Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering limiting myself to one gun.

Banned

Seriously considering limiting myself to one gun.

I've said before that I've limited myself to two guns, a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. The OVERWHELMING majority of the time I carry the 26. In fact the only time I carry the 19 is when my wife and I go to church or when I go out with my wife during the day.

My rationale is first that I should carry the biggest gun circumstances permit and second because the 19 is the easier of the two for me to shoot well. Having said that I don't think I really shoot that much better with the 19 than the 26 and of course with a 19 reload I'm not giving up any capacity. I don't base what I carry on any threat assessments or anything like that, if things are so sketchy that I feel the need for a bigger gun I don't go.

My primary reason for considering this is simplification. I don't have to decide, I don't have to lock up the one and get out the other, I don't have to switch holsters. The only time there might be a minor hassle is if the holster for the 26 is already on my work pants. But none of those are performance issues.

Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-08-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I've said before that I've limited myself to two guns, a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. The OVERWHELMING majority of the time I carry the 26. In fact the only time I carry the 19 is when my wife and I go to church or when I go out with my wife during the day.

My rationale is first that I should carry the biggest gun circumstances permit and second because the 19 is the easier of the two for me to shoot well. Having said that I don't think I really shoot that much better with the 19 than the 26 and of course with a 19 reload I'm not giving up any capacity. I don't base what I carry on any threat assessments or anything like that, if things are so sketchy that I feel the need for a bigger gun I don't go.

My primary reason for considering this is simplification. I don't have to decide, I don't have to lock up the one and get out the other, I don't have to switch holsters. The only time there might be a minor hassle is if the holster for the 26 is already on my work pants. But none of those are performance issues.

Any input is appreciated.
    Redundancy is a thing, even nature recognizes it. You have two eyes, two kidneys etc for a reason.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You don't want to "limit" yourself - you're overthinking this. If you want to carry the 26 everywhere, do that and just leave the 19 at home, or by the bed. No reason to get rid of it. You're not going to get too many people here suggesting you abandon the 19 either.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher
    The only time there might be a minor hassle is if the holster for the 26 is already on my work pants.
    That's hardly a "hassle". Just swap 'em out.

Use your G19 holster, or get a new one. Then it's easy for you to carry a 19 or a 26.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    You don't want to "limit" yourself - you're overthinking this. If you want to carry the 26 everywhere, do that and just leave the 19 at home, or by the bed. No reason to get rid of it. You're not going to get too many people here suggesting you abandon the 19 either.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Redundancy is a thing, even nature recognizes it. You have two eyes, two kidneys etc for a reason.
    I never said I was getting rid of the 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Use your G19 holster, or get a new one. Then it's easy for you to carry a 19 or a 26.
    It's a very rare occasion that I go anywhere but work during the week. I've decided that [if the 26 holster is already on the work pants I'll just take the 19.
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-08-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    If turning the G19 into a permanent house pistol and exclusively carrying and shooting the G26 seems like a good idea, I don't see any big downside. Any gains you make with the G26 will help you shoot the G19 better too. I carry a factory +2 mag in my G26, which gives me 13 rounds in the pistol and a nice place for my pinky finger. It still conceals a little better than a G19. (I usually carry a G19 though, and I shoot my 19s much much more than my 26.)

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

If I was in your shoes, I'd carry the G19 at work for a few weeks and see if I even noticed the difference after a while.

So carry the 26. Put the 19 in a safe. No worries.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    If I was in your shoes, I'd carry the G19 at work for a few weeks and see if I even noticed the difference after a while.
    I carry the 26 because concealment is the limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    If turning the G19 into a permanent house pistol and exclusively carrying and shooting the G26 seems like a good idea, I don't see any big downside. Any gains you make with the G26 will help you shoot the G19 better too. I carry a factory +2 mag in my G26, which gives me 13 rounds in the pistol and a nice place for my pinky finger.
    So do I and a 19 magazine and as a reload.
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-08-2020 at 02:49 PM.

User Tag List