Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neck knife safety/retention

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have a really dichotomous existence.

Most of the time I work from home on a rural property on the border of a national forest. When I'm not at my desk during work hours, its not unusual to see me toting a .357, a lever action, or a sheath knife. Sometimes all three.

When I go into my office, I'm in a "go to Federal prison" NPE, so I carry nothing there.

Where the neck knife comes into play is we are homeschooling our daughter, so we often find ourselves at functions and places in Portland and Seattle like museums that are "soft" NPEs, and even so much as a folder visibly clipped to a pocket make me stand out among the "progressive crowd." That's J-frame territory, and I'm wondering if a neck knife might have a place there as well.
    You have nothing to lose by trying, especially at CRKT prices. Even if you decide it doesn't fit a lot of your needs, you'll probably find a number of needs it does around the home, garage, property etc. Give it a shot. If you don't like it, give it away here on the forum and I'll reimburse you the cost.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Depending on your build and mode of dress you might find even a small neck knife isn't particularly concealed, especially as it moves.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    The biggest issue I have had with neck knives is the ball chain becoming visible. This has happened even under button front shirts with button down collars.

I also thread the ball chain through a 6-7 inch section of hollowed out paracord and put that paracord between the chain and sheath to prevent clicking.

Retention of the knife in the sheath has never been an issue.

I have also never had anyone question a knife clipped to my pocket, even when carrying one that stands out like a fart in church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I would not recommend the izula with stock injection molded sheath as a neck knife. I carried one “semi-Mexican” carry at work “landscaping” aiwb, with the sheath tethered to my belt via para cord. When outside the pants the knife is inverted in the sheath, which would happen sometimes if I was involved in a project where I was using the knife much.
    I no longer own the knife because the last time it fell out of the sheath and into the etheric

Honestly I don’t miss it much as I tired quickly of the maintenance the softer heat treat and corrosion prone high-carbon steel required for what I was using it for at the time.

One option I do like for npe’s is a folding knife tucked into the waistband so that the clip is hidden behind the zipper flap and belt buckle. I’ve used this a lot and nobody has ever noticed the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    One option I do like for npe’s is a folding knife tucked into the waistband so that the clip is hidden behind the zipper flap and belt buckle. I’ve used this a lot and nobody has ever noticed the knife.
    That's an option I've used a bunch as well. I'm just thinking of playing with a neck knife to see if accessing that is quicker than digging out a folder and opening it.

Thanks.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I would not recommend the izula with stock injection molded sheath as a neck knife. I carried one “semi-Mexican” carry at work “landscaping” aiwb, with the sheath tethered to my belt via para cord. When outside the pants the knife is inverted in the sheath, which would happen sometimes if I was involved in a project where I was using the knife much.
    I no longer own the knife because the last time it fell out of the sheath and into the etheric

Honestly I don’t miss it much as I tired quickly of the maintenance the softer heat treat and corrosion prone high-carbon steel required for what I was using it for at the time.

Interesting. The two Izulas Jeff gave us needed a solid yank to withdraw from the sheath. I wonder if they changed the production after we got ours at the Blade Show 8 or 9 years ago.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's an option I've used a bunch as well. I'm just thinking of playing with a neck knife to see if accessing that is quicker than digging out a folder and opening it.

Thanks.
    Forgot to add:

I also wind up carrying the folder AIWB because there's often a J-frame in my right front pocket. You can either have a J-frame in your pocket or a knife, but not both....

As an aside, Levi 559s have pockets that are big enough for a J-frame. Is it just me or are pockets getting bigger in newer pants? Perhaps because of smart phones?

Maybe it's been that way for a while. I only buy new clothes when my wife throws my old ones away when I'm not looking.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Has anybody actually needed a knife for defensive purposes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have also never had anyone question a knife clipped to my pocket, even when carrying one that stands out like a fart in church.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because it’s relevnat to OP’s geography and use situation:

I had the security guard at the Japanese museum in San Francisco (it’s not a large museum) notice the knife clipped in my right pocket and refuse me entry unless I left it at the security office. That was surprising to a kid from Alabama who had never been questioned about a knife clip before, luckily he was so distracted with that one I was able to get the knife that was clipped on my left pocket hidden. That was tthirteen years ago when I was younger and dumber. Now I normally don’t carry any knives clipped to my pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Has anybody actually needed a knife for defensive purposes?
    Yes.

User Tag List