks.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  49.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think that the CavArms were hit and miss; mine is certainly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    http://www.inrange.tv/wwsd

I am 99% sure I built an exact version of that many moons ago with a cavarms (barfcom maybe?) lower and a Colt pencil barrel, flattop A1 upper (maybe that was cavarms too) and a carbon-fiber handguard.
    I’ll take a stripped lower or five, though. I really like that lower - have since I first saw a CavArms back in the day.
    http://www.gwacsarmory.com/lower-receivers-ar-15/

GWACS Armory purchased the rights, IP, and everything else for the CAV-15 MKII from Cavalry Arms. They are the same receivers. I believe that GWACS honors warranty service on original CavArms receivers.

I have 2 CavArms guns that I slapped together on a budget, one in FDE/coyote and the other in Ranger Green(back when that was a thing), with matching Magpul MOE handguards. DSArms melonite carbine uppers, Spikes bolt carriers, MI fixed rear sights w/ XS same-plane apertures, and XS tritium front sights rounded out the package. I wound up installing QD mounts for single-point sling mounting. They haven't been run anywhere close to hard, but they go "bang" with each trigger pull and generally follow the KISS concept.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 01-13-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

To further espouse upon the CavArms/GWACS relationship- my understanding is Russell Phagen (who appears regularly on IRTV) worked at Cav Arms for much of the MkI/MkII design. Around the time CavArms sold the MkII design/molds to GWACS, he left to become the principle of KE Arms, who is now developing the MkIII. Essentially this is one evolutionary development process, involving the same intellectual players, that spread across multiple brands.

Having said all that, I’ll likely be in for a couple lowers. I built an approximation of the WWSD 2017 using a traditional lower, but was rather disappointed in the over gassing of the Faxon barrel. I had to put an adjustable gas block on to get things under control with quality non-Russian ammo.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    The fixed stock is an A1 length from Fulton Armory and the collapsible is a 6 position tube from PSA set one position in from fully extended. Keep in mind I didn't take the time to line them up perfectly, they're different barrel lengths and gas systems, angle of the pic, ect. But a collapsible stock set to it's second most extended position is same as an A1 or close enough to not matter. Assuming it's a standard carbine setup and not an A5 or have a LAW folder or something.
    Name:  stoks.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  49.7 KB
    Thanks for the picture and the reference.

Production of the WWSD2020 has begun. InRange TV posted up a video detailing the production rifle:

Gotta say, I'm impressed. I think that the 16" pencil barrel is a better choice than the 14.5", and the chrome Young's carrier was a happy surprise.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

At a time when stripped lowers are hard to come by they are in stock and available, priced about what in stock lowers are selling for, and when you figure they are a lower and a stock and a buffer tube and a grip and a receiver plate and a castle nut all for about the current cost of a stripped lower, I am tempted.

And it should weigh less than all those equivalent parts. And I like the A1 fixed stock idea. It is interesting that the tube is setup to accept the carbine buffers rather than the rifle buffers.

So yeah, I am tempted, but that just puts be on the slippery slope of building a whole damn rifle, and not like that is a bad thing but I have been spending money like shit goes through a goose for like a year, and really have my ARs just about setup to be the way that I wan/need them.

That said, I want stuff like this to be successful, sooooo....

I like the idea, but wasn’t a complete fan of the end design...

I did the KE lower, which I’m still waiting on their parts kit to show up, and found a lightweight DoubleStar 16” upper. Tossed on a 1-6x optic, Surefire light, and hoping to get under a 6 pound unloaded weight. Figured it could be a decent extra rifle, especially if it was light enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    At a time when stripped lowers are hard to come by they are in stock and available, priced about what in stock lowers are selling for, and when you figure they are a lower and a stock and a buffer tube and a grip and a receiver plate and a castle nut all for about the current cost of a stripped lower, I am tempted.
    I picked up one of the stripped KE lowers from my preferred pusher a couple of weeks ago. I was in there dropping off a pistol for transfer and he had one in hand for me to check out. It was also the only lower he could get his hands on (small shop).

Once I pick up a LPK and get it assembled I plan on doing a thread comparing it to other lowers I have on hand. Eventually...

My long term plan is to use it for a .22 or 9mm PCC build but that’s always subject to whatever whim I’m chasing at the moment.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My long term plan is to use it for a .22 or 9mm PCC build but that’s always subject to whatever whim I’m chasing at the moment.
    I have a spare LPK and upper and a bunch of other stuff, I would probably need a BCG and barrel. I actually have two uppers, and one is a carry handle, and I am about to take a FSB off of another rifle and could make a nice light fixed sight 300BO. Damnit, must be strong...

User Tag List