Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 .44 special, Delisted

my redhawk in 44 mag never leaves the safe. i also dont like the single spring mechanism. the S&W N frames fit me much better. 44 sp chambering in my world offers nothing. if ruger could chamber a GP100 in 44 mag i would be all over it. maybe someday

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's a siren's song. Set your rudder and lash yourself to the mast.
    Yeah. I like the versatility. Everything from 160gr wadcutters and cowboy loads to 300gr+ slugs. Depending on groove diameter, may be able to shoot the whole gamut of (cheap and plentiful) .45 Auto bullets in the middle. The .430 family just doesn't have the range. And I like that the bigger holes in the cylinder are reported to reduce peening by a useful amount.

But as usual with Smiths, initial research reveals there was a whole period of time when they were more likely than not to be defectively manufactured, so I need to learn a lot more and probably restrict myself (I keep saying that, and then not doing it) to in-person purchases.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-13-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've got to think a .45LC is just a lot more ballistically useful, with a much wider variety of projectiles that will work well at a variety of velocities.
    Absolutely; outside of something like a lightweight 20oz Bulldog type pistol, I cant see much point to the .44 special.

The 10mm GP100 holds 6 rounds instead of 5, has more power, more projectiles, and can also fire .40 S&W as 'specials.'

Likewise the .45 LC Redhawk can fire .45 LC, .45 LC+P (.44 Mag but in .45), and also fire .45 ACP with moonclips.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Likewise the .45 LC Redhawk can fire .45 LC, .45 LC+P (.44 Mag but in .45), and also fire .45 ACP with moonclips.
    Isn't there a significant difference in headspace between a .45 ACP with moonclips and a .45 LC?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Isn't there a significant difference in headspace between a .45 ACP with moonclips and a .45 LC?
    It uses 45 LC in a regular, non moon clip revolver fashion, and then uses the moonclips to fire .45 ACP / .45 Super. A really cool system:

Gunblast has a great review:
    https://gunblast.com/Ruger-RH45ACP.htm

And a review of the previous .45 LC redhawk, which displays the serious, .44 magnum power of the ".45 LC +P" loads the Redhawk can fire.

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-Redhawk45.htm

With this versatile option available, its hard to see the upside to .44 magnum, much less a .44 special.

Site Supporter
    As a fan of Skeeter Skelton's, I chased the 44 Special for 40 years or so. First one was one of the first two Charter Bulldogs to arrive in Tucson, AZ after their introduction (sometime back in the '70s). Since then I've owned S&Ws in two frame sizes (N & L) and two finishes (blued & stainless), a 1st Gen Colt SAA, and most recently a USFA 4-3/4" Rodeo.

I keep wanting to be a 44 Spl fan but even though I reload I never fall in love and end up selling them or trading them, usually on something in .45 cal. I'm particularly fond of 45 ACP revolvers and have owned both M-25s & M-625s with a couple 1917s tossed in.

I have even thought about this Ruger (LOL). Probably a good thing they discontinued it. Saves me from buying one and then loosing interest again. (smile)

Dave

Saw this one, looks tasty and seems like a bargain?
    https://www.anacortesgunshop.com/rug...s-steel-150783
    I know nuthin about the vendor, was just surfing GP100s

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've stopped in that shop a couple times. Real brick and mortar place. Telescopes for bird watching types (popular in that area), optics, cameras and firearms. Kinda neat little joint. I would deal with them with confidence.

It does appear that they have a "drop ship by distributor" program going, however, as there are many more guns on the site than in the store. They often are close, but never quite the best price on the web on things I've looked at.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I love mine. It’s a bit finicky when it comes to finding accurate ammo though. Very picky.

Name:  26936A87-50A9-4AB2-A1FC-5D3C371D690E.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  54.8 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I would deal with them with confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I love mine.
    I would be tempted, but I have a M69 4.2".
    I want something, damnit, but I am just not sure what it is. Was selling and saving for a 1301, and now am just not all that sure I really want that right now, especially considering I could probably scratch two itches for that much money. Am intrigued by the 686 Plus, maybe 3", and was looking at GP100 equivalents.

User Tag List