Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One of the best J-Frame Airweights ever made

Make sure you guys contact Smith and Wesson and ask for the return of these models. Using a no lock 642 as the base!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Are they sticky?

My biggest beef with rubber grips is when they are too sticky for pocket carry.

I may just go with some good old fashioned Precision Gun Specialities - Hideouts - https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-prod9924.aspx

Which are like the worst kept best secret in Smith & Wesson grips on the planet. If they made them for N-Frames, it'd be awesome.
    Being that a new 638 has found its way into my safe, I expect these will be in my "shoebox of stocks" before long

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I may just go with some good old fashioned Precision Gun Specialities - Hideouts - https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-prod9924.aspx
    I didn't know Brownells carries them. When I ordered mine years ago, I had to fax in the order form and mail a check

Site Supporter
    I am constantly amazed at how often Smith & Wesson has come up with a good idea, only to discontinue it within a year or so. I always hear it's because of poor sales but I would hope intrinsic worth might keep something in production, even if it doesn't turn out to be a top seller. Yea, I know. Silly me.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 01-09-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I am constantly amazed at how often Smith & Wesson has come up with a good idea, only to discontinue it within a year or so. I always hear it's because of poor sales but I would hope intrinsic worth might keep something in production, even if it doesn't turn out to be a top seller. Yea, I know. Silly me.

Dave
    Intrinsic worth to how many is the question though, ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Intrinsic worth to how many is the question though, ya?
    And once a J-Frame gets slightly beyond pocket size it probably starts to cannibalize sales from the easier to manufacture and probably more profitable Shield.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Making a J frame slightly larger also potentially gives up one of the few advantages it has over a Ruger LCR.

Offering an interchangeable sight on a 2” barrel would seem like a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I don't see a 5/8" increase in barrel length as destroying the "pocketability" of the J-frame and the slight increase in performance and sight radius would be worth it to me. Although I prefer the greater ejector length, I don't see reloading as a realistic possibility other than administrative. And I would have thought most of those folks who clammer for a 3" J-frame or Ruger LCR would have jumped on these Smiths. Guess not, so I'll crawl back under my rock. (smile)

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are 3-inch 337s and 360s. They go for a lot of money when they occasionally hit GB.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

After two years of sorting out my old timers snubby carry where I pitted the Kimber K6, the new Colt Cobra and the Smith 640 Pro, the only snubby I have left is the Kimber K6. That being said, I would buy at least one if not 2 of the 2.5" 642 Centennials with the no lock. I think this upgrades the Smith into a much better catagory because of the improved front sight and the easy option to pin in a custom sight.

Wish I knew these were out originally.

User Tag List