Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Defense load recommendations for 38 Special 4" Service Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I'm thinking a hard cast wadcutter with a flat 100% meplat (not beveled) would be sharper and would not deform as easily. From Doc's 38 vs 380 bug gun sticky post:

"When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)"
    How about something like this— http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=555

Name:  DT .38 148 grain WC.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  48.6 KB

Assuming that the advertised velocity of 800 fps* out of a 4'' barrel holds for one's own revolver, the DT hardcast wadcutter (21BHN) should offer penetration between 18 and 22 inches according to the various predictive models.

D = 0.3575'', M = 148 gr., V = 800 fps
    Q-model = 18.31 inches
    mTHOR model = 20.52 inches
    MacPherson model = 21.99 inches

*If the .38 Special 148-grain hardcast wadcutter has to pass through a barrier before striking a human body, there should be a commensurate loss of penetration depth in accordance with the velocity lost due to the barrier encountered.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 01-24-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    How about something like this— http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=555

Name:  DT .38 148 grain WC.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  48.6 KB

Assuming that the advertised velocity of 800 fps* out of a 4'' barrel holds for one's own revolver, the DT hardcast wadcutter (21BHN) should offer penetration between 18 and 22 inches according to the various predictive models.

D = 0.3575'', M = 148 gr., V = 800 fps
    Q-model = 18.31 inches
    mTHOR model = 20.52 inches
    MacPherson model = 21.99 inches

*If the .38 Special 148-grain hardcast wadcutter has to pass through a barrier before striking a human body, there should be a commensurate loss of penetration depth in accordance with the velocity lost due to the barrier encountered.
    Thanks bro! I’ve been looking at this one as it is available locally but by all accounts the recoil is a little stiff for the wife’s M638 Airweight. I ordered some Speer 135 +P. I think we will give that a go in her M64 and M638.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Thanks bro! I’ve been looking at this one as it is available locally but by all accounts the recoil is a little stiff for the wife’s M638 Airweight. I ordered some Speer 135 +P. I think we will give that a go in her M64 and M638.
    That makes sense. If she can find something that is comfortable for her to fire from her M638, that is probably the best way to go. No point in challenging her any more than she needs to be should she be faced with the prospect of having to fire the gun under duress.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

On a full wadcutter, the important factor is the sharpness of the leading edge of the projectile, not the hardness of the lead--most lead wadcutters are too rounded/beveled in this area.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    On a full wadcutter, the important factor is the sharpness of the leading edge of the projectile, not the hardness of the lead--most lead wadcutters are too rounded/beveled in this area.
    Ive found the dewc/cast wadcutters are more rounded. The hbwc wadcutters for the most part appear to have sharper edges.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Some good recommendations above.

From a 4" I'd probably be OK with: Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P and the Winchester Bonded 130 gr +P, as well the Rem 158 gr LSWCHP +P and maybe the Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense.
    Doc

Do you have any thoughts on using BB 158 gr. standard FBI load in a 4" revolver. I have shot that and the +P version , but wonder if the standard pressure version, works well enough as a self defense round.

thanks

Officer Dave

Have not tested it.

However, for defensive use, I prefer to rely on loads from vendors with large USG contracts, with vetted inspection and testing processes...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List