Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck knife safety/retention

Neck knife safety/retention

There are certain circumstances where a neck knife might make sense for me.

My concern is having the knife pop out of the sheath, and leave me with a sharp chunk of steel floating around inside my shirt. In particular, I'd hate for that to happen when I'm carrying my 5 year old around, or in a clinch or rolling ground fight.

Any thoughts?

In particular I'm looking at the CRKT SPEW.

I don't think in this application I need to worry too much about fancy steel, so I'm ok going low dollar UNLESS I need to spend more to get something with a sheath that will hold onto the knife.

Anybody have a problem with a neck knife coming out during rigorous activity?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I wear this little guy at work: https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Minimali...dp/B0030IT76C/ I bought it back in March of 2016 per Amazon.

I replaced the paracord with a regular dog tag chain. I'd rather have something that breaks if I'm going to have it around my neck. I've had a few wrestling matches, laid on the ground, etc. and it's never came loose.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As soon as I posted this, I realized I've been thinking of buying an ESEE Izula for a while, and it is also suitable for neck carry.

Any thoughts on that one?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

After spydercomonkey explained this one I got one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's sheath is very secure with a tab/lever one has to press to disengage the "lock" and pull the knife.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thank you both.

Neck knives can be troublesome to access in-entanglement, and require a cord or chain of sufficient tensile strength to overcome their retention.

On the first, they move around quite a bit, even when you're not connected to another human being. The first part of tool access is thus finding it and gripping it appropriately. Imperfect drawstrokes with a locked+neutral wrist may also present concerns with the edge and one's own body; and a perfect and straight downward drawstroke may not be feasible in-extremis. (A reverse-edged knife, like a flat-handled Clinch Pick does alleviate some of that latter concern.) Setting the sheath and exposed handle to rest between the pecs and across the xiphoid process is beneficial to concealment, but requires quite the dive under the cover garment in order to access; but at the other end, running it low enough to reduce that presents for a greater range of swinging.

While it's perhaps more a military concern than that of Dom-LE\earth-people, the snag\strangulation issue still floats in the back of my mind. Dog-tag chain will alleviate those concerns but more than likely snap when attempting to draw a knife with the retention normal to inverted carry. Badge chain or 550 cord won't, but raises other concerns when working in confined or industrial spaces.

I do think that inverted sheaths that are directly attached to concealed armor vests or to an under-shirt suspender make the concept more viable.

From the stand-up, it's relatively easy for the sheath to be pinned between the self and the opponent, even in a dominant position; and access would thus require compromising that in some way in order to access it. When grounded, the ability of a neck knife to really wander and change in orientation really starts to show itself as a concern - even before finding one's self in a more compromised position. Without gravity taking the slack out of the chain, the knife could be floating about anywhere within the reach of the chain and the limits of the overgarment.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    After spydercomonkey explained this one I got one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's sheath is very secure with a tab/lever one has to press to disengage the "lock" and pull the knife.
    The designer was solid. You know the original working name, yes?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Neck knives can be troublesome to access in-entanglement, and require a cord or chain of sufficient tensile strength to overcome their retention.

On the first, they move around quite a bit, even when you're not connected to another human being. The first part of tool access is thus finding it and gripping it appropriately. Imperfect drawstrokes with a locked+neutral wrist may also present concerns with the edge and one's own body; and a perfect and straight downward drawstroke may not be feasible in-extremis. (A reverse-edged knife, like a flat-handled Clinch Pick does alleviate some of that latter concern.) Setting the sheath and exposed handle to rest between the pecs and across the xiphoid process is beneficial to concealment, but requires quite the dive under the cover garment in order to access; but at the other end, running it low enough to reduce that presents for a greater range of swinging.

While it's perhaps more a military concern than that of Dom-LE\earth-people, the snag\strangulation issue still floats in the back of my mind. Dog-tag chain will alleviate those concerns but more than likely snap when attempting to draw a knife with the retention normal to inverted carry. Badge chain or 550 cord won't, but raises other concerns when working in confined or industrial spaces.

I do think that inverted sheaths that are directly attached to concealed armor vests or to an under-shirt suspender make the concept more viable.

From the stand-up, it's relatively easy for the sheath to be pinned between the self and the opponent, even in a dominant position; and access would thus require compromising that in some way in order to access it. When grounded, the ability of a neck knife to really wander and change in orientation really starts to show itself as a concern - even before finding one's self in a more compromised position. Without gravity taking the slack out of the chain, the knife could be floating about anywhere within the reach of the chain and the limits of the overgarment.
    I completely agree.

And...

Much like a J-frame or other pocket pistol is a compromise that is dictated by circumstances, a neck knife isn't my first (or even second) preference for a way to carry a defensive knife, but sometimes its a good choice when all the other factors are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The designer was solid. You know the original working name, yes?
    I don't know the original working name, but would be keen to know.

The more I'm looking at my options, the more the ARK might be the one.

Site Supporter
    I've owned the SPEW for about 2 years. I don't wear it much (more of a letter opener / box cutter for me) but I do like the neck lanyard it comes with and find the retention good as well. Snug but not so tight that the lanyard adjustment is affected when I pull the knife out. I've worn it around the garage, chores around the house a bunch, but never in a clinch.

FWIW.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List