Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Conduct a Safe Chamber Check?

Here we go; this is pretty close to what I use, except I do it overhand for better leverage:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I used to simply operate the slide as I would when chambering or ejecting a round. I've recently found the method @TGS described below to grant a greater level of control over the motion of the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Personally, for a chamber check, I rotate my firing hand so that the beavertail is still sitting in the web of my hand, but my fingers are across the top of the slide and I "pinch" the slide open by closing my grip (which pulls the slide rearward slightly against the web of my hand holding the frame stationary). I find this more controllable than doing it the same way I would rack the gun, and it's how we were taught by Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico when I was in the USMC.

Let me know if that is confusing and I'll do a picture.

I’ll add another recommendation to the method TGS described. It offers far better control of slide movement vs manipulating the slide similarly to chambering a round so you don’t end up accidentally ejecting a round while doing a chamber check.

I believe the following picture is what is being described, and it is what I do

Name:  7173EB41-582B-43B7-BDEF-9DF06AF38B18.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  31.4 KB

Another method is to take one’s thumb and hook it under the beaver tail area, then take your index and middle fingers and hook them on the rear sight and use a pinching motion to slightly retract the slide.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 01-09-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Langdon will show how with a Beretta 92 early in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VP4X6FVa4E

Tiger McKee with a 1911 at around the :45 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZgYb-ReSU

The late Paul Gomez with a Glock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU68wjU5b80
    Last edited by JTQ; 01-09-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Bill Rapier teaches this method:

For me it doesn't work, as I don't have as big of hands as his.

The below method is the way I check the chamber everyday:

Thumb on back of pistol grip tail, all but pinky fingers on slide, pull the slide back and you can visually see the bullet in the chamber and/or in low/no light you can use your pinky to tactile feel the bullet in the chamber. Let the slide go forward and tap the backplate two or three times to make sure the slide is seated.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

The below method is the way I check the chamber everyday:

Christ almighty, finally a pic on the internet that shows the hand orientation I was looking for. I thought I was going to have to hold a phone in my teeth, or something. Hat tip to @voodoo_man

This pic^^^

Strong hand makes sure the muzzle is pointed somewhere prudent; I use a push/pull scissor pinch, but, yeah, this.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-09-2020 at 10:50 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0NzEE0kPG8

Skip to 1:19.

Or enjoy the whole scene, it is one of the better ones.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Banned

Am I doing this wrong?

Of course assuming the gun is pointed down range and the range is hot

I can see the brass at the back end of the chamber, I just look

Last edited by Cypher; 01-09-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Of course assuming the gun is pointed down range and the range is hot

I can see the brass at the back end of the chamber, I just look

I'm a bit weird in this aspect too. But since RJ asked, I also chamber check by looking in the gap. I rotate the gun "gangsta" style, pull it straight back to me keeping it pointed safe direction and look for the glint. Sometimes you need to catch the light just right, but it's usually easy. I have never heard of a malfunction being induced by chamber checking, but I personally figure the less fiddlefucking around I do with the round in the chamber and shuffling of the top round in the magazine the better. I also keep in mind DocGKR"s warnings about rechambering defense rounds. I don't know if a press check is a violent enough action to potentially cause primer problems, but with my method it's completely a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0NzEE0kPG8

Skip to 1:19.

Or enjoy the whole scene, it is one of the better ones.

User Tag List