Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for improving an integrated S&W front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks! I’m liking option 1...
    Me too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Here is what I had my local gunsmith do to my Model 15. He removed the old sight, cut a Novak dovetail and installed a 1911 sight and cut it to the correct height.
    Is that a local guy in Ohio? Did he do the refinishing?
    I have this cool old M-19:
    Name:  MMc M19.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  78.6 KB
    That I hardly ever shoot because I can't see the front sight without FO. I would be willing to file a groove, but it will need refinishing.

Another scheme I am tempted to try would be replicating what Wilson and others do for the fixed front sight on the Beretta 92:
    Name:  92.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  16.7 KB
    And I would be a little bolder to try this myself if I had an option to bail me out if I botched it. Actually, the more I type the bolder I become, what could happen, it has already been altered enough it is not a collectors piece and it just sits in my safe...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-11-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Cant be any harder than drilling the beretta front sight i installed a gold bead in.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yes, a local guy. D&D Gun Shop. Yes he did the refinishing, a dab of cold blue. I don't own any fancy guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Cant be any harder than drilling the beretta front sight i installed a gold bead in.
    I’m half assed tempted to file or mill the original blade into a Patridge and spot it for a gold bead. But, I’m waaaay out of practice with my Unimat, like decades.

For now, until finances allow a real fix I’ll be going with florescent orange nail polish.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much have decided I am gonna do this. Am rearranging one of the benches and will be setting up the drill press in a better spot, so it will be a while before I plunge.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Other than that, I’ve gone to other brands, namely Ruger, Colt, and Kimber—all of whom are embarrassing S&W with sight upgrades.
    I believe all the current production models except some of the J-frames have pinned front sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have this cool old M-19:
    Name:  MMc M19.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  78.6 KB
    That I hardly ever shoot because I can't see the front sight without FO. I would be willing to file a groove, but it will need refinishing.

Another scheme I am tempted to try would be replicating what Wilson and others do for the fixed front sight on the Beretta 92:
    Name:  92.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  16.7 KB
    And I would be a little bolder to try this myself if I had an option to bail me out if I botched it. Actually, the more I type the bolder I become, what could happen, it has already been altered enough it is not a collectors piece and it just sits in my safe...
    I have a 19-3 and its front sight is pinned. I had the original front ramp replaced with a Patridge. It's hard to see the pin because the front sights were installed prior to final polishing and bluing.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's hard to see the pin because the front sights were installed prior to final polishing and bluing.
    Yes, that is my dilemma, I like the thing the way it is, so I would like to avoid refinishing (and I hate the stink of cold blue, maybe they have changed it?) and really do not what to spend that much more money on it. I also have real stiction for spending half of a project's cost on shipping. So if there was somebody I could drop it off to and pick it up, I might go that route. But if I can do something myself, well then I get to strut around like Church Lady and show them what I did, all on my own, without any professional help. If I ruin it then I just botched up the part that would be machined away by a professional anyway.

I bought one of those cross slide vices that will not be for milling, but will ease the positioning and movement, helping me to hit the center of the sight. And again if I botch it up then I can go the pin or dovetail method...

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I have a 19-3 and its front sight is pinned. I had the original front ramp replaced with a Patridge. It's hard to see the pin because the front sights were installed prior to final polishing and bluing.
    You know, there is one spot on my 619 front blade that has always made me question whether mine is the same. It may be time to put a few drops of Kroil on it and see if it gets sucked in.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List