Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta PD "Zero Chase" policy

Banned
    I have a question

The email says the chief has a concern with the level of pursuit training and he says there's no point in chasing someone if the courts are going to let them go anyway.

If he's not making that up aren't those legitimate concerns?

He also says that certain officers are going to be specifically trained for pursuit then they'll be doing pursuits.

Is this not a good idea?

Site Supporter
    The subject of pursuits has been discussed locally the last couple days. An officer spotted a driver who had warrants for DUI and fleeing with reckless disregard. Big surprise here, the asshole didn't pull over. They ended up chasing him through the busiest part of town in excess of 60mph, until he crashed into a vehicle injuring a woman, and then drove his now on fire SUV into a pizza joint, which then caught fire and sustained major damage. That was the first of three chases in one day, in a town of 48,000 people. The second chase ended with the suspect crashing into a house and the third ended in someone's yard. None of the suspects were wanted for violent crimes.

I get not wanting to let assholes go but a lot of these just don't seem worth it.
    Last edited by scjbash; 01-09-2020 at 12:15 AM.

I feel the chief on this one. I work in a county that has recently had bail reform and most misdemeanor charges get a PR bond and most felonies are getting $100 bonds. Both are usually walking free again in 12 hrs. It's hard to argue that pursuits are worth the many risks when you have a DA and judges that let the crooks out the next day.

Also we have a fleet that's in deplorable condition, if we wreck a car I have to scrounge to find a replacement. I'm lucky if its 10 year old crown vic with 150k cop miles on it.
    Last edited by andre3k; 01-09-2020 at 03:55 AM.

Banned
    Recently in Colorado Springs there have been two use of force incidents. In both cases person was armed in one case he was pointing a gun at the police when they shot him.

During roughly the same time. There was another deadly force incident in Monument Colorado which is essentially a suburb of Colorado Springs. In that one the criminal was shooting some kind of BB gun at people and shot the windows out of a couple cop cars before they shot him.

In all three instances people are in the streets protesting the use of excessive force.

Can you imagine what they would do if an innocent bystander was killed in a police chase?
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-09-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I have a question

The email says the chief has a concern with the level of pursuit training and he says there's no point in chasing someone if the courts are going to let them go anyway.

If he's not making that up aren't those legitimate concerns?

He also says that certain officers are going to be specifically trained for pursuit then they'll be doing pursuits.

Is this not a good idea?
    Atlanta's chief is a she. Ericka Shields.

Yes, the potential outcome in court is something that should be considered.

All your street officers should be trained for pursuits. There's no time to call in a special "pursuit officer" when someone takes off. The officer who made the stop either starts a pursuit or they are gone.

None of that is a reason to go to a "zero pursuit" policy. As it stands right now if you witness an active shooter driving down the road shooting at traffic their policy says meh, we'll get him tomorrow.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Atlanta's chief is a she. Ericka Shields.

Yes, the potential outcome in court is something that should be considered.

All your street officers should be trained for pursuits. There's no time to call in a special "pursuit officer" when someone takes off. The officer who made the stop either starts a pursuit or they are gone.

None of that is a reason to go to a "zero pursuit" policy. As it stands right now if you witness an active shooter driving down the road shooting at traffic their policy says meh, we'll get him tomorrow.
    Thank you. I feel like there are risks involved w/ any police action. I'd rather the officer on the scene makes the decision as to what he/she should do. I'd much rather that than a blanket policy. Your example is a perfect illustration why this is a bad idea.

This pursuit policy isn't the only recent delusional dipshittery.

Ordered ICE detainees released (some having committed OTHER crimes as well)
    Banned jails from accepting transfers of ICE detainees

Atlanta is Neoleftist Nuckin' Futz...
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

The first thing that occurred to me when I saw this announcement - even if that is going to be your policy, why tell the criminals?

Its just political pacification to make it seem like they are doing something after a couple of pursuit related incidents.
    Last edited by DC_P; 01-09-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The way LE is going, pursuits will be a thing of the past...and the criminals will be better for it, not the police. Because they will be so far and far between, even with specialized training, even with special gadgets, and even with specialized pursuit qualified officers, every large pursuit for verifiable violent felonies will be a complete and utter cluster fuck - ala FL UPS truck type situation.

To everyone who isn't a LEO and doesn't understand the ramifications. No pursuit policies are born out of legal liability and a departments disregard for the safety of the general population over getting sued.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Many of you have expressed the idea that injuries to the public or the officers involved make pursuits not worth it. I take a longer view and am concerned about the over all increase in crime this will lead to or feed.

Liberal/leftist policies, soft on crime and criminals only and always lead to more crime and criminals. And when that happens who is blamed for not controlling it? Bingo! The people wearing the badges. Not the judges, not the prosecutors, and certainly not the politicians. The LEOs will be to blame for not stopping the carnage.

Dave

User Tag List