Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt M4 Accessories Question....

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    You make a great point-I really don't care to spend any money on the butt, b/c it is adequate. The only thing I really want to change is the pistol grip.

Any thoughts on magazines??

Any comments on my optic choice? I won't be shooting much further than 100 yds-it's really a plinker for my range or a Zombie killer if need be
    One advantage to being in a ban state is that you could put padding on your buffer tube without affecting its operation.

When it comes to the other questions there are others on this thread that are far more knowledgeable than I am but may not operate in a ban state.

If you are forced to go with reduced capacity magazines, I have found that 20 round P mags with the 10 round limiters and epoxied/riveted for "permanence" are the best option for neutered mags. They are about as reliable as you can get, large enough to allow you to grip them during mag changes, low profile enough to keep them out of the way during bench or prone shooting, and can be assembled for about $18 a pop. I source mine from 44mag.com where they specialize in disassembling them so they can be shipped to ban states.

As far as optics, I really like my Aimpoint PRO for a the excellent cost to performance value it has.

Thanks guys!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Your optic fits your intended usage/ranges. Even without the magnifier, taking a RDS out to 400m on 16x16 gongs is doable with practice and an understanding that it's an RDS, i.e., a "point" optic, not a "precision" optic.

RE: mags....
    Neutered mags are problematic in both pistols and rifles, but the C-Products mags are not even close to being Best of Breed in the normal configuration. I've mostly had problems with welds popping, though the incidences of feed stoppages, before and after swapping to anti-tilt followes, was very disappointing.

That said, before you ditch the ones you have and spend $$$ when you may not need to, see if taking your magazine catch out by a turn allows them to drop freely. It costs nothing, and you can always put it back as it was. Caveat: it's actually pretty unlikely that this is the case, but it's something you can check for yourself.

To do this, push really hard on your magazine release; you may need to use a tool, because you want the bar on the opposite side of the magwell to come out beyond the raised shroud (that keeps it from doing so under normal usage), like so: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itstactical/5759983134/

Rotate that bar one full turn counter-clockwise, then get off the mag release and let it settle back to it's normal position. Try your mags. If they still don't fall, you could repeat and try another rotation or more....just don't unscrew the catch!

I've had literally NO students who used neutered mags of any sort....20-rounders, sure, but those were designed that way.....so I have no feedback to give regarding Magpul mags, and the limiters they offer, beyond what you already know: that they're an option. They're a smart option, regardless, because of the way in which they back their products.

Assuming a Dremel tool is not considered illegal in NJ, you can always consider just grinding the existing pistol grip down, and contouring it to the dimensions that fit you. I mean, if you are dead set on buying something, don't let me talk you out of it.

If the stock fits you, why change it? If having your face on the receiver extension bothers you, try a piece of Moleskin. Cheap, and easily replaced. If the $2.99 solution doesn't work, then maybe a different stock is in order.

Can't help you with mags other than to offer that with a carbine, "Drop Free" is not what I would consider a requirement. There are a lot of quality magazines that don't drop free. Part of your TTP's for running the carbine should be to strip every mag, every time. You don't need MagPul followers for this. Just grab the exposed portion of the magazine and pull it out of the gun.

Good call on dumping the EOTech, but I can't comment on the replacement optic as I have never seen one in use, and I have no idea who makes it. Chances are that it will hold up to recreational shooting, but I would have some reservations about putting it to hard use.

Of course, in the end, it all comes down to what you want, what you think you need, and what you want to spend. Everyone will have a little different perception of what is important to them. Identify what is important to you, and go from there.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    but I would have some reservations about putting it to hard use.
    That's a more-than-fair assessment of all the optical stuff that Sig offers; the knobs, in particular, like to get pried off if they take a whack against a doorframe, barricade, or similar. They aren't spun glass, but not the most robust of things, either.

Again, thanks! The Sig CP1 has been adequate. I had it on a PS90 and it is perfect for what it is and stupid cheap. I think I got it for $135 and it holds a good zero and it has a good series of powered green with 5 steps of brightness, powered red with the same 5 steps and a basic un-powered black cross hairs. Needless to say I won't be doing any no-knocks with this setup

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Assuming a Dremel tool is not considered illegal in NJ,
    You need to apply for an "Extraneous Tools Permit", pay $65 for fingerprints/SBI, and articulate an immediate, definitive need for the extraneous tool. Permits are issued on a 1 year basis. Tools kept outside of the home, but on property (such as a tool shed) require another permit from your locality for reasons of public safety. Only certain drill bits can be carried on your person; Screw Outs, for example, are strictly prohibited except for lawfully contracted and permitted construction activity on said site. Adjustable angle drill bits are also prohibited if the extraneous tool is battery powered.....if the tool is permanently affixed to a power cable, then it's ok.

Purchase of said tool or attachments are also limited to 1 per 30 day period.

I figured as much.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You need to apply for an "Extraneous Tools Permit", pay $65 for fingerprints/SBI, and articulate an immediate, definitive need for the extraneous tool. Permits are issued on a 1 year basis. Tools kept outside of the home, but on property (such as a tool shed) require another permit from your locality for reasons of public safety. Only certain drill bits can be carried on your person; Screw Outs, for example, are strictly prohibited except for lawfully contracted and permitted construction activity on said site. Adjustable angle drill bits are also prohibited if the extraneous tool is battery powered.....if the tool is permanently affixed to a power cable, then it's ok.

Purchase of said tool or attachments are also limited to 1 per 30 day period.
    OMFGISMP!
    ISMP: I did something in my pants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List