Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta PD "Zero Chase" policy

I live and work in the "Greater Atlanta Metro Area". As a rule, I stay out of Atlanta. In most cases, criminals move with impunity. Daily shootings, carjackings, home invasions, etc. If it bleeds, it leads on the nightly news. This will further galvanize and embolden the criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I strongly suspect that before I retire a trunk deployable drone will be as common as stop sticks. A couple of drones and a moving perimeter would be able to replace surface street chases pretty easily. Interstate, maybe not so much.
    The well-prepared criminal will have chaff and flares....

I can see an automatic tracking drone. The technology exists today.
    Last edited by peterb; 01-08-2020 at 06:28 PM.

I strongly suspect that before I retire a trunk deployable drone will be as common as stop sticks. A couple of drones and a moving perimeter would be able to replace surface street chases pretty easily. Interstate, maybe not so much.
    In my area drones are widely used with local Leo’s. Many pursuits have been ended when a drone was deployed and infrared cameras found the dirtbags after they bailed on foot from the vehicle.

I agree in the next 10 years or so helicopters will be replaced by long range drones.

I see crooks lighting up squad cars and driving away with no one chasing. Even if you did start a pursuit it’d be terminated before you could blink. That’s a stupid policy even if it’s “temporary”.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    I live and work in the "Greater Atlanta Metro Area". As a rule, I stay out of Atlanta. In most cases, criminals move with impunity. Daily shootings, carjackings, home invasions, etc. If it bleeds, it leads on the nightly news. This will further galvanize and embolden the criminals.
    This. I live 47 miles from Downtown Atlanta. I work Downtown Atlanta and my work requires a lot of travel. I would rather have a long commute versus worrying about my wife living "ITP" or "Inside the Perimeter" aka inside the 285 highway that circles Atlanta.

On the evening news, there is a steady litany of carjackings, home invasions, driveby shootings, and so on - every night. I am specifically amazed at the amount of crime and shootings conducted by junior high aged "children".

There is constant discussion that Atlanta does not prosecute property crime so I guess I can see why Atlanta PD would not want to risk citizen and PD lives if the suspect will not be prosecuted anyway.

Here, evading in a motor vehicle is a felony (albeit the lowest type) and if I can prove you endangered lives (i.e. heavy traffic) it becomes a higher grade of felony. Both are probatable, but both also carry mandatory minimum jail time.

I have a difficult time fathoming not prosecuting somebody aggressively for taking the police on a pursuit through a heavily urbanized area like Atlanta. I agree that chasing speeders for the sake of chasing speeders, particularly through an urban area, is stupid. But banning every pursuit -- even temporarily? Often times there's a "good" reason people flee the police, and it often involves an underlying felony.
    Last edited by ssb; 01-08-2020 at 08:37 PM.

I’ve never seen them in person but how well do those “star chaser” gizmos work? Anyone here have experience with them?

While no (zero) chase is a lousy idea, think about this a bit ...

How many of your subordinates are you willing to risk when the prosecutors and courts will dismiss the pursuit charges completely out of hand?
    How many decent, normal human beings are you willing to risk as well? Especially knowing your subordinates and you, not the bad guys/gals, will be blamed?
    How much drivers training time in a car, not a simulator, do your people have at speed? Performing a PIT or ram? Then transitioning to an HRVS?

The public has decided they want these policies. If they didn't, they would vote differently and/or demand serious prosecutors. They don't worry about the consequences to the victims of crimes.

Oddly, in my Cal county - where little is still criminal - it seemed our pursuits increased as the laws & consequences decreased. I did not, however, run the numbers before retiring.

That the chief is willing to revisit it after an evaluation of policy and training is pretty encouraging - if you believe you & your people will be supported for chasing BadGuys.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Fulton District Attorney Paul Howard responded...“I am not sure of the connection between police chase policies and a flawed judicial system...
    Case in point:

Recent brief on a pursuit of a stolen vehicle resulting in apprehension after a PIT: "The driver had an open warrant for Auto Theft and there was marijuana in the vehicle. The driver admitted to being high on marijuana and meth.
    Anyone want to guess how many priors? Nah, probably his first outing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Memphis, Jackson, Mississippi, New Orleans, and Atlanta have the same demographics and same high crime rates. Perhaps their police administrators studied the same books.

User Tag List