Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck knife safety/retention

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    There are certain circumstances where a neck knife might make sense for me.

My concern is having the knife pop out of the sheath, and leave me with a sharp chunk of steel floating around inside my shirt. In particular, I'd hate for that to happen when I'm carrying my 5 year old around, or in a clinch or rolling ground fight.

Any thoughts?

In particular I'm looking at the CRKT SPEW.

I don't think in this application I need to worry too much about fancy steel, so I'm ok going low dollar UNLESS I need to spend more to get something with a sheath that will hold onto the knife.

Anybody have a problem with a neck knife coming out during rigorous activity?
    I've been wearing neck knives daily for over 20 years. The only ones that ever threatened to come out were in poorly formed sheathes to begin with.

I've run with them, tackled and arrested folks in need of same and never had an issue.

I do not run paracord except through the holes in the sheath to keep the bead chain from clicking.

You want something, as BBI said, that will break away if you get hung up somehow, or someone tries to strangle you with the necklace.

Neck knives are awesome and a great piece of kit.

Name:  Darrel Ralph Neck Knife.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  55.3 KB
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've been wearing neck knives daily for over 20 years. The only ones that ever threatened to come out were in poorly formed sheathes to begin with.

I've run with them, tackled and arrested folks in need of same and never had an issue.

I do not run paracord except through the holes in the sheath to keep the bead chain from clicking.

You want something, as BBI said, that will break away if you get hung up somehow, or someone tries to strangle you with the necklace.

Neck knives are awesome and a great piece of kit.
    Thank you. Which models are you running?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I don't know the original working name, but would be keen to know.

The more I'm looking at my options, the more the ARK might be the one.
    "Anti-Rape Knife." Designed as a counter-assault knife wearable in showers. From there, I believe Spyderco went with "Always Ready" and some dealers in the know still use "Active Resistance."

At any rate, the initial impetus way back in the day was incidences of sexual assault in .mil.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thank you. Which models are you running?
    Mine are all pretty much custom knives. I have worn an ESEE Izula I was gifted by Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin years ago, but haven't lately.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Mine are all pretty much custom knives. I have worn an ESEE Izula I was gifted by Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin years ago, but haven't lately.
    Cool.

Also, next time you need to mod a chain to keep it from clicking, heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer might help you out.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Cool.

Also, next time you need to mod a chain to keep it from clicking, heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer might help you out.
    If you just cut a small piece of paracord and pull out the inner strands it makes a quick and dirty tunnel for the chain. Plus it can still slide.

Never tried the heat shrink tubing but will bear it in mind. I've got plenty of paracord lying around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    "Anti-Rape Knife." Designed as a counter-assault knife wearable in showers. From there, I believe Spyderco went with "Always Ready" and some dealers in the know still use "Active Resistance."

At any rate, the initial impetus way back in the day was incidences of sexual assault in .mil.
    I spend a portion of every workday trying to help people who were sexually assaulted in the military. This makes me want to buy one for myself, and a case to send to a deployed unit.

I completely agree.

And...

Much like a J-frame or other pocket pistol is a compromise that is dictated by circumstances, a neck knife isn't my first (or even second) preference for a way to carry a defensive knife, but sometimes its a good choice when all the other factors are considered.
    We've all got to dress and walk in the manner that our way of life has set forth; I get it. If you're comfortable in the sharing, how do you generally dress during the periods when a neck knife is most viable or out-competing other options?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The designer was solid. You know the original working name, yes?
    I do not!!! ETA saw the answer above. I knew the backstory, not the name
    Last edited by JHC; 01-08-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    We've all got to dress and walk in the manner that our way of life has set forth; I get it. If you're comfortable in the sharing, how do you generally dress during the periods when a neck knife is most viable or out-competing other options?

I have a really dichotomous existence.

Most of the time I work from home on a rural property on the border of a national forest. When I'm not at my desk during work hours, its not unusual to see me toting a .357, a lever action, or a sheath knife. Sometimes all three.

When I go into my office, I'm in a "go to Federal prison" NPE, so I carry nothing there.

Where the neck knife comes into play is we are homeschooling our daughter, so we often find ourselves at functions and places in Portland and Seattle like museums that are "soft" NPEs, and even so much as a folder visibly clipped to a pocket make me stand out among the "progressive crowd." That's J-frame territory, and I'm wondering if a neck knife might have a place there as well.

User Tag List