Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Defense load recommendations for 38 Special 4" Service Revolver

Any thoughts on the 130 grain HST Micro? It did well in the Lucky Gunner test but not sure how reliable that is.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Any thoughts on the 130 grain HST Micro? It did well in the Lucky Gunner test but not sure how reliable that is.
    @Tokarev did not have very good results in organic gel, especially with auto glass.

Luckygunner used clear gel

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    @Tokarev did not have very good results in organic gel, especially with auto glass.

Not from a 4" barrel but here's the thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hlight=federal

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Those looked like pretty decent results to me from a sub 2 inch barrel 38 special. The vast majority of us will never need to shoot through auto glass so I don't see that as an issue for a pocket CCW.

Well I ordered a box of 50 Speer 135 gr +P short BBL to try in Wifey's revolvers. If it shoots to her fixed sights we will switch.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Those looked like pretty decent results to me from a sub 2 inch barrel 38 special. The vast majority of us will never need to shoot through auto glass so I don't see that as an issue for a pocket CCW.
    I spend enough time in and around vehicles to be a factor in my decision making. That and its been said that auto glass actually makes a good stand in for bone.

Some good recommendations above.

From a 4" I'd probably be OK with: Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P and the Winchester Bonded 130 gr +P, as well the Rem 158 gr LSWCHP +P and maybe the Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Some good recommendations above.

From a 4" I'd probably be OK with: Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P and the Winchester Bonded 130 gr +P, as well the Rem 158 gr LSWCHP +P and maybe the Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense.
    Thanks Doc. I just ordered an LE box of the Speer.

I think I'm gonna switch her over to wadcutters in her M638 snub. I recall that there may be some advantage to using a round that utilizing a hard cast wadcutter? Looking at trying DoubleTap Defense 38 Special 148gr WC. It uses a hardcast bullet and it is available at my LGS.

I know most folks here use the Federal Match but it is very hard to find right now.
    Last edited by 4given; 01-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Thanks Doc. I just ordered an LE box of the Speer.

I think I'm gonna switch her over to wadcutters in her M638 snub. I recall that there may be some advantage to using a round that utilizing a hard cast wadcutter? Looking at trying DoubleTap Defense 38 Special 148gr WC. It uses a hardcast bullet and it is available at my LGS.

I know most folks here use the Federal Match but it is very hard to find right now.
    I have loaded hard cast but never bought any commercially loaded hard cast.

I wonder the benefit of hard cast vs the federal match which I assume is hbwc? I think the hbwc would have a sharper cutting edge but I'm sure each have benefits. I carry the federal match and shoot precision delta wadcutters at the range.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 01-24-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have loaded hard cast but never bought any commercially loaded hard cast.

I wonder the benefit of hard cast vs the federal match which I assume is hbwc? I think the hbwc would have a sharper cutting edge but I'm sure each have benefits. I carry the federal match and shoot precision delta wadcutters at the range.
    I'm thinking a hard cast wadcutter with a flat 100% meplat (not beveled) would be sharper and would not deform as easily. From Doc's 38 vs 380 bug gun sticky post:

"When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)"

User Tag List