Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Neck knife safety/retention

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Where the neck knife comes into play is we are homeschooling our daughter, so we often find ourselves at functions and places in Portland and Seattle like museums that are "soft" NPEs, and even so much as a folder visibly clipped to a pocket make me stand out among the "progressive crowd." That's J-frame territory, and I'm wondering if a neck knife might have a place there as well.
    This is just an idea I got reading your post, but would carrying a fixed blade in a pocket make sense to you in those circumstances? No telltale clip, and it would perhaps move about a bit less than a neck knife?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I wear this little guy at work: https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Minimali...dp/B0030IT76C/ I bought it back in March of 2016 per Amazon.

I replaced the paracord with a regular dog tag chain. I'd rather have something that breaks if I'm going to have it around my neck. I've had a few wrestling matches, laid on the ground, etc. and it's never came loose.
    I prefer paracord to chain, but I put a knot in it that will come apart. Tie both ends of the cord securely to the sheath. Then cut the cord wherever you want the knot to be. Put a bend in one end of the cord, and tie half of a fisherman's knot around it with the other end. It's secure enough to wear, but will pull apart under pressure.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    This is just an idea I got reading your post, but would carrying a fixed blade in a pocket make sense to you in those circumstances? No telltale clip, and it would perhaps move about a bit less than a neck knife?
    I've done that several times using a piece of paracord as a static line connected to the sheath. Grab handle, pull out of pocket and knife releases from sheath which dangles from the tether. Works well for retention or tactical use. Otherwise just a small fixed blade in pocket sheath will work as well when a static line is not desirable.
    Last edited by blues; 01-12-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Anytime I want a small, easy to hide, yet effective knife on me all day and want to forget its there, I use my Hideaway Knife. Love my little HAK.

I believe Craig used to promote these a long time ago before he developed the clinch pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's an option I've used a bunch as well. I'm just thinking of playing with a neck knife to see if accessing that is quicker than digging out a folder and opening it.

Thanks.
    Especially if you try with the Spyderco ARK or anything similarly sheathed - would you happen to have some paracord or similar cordage available, as well as a small keychain buckle or similar closure?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Especially if you try with the Spyderco ARK or anything similarly sheathed - would you happen to have some paracord or similar cordage available, as well as a small keychain buckle or similar closure?
    Oh yeah. I've got a box full of stuff like that. I'm going to order an ARK next week, and I'll commence playing with it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Ok! I'll grab a similarly setup sheath and some materials when I'm back in the shop and post you an option that might give you a better wear-option with minimal cost-increase.

You'll need probably about 72" of gutted 550 cord, and a 3/8"-3/4" side-release buckle with an integrated triglide on one kf the sides.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Name:  20200113_192947.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  20200113_192805.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  20200113_193201.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Sheaths_53.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  17.3 KB

I'd recommend to start with ***9' of gutted 550 cord. That's a Cobra FM buckle, but it's overkill for what you need, I just found it first before any of the 1/2" and 3/4" polymer SR buckles that I know that I have laying about.

Girth hitch the 550 cord through the non-adjusting buckle first, and add additional wraps and routing so that the cordage doesn't slip back and forth through the gate.

Route the free ends of the cordage through eyelets on one side of the sheath from the front side towards the back side, then run them straight across to the opposing eyelets on the far side, routing them from back side to front side.

Stretch the free ends out straight, cross them over so that the bottom strand is now the top strand and vice versa, feed them through the buckle's first gate (nearest to the attaching segment) from back side to front side, and then back through the second gate from front side to back side.

Knot the free ends together.

Don the sheath by slipping the appropriate arm between the cordage nearest the sheath and pass the free end (with captive buckle) to the opposite hand, twist the buckle once (creating the X across the shoulder blades) and pass that hand between the strands feeding into the floating buckle, and close the buckle. Adjust tension to reach the desired snugness and ride-height.

Preferred rideheight places the sheath between the pectoral muscles and in the natural cleft between their fullest measurement, generally overriding the xiphoid process. If female, adjust slightly lower so that the upper reaches of the sheath overlaps onto the bridge connecting a bra's individual cups (if applicable), but not so high that the sheath is climbing the negative slope beneath each cup. The lower strands, as worn, should ride beneath the pectoral muscle and\or cups of the bra.

Trim the free ends as appropriate, for neatness and reduced printing.

A 1/2" side-release buckle would probably be the best pairing with 550 cord being ~1/4" in width when laying flat.

---

All of this is not nearly so convenient to don as a neck knife, but would alleviate the choking and wandering concerns. I still think it'd work best with a pikal sort of knife, but can appreciate the cost-increase that goes with that.
    Last edited by runcible; 01-13-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    The harness in the above post is a nice idea. My only concern would be someone feeling the cord if they happen to touch he wearer’s back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Were cost not the reality and limiter that it is, and if I had to run one of these full time (which I don't expect to be the case), I'd want something resembling one of the following:

Flat-Wrapped Clinch Pick (whether Ban Tang or a customized China Pick, design by Craig Douglas)
    https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/ba...h-pick-review/
    Name:  Ban-Tang-Clinch-Pick-3rd.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  32.0 KB

Joe Watson's CT-P
    https://www.monkeyedge.com/Joe-Watso...0198-mw773.htm
    Name:  507579-fa82e923dfb00ced7bbadecf41c83138.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  7.9 KB

Overwatch Precision and Special Circumstances collaboration Maleficus
    https://overwatchprecision.com/SR
    Name:  overwatch-precision-maleficus-op-knife-titanium-knife-phlster-special-circumstances-gunblog-knif.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  40.5 KB

Flat, edged sufficient to make cutting one's self on the drawstroke much less likely, and sufficiently shaped and edged for what may be required.

1/2" SR Buckles:
    https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-We...8963865&sr=8-3
    Last edited by runcible; 01-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List