Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 .44 special, Delisted

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am wanting to buy something for the frickin joy of getting something.
    I think I am gonna focus on something 38/357 for now.
    I can help with that. I can sell you the empty plastic case from one of my .357 GPs. I'll even throw in a set of "poor decision purchase" inserts...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I can help with that. I can sell you the empty plastic case from one of my .357 GPs.
    Funny you say this, I recently threw away my accumulation of plastic boxes. Went through them and pulled out all of the locks and extra backstraps and such, and that almost filled a five gallon bucket! Once I sifted through it and threw away all of the redundant manuals and such there was not much to keep. Then I took a disk grinder and buzzed off the labels good enough to not be readable. Then I put them in a big trash bag and started wondering WTH to do with them. I really didn't want to put them all in the trash in front of my house (there were quite a few of them, way more than the number of guns I still have...) and I didn't want to take them to the dump and raise any questions. I ended up giving them to a buddy that threw them into his dumpster at his commercial building.

So you’re saying you’re ready to start a fresh collection? 🤣
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It is sad to see the GP100/44 line shrinking, but as stated it is not unexpected.

For myself, the .44 Special made a lot of sense. I decided on Special loads for all my Smiths long ago, and I'd already owned a Flattop and N-frame in the same chambering.

I hadn't dabbled with the Ruger DA's before and I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Some quick stoning and swapping with a Wolf spring and I was flat amazed by the smoothness of the GP action.

Probably one of the better bunny guns I've owned.

I would be tempted, but I have a M69 4.2".
    I want something, damnit, but I am just not sure what it is. Was selling and saving for a 1301, and now am just not all that sure I really want that right now, especially considering I could probably scratch two itches for that much money. Am intrigued by the 686 Plus, maybe 3", and was looking at GP100 equivalents.
    I talked myself into a 4.25” 69 a few years ago, saying that it was going to be a field gun for when I’m visiting friends in the upper peninsula of MI. And now that I’m moving to NH, I can claim it’s my moose and bear defense gun, my photography takes me out into the sticks. (Suuuure... in reality, I just wanted another toy.)

I’ve been slowly shooting one specific brand of magnums that I was getting from Walmart with the idea of reloading them to warm .44 Special levels for everyday range use. But, with that source gone I may need to start over so I have a few hundred identical once fired cases. Maybe I should just buy Starline or similar and be done with it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    It uses 45 LC in a regular, non moon clip revolver fashion, and then uses the moonclips to fire .45 ACP / .45 Super. A really cool system:

Gunblast has a great review:
    https://gunblast.com/Ruger-RH45ACP.htm

And a review of the previous .45 LC redhawk, which displays the serious, .44 magnum power of the ".45 LC +P" loads the Redhawk can fire.

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-Redhawk45.htm

With this versatile option available, its hard to see the upside to .44 magnum, much less a .44 special.
    The real draw of the 44 Magnum is factory ammo. It's far more common than 45 Colt ammo and it's all pretty good, much like the 30-06. I've found that 95% of 45 Colt factory ammo is SAA-level stuff and the other 5% is Ruger Only. A lot of the SAA-level stuff will barely stay on a pie plate past 25 yards. If you handload and you're not flying to a hunt, then 45 ACP/Colt all the way. If an airline is involved, then they're going to lose your bags at some point. 44 Magnum wins for that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I would love to get myself a 625 .45acp Mountain Gun. Considering what they go for I'll settle for my model of 1989.
    That's the Mountain Gun that should still be in production. They should also make a full-lug 4" Model 29/629.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That's the Mountain Gun that should still be in production. They should also make a full-lug 4" Model 29/629.

Okie John
    If they made a .45 ACP mountain gun again I might just grab one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

If anyone is looking for a 1761, there’s a used one at a store in NC. No affiliation.

https://edsgunshop.com/product/used-...tin-stainless/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    If anyone is looking for a 1761, there’s a used one at a store in NC. No affiliation.

https://edsgunshop.com/product/used-...tin-stainless/
    WOW That is $100 more than I gave for mine at the first of the year and $80 more than Grab-a-gun has it listed for now.

I found out my 3 inch shipped in 2017 and my 5 inch shipped in early 2018. The 3 inch has turned in some very good groups but was impacting 6 inches high at 20 yards with the rear sight run all the way down. Reading on the internet, this seems to have been the norm for '17 guns. I installed a much taller and narrower partridge style sight from Dawson and have only shot enough rounds to get the sights regulated back to center close. I like this sight so well I am going to order one for the 5 inch. I am having an issue with Unique and I have started a thread on the Reloading page about that and would appreciate any ideas on that if you got the time. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ave-a-question
    Thank you, FES

User Tag List