Name:  Chase.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  55.1 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I guess Newark is next...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

"this decision may drive crime up"

not like serving the public is your sole purpose or anything..
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

This kind of policy was disastrous in Milwaukee. We're still trying to recover from it.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    "this decision may drive crime up"

not like serving the public is your sole purpose or anything..
    Domestic law enforcement has, broadly, been about "preservation of life" over "deterrence of crime" for quite awhile. If you witness an injury hit/run you're supposed to stop and render aid to the injured, not chase the hit/run suspect. This is an outgrowth of that, combined with liability. The pendulum continues to swing that way.

Anyway,

I saw this on PoliceOne and almost posted it a few days back. A blanket prohibition seems ridiculous. You can't chase an active shooter? I get it's "temporary" while they look at their existing policies, but wow.

We are in the process of slightly tightening our pursuit policy to eliminate pursuing for traffic infractions with no other reasonable suspicion only. Honestly, we don't do a lot of that anyway. It's not worth getting someone hurt or killed over.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

So criminals now have the reasonable expectation that they can flee the scene of a crime, or even bolt from a traffic stop without consequence? Carjack people and no one will chase them? Really, WTF?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-08-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So criminals now have the reasonable expectation that they can flee the scene of a crime, or even bolt from a traffic stop without consequence? Carjack people and no one will chase them? Really, WTF?
    Correct. That's exactly what happened in Milwaukee.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Is this policy in effect for crimes perpetrated against the political class of Atlanta or just for crimes against the little people?
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I almost got fired in FTEP for terminating a pursuit and flatly refusing to continue when my FTO ordered me to. We were chasing a guy on a sportbike who ran a stop sign in front of us. After he almost T-boned a minivan, passed a pedestrian with about six inches to spare, and headed into the downtown core area just as school was getting out, I shut off the lights and slowed down.

I had a non-trivial concern me and the FTO were going to get into a fist fight but I wasn't going to back down because we had the guy's plates, and since he was wearing shorts and had distinctive tattoos on his calves, I felt like we'd catch up to him later.

In between bouts of arguing, I coordinated with our consolidated dispatch agency to have a neighboring jurisdiction check out the ROs address. About 45 minutes later they caught the guy in his driveway and hooked him for me.

My decision was controversial at the time, but I stood by it then, and do now.

A complete no-chase policy is stupid though.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 01-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Oh they just disbanded the narcotics unit too!

“The officers will be re-assigned to violent crimes since drugs are usually involved.”
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 01-08-2020 at 02:59 PM.

User Tag List