Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Neck knife safety/retention

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Because it’s relevnat to OP’s geography and use situation:

I had the security guard at the Japanese museum in San Francisco (it’s not a large museum) notice the knife clipped in my right pocket and refuse me entry unless I left it at the security office. That was surprising to a kid from Alabama who had never been questioned about a knife clip before, luckily he was so distracted with that one I was able to get the knife that was clipped on my left pocket hidden. That was tthirteen years ago when I was younger and dumber. Now I normally don’t carry any knives clipped to my pockets.
    I actually had a 60 year old woman try to grill me as to why I felt the need to have a 3.5" pocket knife clipped to my pocket once.

Things are different on the west coast.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Has anybody actually needed a knife for defensive purposes?
    I brandished one once to give a suspected assailant the impression that there would be easier pickings elsewhere. (I was walking across Washington Sq. Park late at night after drinking more than I should probably have in a local bar.) The individual took the message to heart and made a hard 90 degree turn.

I've also fought off an assailant with a knife. (He had the knife. Not me.) It did require a skin graft to my left index finger but that was the extent of it.

Not much to speak of.
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Interesting. The two Izulas Jeff gave us needed a solid yank to withdraw from the sheath. I wonder if they changed the production after we got ours at the Blade Show 8 or 9 years ago.
    My understanding is the original sheaths were kydex, mine was injection molded and eventually loosened over time. Nothing a custom sheath couldn’t resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Forgot to add:

I also wind up carrying the folder AIWB because there's often a J-frame in my right front pocket. You can either have a J-frame in your pocket or a knife, but not both....

As an aside, Levi 559s have pockets that are big enough for a J-frame. Is it just me or are pockets getting bigger in newer pants? Perhaps because of smart phones?

Maybe it's been that way for a while. I only buy new clothes when my wife throws my old ones away when I'm not looking.
    I don’t carry folders at all and prefer aiwb weakside of a small fixed blade. Right now it’s a Becker/esee bk 21, which is the bk14 in d2 and unfortunately discontinued. I do really like the esee’s handle and this sheath offers a pivoting thumb stud for retention.

And yes, Levi’s offers what they call “tech pockets” on some of their jeans. They’re extra deep and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    My understanding is the original sheaths were kydex, mine was injection molded and eventually loosened over time. Nothing a custom sheath couldn’t resolve.
    Ours are / were injection molded. One I don't have anymore because I sent it one of our members here for his son.

The one Becker I have which is sized for neck or other carry has a handle which I consider too long. It's otherwise a nice knife. Ethan is good people.
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I spend a portion of every workday trying to help people who were sexually assaulted in the military. This makes me want to buy one for myself, and a case to send to a deployed unit.
    Right? There is a reason that J Shirley and S Owens worked so hard to get it to market.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I do not!!! ETA saw the answer above. I knew the backstory, not the name
    This was open knowledge back in the pre-PF days when I was a highroad denizen. As an aside, I have a custom Sam Owens “shivver," essentially a small seax that he and John also came up with in roundabout fashion.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Yes.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Give it a shot. If you don't like it, give it away here on the forum and I'll reimburse you the cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Personally, no. I've got several in my case files, though. My favorite being the delivery guy who carried a fixed blade and literally gutted an armed robber in a doorway. There were two more suspects who fled at the sight of their cohort holding his intestines.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Yes.

Few ill mention:

1: Was attacked by an aggressive dog. He become much less aggressive when slashed by a kabar TDI.

2: Once I was staying with a friend in another state and didn't have my firearm. He was at work so I walked down to a corner store to purchase some supplies. As I was leaving I noticed a man exhibiting some pre-inicident indicators start to follow in behind me. I, in a very pronounced manner, flicked open my ZT 0350 (good size folder) and pretended to clean my finger nails. He promptly went the other way.

3: When I was 18 or so I had three guys with blunt weapons chase me into the woods threating to kill me. They were on drugs. All I had was a small slip joint folder. I remember thinking "Sure wish I had something bigger!" Luckily they didn't find me.

Site Supporter
    Regarding access, if you wear a tucked in shirt, a neck knife will not be as easy or fast to access as a pocket clipped folder.

I do not see them as replacing a pocket clipped folder, but there is nothing wrong with having one in addition to that folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Yes.

1. When I was 13 or 14 I used a brandished knife (4” Case lock-back) and all the attitude I could muster to prevent a dude from kidnapping me.

There were two other times where sketchy folks sizing me up decided to leave when they saw me get “something” out of my pocket.

User Tag List