Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a Manix 2, need some help

Thinking about a Manix 2, need some help

Ok, so I’ve become something of a Spyderco junkie by accident. I’ll skip the whole story and just get to the meat. I don’t have a Manix 2, and I’m thinking it may be time to rectify that. I’m trying to decide between 2 models. The first is the basic Manix 2 with CPMS30V steel and black G10 grips. The other is the LW version with translucent blue FRCP grip and the CTS-BD1N steel.

What will I use it for? Mostly EDC and probably some use at work. It’ll cut cardboard, some zip ties, some small gauge electrical wire, stuff like that. It won’t be used to cut down small trees or anything crazy like that. I’ve been using a Delica 4 at work for all this stuff and it’s doing fine, so I doubt the LW Manix would have any issues holding up.

I know both versions can be had with fancier steels like S110V and Maxamet. I don’t really trust my sharpening skills enough to go that route. I’d rather use an easier to sharpen steel and just stay on top of maintenance than have something that holds an edge longer but is a real bear to get back into shape. That said, if someone an give me some pointers on S110V and a Spyderco Sharpmaker, I could be talked into going that route.

At any rate, if anyone wants to share their Manix 2 stories and advice, I’m all ears. I’ll probably order this weekend after I get some feedback here.

The manix 2 seems a bit overkill for those task. Have you looked into the paramilitary line? That said, im a huge s30v fan.

Jared, it's hard to go wrong with any of the Spyderco models in general. The Manix 2 has a nice stout frame, the ball bearing lock and a thin leaf shaped blade. It's actually slightly thinner stock compared to the Paramilitary 2 as I recall. Either one of those models would probably serve you well.

As far as the steels go, some folks report the S110V as being a bit chippy...but Jim Ankerson has a different perspective you may find of interest.

Regarding the Sharpmaker...If you don't let the knife get dull before performing periodic maintenance, you can get by using the Sharpmaker with the standard stones. I recommend just using the brown stones for a slightly coarser edge which works well with high carbide steels. Also, you can get the diamond or CBN rods to augment the ceramic rods.
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    The manix 2 seems a bit overkill for those task. Have you looked into the paramilitary line? That said, im a huge s30v fan.
    Should have probably stated I’ve got a PM2, Para 3 and a Para 3 LW. I kinda wanna try the Manix now to see how I like it. Most people seem to prefer the Paramilitary and it’s family but I’ve read others that really really love the Manix.

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  44.9 KB

I’m quite fond of mine. CPM-M4 is a great cutting steel, but requires more diligent maintenance than a similar blade in S30V to prevent staining, rust, and/or pits.

The lock is really cool.

I like the Manix 2 a lot because I find the grip shape to be real comfortable. I have had both the 154cm hollow ground and s30v flat ground models. To be honest I did not find much difference between the two when used for my most common task of cutting open boxes. I currently carry a Manix 2 with M4 steel, but only because I wanted to try something different not because the standard steels are inadequate. The lock has been very reliable, too. I am sure you will like either model you buy, but I like the weight and strength of the full liners of the standard model. It might be heavier and thicker than the Delica, too but I am not sure.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-08-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Jared, it's hard to go wrong with any of the Spyderco models in general. The Manix 2 has a nice stout frame, the ball bearing lock and a thin leaf shaped blade. It's actually slightly thinner stock compared to the Paramilitary 2 as I recall. Either one of those models would probably serve you well.

As far as the steels go, some folks report the S110V as being a bit chippy...but Jim Ankerson has a different perspective you may find of interest.

Regarding the Sharpmaker...If you don't let the knife get dull before performing periodic maintenance, you can get by using the Sharpmaker with the standard stones. I recommend just using the brown stones for a slightly coarser edge which works well with high carbide steels. Also, you can get the diamond or CBN rods to augment the ceramic rods.
    So, the only tip I really saw regarding S110V was to just use the brown stones on the Sharpmaker and leave it at that. I’ve been using both stones when I sharpen my other knives, but the “best” steel I have is S30V on a Para 3 and a Paramilitary 2. My rule thus far has been to use until the knife won’t catch my thumbnail anymore, then sharpen on the Sharpmaker. So far, it’s kept me from spending any long sessions sharpening.

I’m glad you responded, I’ve been looking at your pics in the blade pic thread in the gallery. I’m jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    So, the only tip I really saw regarding S110V was to just use the brown stones on the Sharpmaker and leave it at that. I’ve been using both stones when I sharpen my other knives, but the “best” steel I have is S30V on a Para 3 and a Paramilitary 2. My rule thus far has been to use until the knife won’t catch my thumbnail anymore, then sharpen on the Sharpmaker. So far, it’s kept me from spending any long sessions sharpening.

I’m glad you responded, I’ve been looking at your pics in the blade pic thread in the gallery. I’m jealous.
    The higher carbide steels, (4% Vanadium Carbide and higher), generally perform better with coarser edges than fine edges. That said you can tune them for the work you plan to do. For push cutting a finer edge will work better. Slicing and general work, coarser wins the day.

But if you do get the 110V I think you'll probably want the option of a coarser hone, (diamond, CBN, silicon carbide at 300 to 400 grit), for when you need to do more than just a touch-up.

Nothing wrong with S30V and honestly, I think people get caught up in chasing the hot steels when they really won't see much difference in performance for everyday tasks.

ETA: I only have one Manix 2, in 52100. I have several other Spydercos ...PM2, Shaman, Military, Police 4 etc in many other "premium" stainless and tool steels.
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I had Manix 2 with the G10 grips. I don't remember which steel though. It has a very solid lock up and felt great in my hand. When we moved from TN to KS, the moving dolly broke while the movers were taking my gun safe down into the basement. The 19 year old kid below the safe was almost crushed. I knew he really like my Manix, so I gave it to him as an extra tip at the end of the job. Every month since then I've thought of buying another one. I like the Benchmade mini-grip that I carry now, but it seems awfully pedestrian compared to the Manix 2.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

First of all, you can't go wrong with any Manix, they are really that good! I'm usually not a huge fan of large finger choils, but the ergonomics of the handle are near perfect for me, so I'll overlook the choil issue.
    I carried a Manix 2 Lightweight S110V for several years, it's a great EDC because it is so light! S110V was up to the task, no rust, no chipping, but I reprofiled the edge after getting it, maybe that's why I never saw any issues.
    Regarding weight, be aware that the standard G10 models have full, non-relieved steel liners, making them fairly heavy. Only the 'special' models have relieved steel liners, saving you 0.7 oz. The S110V version in G10 also has the relieved liners.
    Your question comes a few months too late, because otherwise I would have told you to absolutely jump on the limited offering of a Manix 2 in brown G10 and M390 steel. Dream setup, I bought 3!!!
    Anyway, that last thing to know is that the Manix takes up a lot of pocket space because it is fairly wide, but not even that can stop me from carrying one near daily.

User Tag List