Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a Manix 2, need some help

I didn't like the FRN grips on the Lightweight. They don't have the same smoth contour like on the Stretch, Delica, Endura. I was a 100% G10 guy until I bought my first Stretch. Those grips are awesome. I was actually disappointed in the Stretch with G10 grips. But the Manix 2 Lightweight grips left me unimpressed.

I love my Manix 2 w/G10. I have Delicas with FRN handles and greatly prefer G10.

Mine is 'just' S30V. I'd like to have the black blade in M4 with natural G10. Looks cool and M4 is said to take a keen edge for those into unnecessarily sharp knives. (I am.)

The Manix 2 is highly flickable, which is a bonus.

------

I've sharpened a lot with the Sharpermaker. Forget about the brown rods if the edge is very dull and don't even think about using them to reprofile (and just because it's a Spyderco knife don't assume it will match the 20° Sharpmaker angle.)

Sharpmaker diamond rods are pricey. Instead, you can lay a DMT diamond stone (like the Diafold) over the factory rods. You get the same visual guide of the Sharpmaker but with much faster cutting stones. Diafolds are handy portable sharpeners as well, which is another reason to buy them instead of Spyderco diamond rods.

However, I have the ultrafine ceramic Sharpmaker that I really like.

DMT coarse -> DMT fine -> Spyderco Ceramic fine -> Ceramic ultrafine -> Ken Schwartz CBN emulsions on balsa strops is the heat for S30V and any 'lesser' steel. I can't say from experience now the ceramic rods handle the newer super steels, but the DMT stones and the CNN emulsions will be good to go on just about anything, I think.

And you can prop up one side of the Sharpmaker for a more acute angle.

I wasn't a fan of the Sharpmaker at first but now that I can reprofile everything with the diamond stones very quickly, I've come to love it.
    Last edited by BigD; 01-11-2020 at 10:16 AM.

I've got the black M4 bladed PM2 with natural G10. Sold the backup to a guy on bladeforums a few months ago.

Like you, I reserve the Sharpmaker for touch-ups. I have tons of diamond bench stones, (plated and bonded), AlOx and SiC water and oil bench stones, plus ceramic bench stones all over the house. I'm never far from something to sharpen with. I think I enjoy the sharpening gear as much as the knives.

That said, I usually just pick up a small 1x5" hone for most freehand sharpening during the day.
    Last edited by blues; 01-11-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List