Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defense load recommendations for 38 Special 4" Service Revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IME, 4” revolvers usually shoot to point of aim with 158-grain loads. My choice is Remington‘s version of the FBI load.
    I would recommend the old FBI /Chicago PD load in the 4”. I think Remington and Federal are the only two still loading it.

My Agency issues /requires the 135 grain Gold dot +p in our remaining J frames. The Gold dot and win Ranger are good snubbing loads and will work in the 4” in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The Remington FBI load (R38S12) has worked really well for a really long time. It's not great on hard barriers, but does work well on side to side "money shots" on bipedal threats and the classically expected frontal shots, too. My second choice would be the Speer 135 GDHP +P.
    Cool. End of thread, with plenty of time left to sweep up, lock up, and make happy hour at the craft cocktail place downtown.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Cool. End of thread, with plenty of time left to sweep up, lock up, and make happy hour at the craft cocktail place downtown.
    Cool - you’re buying, right?

I feel like the 4" barrel usually gets .38 +p into the velocity range were many options work great. In general, I would be fine with any jhp/sjhp/copper hp at 125 grains and up, the already oft-mentioned 135 grain Speer being what I would grab now, as it is my carry load for my 640. I wouldn't feel like I was giving up much with 125 grain Speer or even 125 grain Remington UMC SJHP. 129 grain Hydrashok would be last place since it tends to underexpand or underpenetrate if it does expand. Too bad, because it is mild and quite accurate in my 2" 640, at least.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 01-19-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I wish i bought some of those $15/100 boxes of 100 sjhp 125+p at walmart. They always shot well and performance in 4" barrels always seemed ok.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    RA38B Winchester Ranger Bonded 130gr +P
    Over the past few years Winchester's QC has sucked, big time. I no longer recommend their ammo.

The 135hr +p Gold Dot does work really well from 3 and 4" barrels though.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Over the past few years Winchester's QC has sucked, big time. I no longer recommend their ammo.

The 135hr +p Gold Dot does work really well from 3 and 4" barrels though.
    Thanks, Chuck. Yeah, I remember the reports.

I checked mine over pretty well and I still have quite a bit left...so, I don't think I'm changing just yet. Running it in my 642.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I’m leaning towards switching over to the Speer GD 135 +P as it seems to be widely used by LE, it has been tested and recommended by Doc, and is available in the 50 round LE packaging.

I did see some LE boxes of 50 Golden Saber 125 gr +P (GSSBB). I’m wondering if this is the same stuff as the GSSB she is using now? I could stock up on those and be good for a while longer but my guess is they are phasing these out as well.

Has anybody seen any real testing of the Golden Saber 38 125gr +P? It seems to do well compared to the Speer 135 + P and the Winchester 130 +P in the lucky gunner tests an YouTube videos but we know those results are always suspect.

Thanks for all the input and discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would recommend the old FBI /Chicago PD load in the 4”. I think Remington and Federal are the only two still loading it.

My Agency issues /requires the 135 grain Gold dot +p in our remaining J frames. The Gold dot and win Ranger are good snubbing loads and will work in the 4” in a pinch.
    For those going for the "FBI" load, keep in mind it seems like all tests show the Federal stuff doesn't expand, while the Remington does.

As for Lucky Gunner tests-- they seem like very nice folks, and I like their videos, but it's been said here before, and it will be said here again: CLEAR GEL IS NOT A GOOD SIMULATION OF HOW ROUNDS PERFORM IN FLESH. ONLY CALIBRATED BALLISTIC GELATIN HAS PROVEN VALIDITY IN TESTING BULLET PERFORMANCE.

Hell, my Redneck Ballistic Testing protocol has more validity than clear gel. (There is a reason why the Schwartz uses water for his calculations) And I am not basing my ammo choices too heavily on my own "testing." (Anything HP that doesn't expand is disqualified, unless I want a non-expanding HP, which I prefer in .32, and I like 3 jugs or more penetration, since most expanding .38 loads can achieve this)
    Last edited by Baldanders; 01-20-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

As for Lucky Gunner tests-- they seem like very nice folks, and I like their videos, but it's been said here before, and it will be said here again: CLEAR GEL IS NOT A GOOD SIMULATION OF HOW ROUNDS PERFORM IN FLESH. ONLY CALIBRATED BALLISTIC GELATIN HAS PROVEN VALIDITY IN TESTING BULLET PERFORMANCE.
    Agreed
    Last edited by 4given; 01-20-2020 at 04:31 PM.

User Tag List